Fibromyalgia/ Chronic Pain And Exercise

Options
I have no motivation to exercise. I used to love it. I'd wake up and can't wait to put on my running shoes and move my body. Now, I hate it. It hurts to move. It hurts worse when I'm done moving. I know the pain is just a bunk signal, that I'm not hurting anything by moving. I usually feel a little better a day after a good sweat session but then I hurt again, and I don't want to. But then, like, I was on vacation in NYC for five days. We walked all over, up and down stairs, road the subway, etc. On the fourth day I hurt so bad I thought I was going to die. I had a fever, my hips were stiff and my stomach was swollen. Putting on clothes that even were a little tight caused excruciating pain. How can you choose mind over matter when it's your mind telling you that you're hurting?

Replies

• carinox25
    carinox25 Posts: 10 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have severe Rheumatoid Disease and Fibro. I started working out (slowly) in January. To get myself to workout, I try to keep in mind that long-run I will feel better. To get through the workout itself, I count. I know it sounds silly, but if I can focus on counting backwards from 1,000 (or some other number game) instead of pain I can usually workout longer with less frustration.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    carinox25 wrote: »
    I have severe Rheumatoid Disease and Fibro. I started working out (slowly) in January. To get myself to workout, I try to keep in mind that long-run I will feel better. To get through the workout itself, I count. I know it sounds silly, but if I can focus on counting backwards from 1,000 (or some other number game) instead of pain I can usually workout longer with less frustration.

That's a good idea. I try to distract myself and have recently been going with a friend who jabbers my ear off, which is a good thing. I went this AM and am kicking myself because I didn't bring a pair of stretchy pants to wear to wear to work. I think the after effects are almost worse than the during. During I'll be okish, but then after it feels like a truck hit me. I thought that feeling was supposed to lesson over time.
  • ringak
    ringak Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi. I also have fibro. I have gained 25lbs from medications and lack of moving. I am hoping that i can find a way to stop the weight gain and control my pain. This makes it so much harder. I too used to enjoy working out, now I have to be so careful or I can end in pain. I am going to try my best though:)
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    Options
    ringak wrote: »
    Hi. I also have fibro. I have gained 25lbs from medications and lack of moving. I am hoping that i can find a way to stop the weight gain and control my pain. This makes it so much harder. I too used to enjoy working out, now I have to be so careful or I can end in pain. I am going to try my best though:)

Yeah, that pretty much sums me up too.
  • jenlowlow
    jenlowlow Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I was finally diagnosed with fibromyalgia on Friday and told that increased exercise will help the symptoms; but I am in the same boat where the activities that I used to love doing just hurt now. I have been encouraged to try yoga, but are there any exercises/classes that you take that you like and don't inflame your symptoms?
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    Options
    jenlowlow wrote: »
    I was finally diagnosed with fibromyalgia on Friday and told that increased exercise will help the symptoms; but I am in the same boat where the activities that I used to love doing just hurt now. I have been encouraged to try yoga, but are there any exercises/classes that you take that you like and don't inflame your symptoms?

Nope. Almost everything causes a flare anymore. Hell working causes flares mid week. And I have a desk job.
  • mikeastarcher
    mikeastarcher Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My trainer recommended Myofascia release to help manage pain. My wife also uses the MELT Method®.

Myofascial release, also called the "trigger point method," is a massage technique in which the therapist uses gentle, sustained pressure on the problem areas to release adhesions and smooth out the fascia.
    Multiple studies show that myofascial release can result in decreased pain, better posture, reduced symptoms, increased range of motion and improved quality of life.

http://chronicfatigue.about.com/od/alternativetreatments/a/Myofascial-Release-For-Fibromyalgia.htm

The MELT Method® (MELT®) is a simple self-treatment that reduces chronic pain and helps you stay healthy, youthful, and active for a lifetime. Just 10 minutes of MELT three times a week is all you need to begin reducing the effects of accumulated tension and stress caused by daily living.

https://www.meltmethod.com/
  • jenlowlow
    jenlowlow Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    jenlowlow wrote: »

Nope. Almost everything causes a flare anymore. Hell working causes flares mid week. And I have a desk job.

Ah, I'm in the same boat; just sitting at my desk at work hurts. I guess I'll start with yoga since it's what my doctor recommended, though the myofascial release and MELT method that Mike mentioned sound like something I'll need to research.
  • ladymeldrum82
    ladymeldrum82 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I walk on my treadmill, do yoga, use a foam roller to gently strengthen my body... I take epsom salt soaks & do liver cleanses regularly to flush toxins... I go tanning at least once a month to boost my Vitamin D- my body doesn't store it properly... I make sure I eat at least 1000 calories Before I work out & I make sure I eat Enough calories... I take bioavailable vitamins daily... I've also found a great acupuncturist that does multiple treatments in each session & everytime I have a session, my pain drops drastically for a few days longer than the last session (meaning, after a session I'm currently going almost 2 weeks with about a 3rd of the pain I had before a session)...
  • sewicanquilt
    sewicanquilt Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This is the group for me! I, too, have fibro and arthritis and even the smallest things make me hurt worse. I am lucky to get 2,000 steps a day without pain, but I am not giving up. Steroid shots have helped me some. I am slowly starting to exercise with light weights in a chair on days when I just can't stand to stand or walk any more. I am sure it's not the same, but at least I am moving.
  • phys72
    phys72 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Sigh.... I feel your pain. My fibro is not too bad right now but I have multiple injuries and can't exercise.

My rheumatologist told me that mild exercise was good but to "not be the star in the class". Meaning, if I'm going to take water fitness (her suggestion for fibro patients) then I need to not do it to full intensity. She said that she has patients that will feel great one day and go for a long run. Feel fantastic and then a few days later they feel like they've been hit by a bus. this is probably why you hurt so bad on your 4th day of your NYC trip.

Have you tried water exercise? I've been told by all my doctors and PT's that being in water is great for fibro. I can't back this up because I haven't tried it.
  • sewicanquilt
    Options
    I have tried water exercise and for me, it was great while I was in the water, but once I got out I just wanted to melt into a pool of tears. Maybe I was overdoing???? If I lived closer to a pool/gym I would definitely try it again, however, because I really loved being able to work out without sweating! LOL
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    Options
    I walk on my treadmill, do yoga, use a foam roller to gently strengthen my body... I take epsom salt soaks & do liver cleanses regularly to flush toxins... I go tanning at least once a month to boost my Vitamin D- my body doesn't store it properly... I make sure I eat at least 1000 calories Before I work out & I make sure I eat Enough calories... I take bioavailable vitamins daily... I've also found a great acupuncturist that does multiple treatments in each session & everytime I have a session, my pain drops drastically for a few days longer than the last session (meaning, after a session I'm currently going almost 2 weeks with about a 3rd of the pain I had before a session)...

What in the world is a liver cleanse?
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    Options
    phys72 wrote: »
    Sigh.... I feel your pain. My fibro is not too bad right now but I have multiple injuries and can't exercise.

My rheumatologist told me that mild exercise was good but to "not be the star in the class". Meaning, if I'm going to take water fitness (her suggestion for fibro patients) then I need to not do it to full intensity. She said that she has patients that will feel great one day and go for a long run. Feel fantastic and then a few days later they feel like they've been hit by a bus. this is probably why you hurt so bad on your 4th day of your NYC trip.

Have you tried water exercise? I've been told by all my doctors and PT's that being in water is great for fibro. I can't back this up because I haven't tried it.

Yep, I did water therapy 2 days a week, 1 hour at a time for several months. It feels great to be in the water but ramps up the pain after I'm out.

I'm actually still flaring from that NYC trip. I feel so guilty sometimes with my children. They wanted me to go skating with them this weekend and I just couldn't even bring myself to get dressed.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    For me, exercise is the ONLY thing that helps. I pushed myself and slowly worked up to being able to do 2 hours/day of exercise again. I started from zero as I was bedridden due to another disease.

I have to be very careful about doing more though. I also try to alternate high-impact activities with things like swimming.
  • krissyl72
    krissyl72 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I feel all of your pain guys! I have rheumatoid arthritis and feel achy all of the time. It hurts to exercise at first but just get over the hump and learn that more movement is better in the long run. Feel free to add me for any motivation or support. I've been on MFP for 4 years now and I know it works, even for us achy body people
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have no motivation to exercise. I used to love it. I'd wake up and can't wait to put on my running shoes and move my body. Now, I hate it. It hurts to move. It hurts worse when I'm done moving. I know the pain is just a bunk signal, that I'm not hurting anything by moving. I usually feel a little better a day after a good sweat session but then I hurt again, and I don't want to. But then, like, I was on vacation in NYC for five days. We walked all over, up and down stairs, road the subway, etc. On the fourth day I hurt so bad I thought I was going to die. I had a fever, my hips were stiff and my stomach was swollen. Putting on clothes that even were a little tight caused excruciating pain. How can you choose mind over matter when it's your mind telling you that you're hurting?

@fattymcrunnerpants I found I had to address the pain first from Ankylosing Spondylitis. In just 30 days after I cut out most all sugars and all forms of grain my pain level dropped from a subjective 7-8 level to 2-3 and has remained low since Nov 2014. I now walk a quart mile daily if ice or snow is not on the steep hill that I walk down and back up but can walk for miles if needed. It is not about mind over pain in my case but mind over the kind of food I poke in my face. I still pig out when I get hungry but it will be 80% fats and more like 15% protein and 5% carbs. Best of success.
  • bonforyou
    bonforyou Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I suffer with chronic pain due to 5 herniated disks and sciatica. Currently I am at 275 lbs. With that being said, I hurt just blinking my eyes sometimes it seems. BUT I came across LIVEexercise on YouTube and I am slowly working on building my strength up and the constant pain seems to be letting up gradually. It is all done while sitting in a chair. Just a idea if anyone is interested.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how this goes. I have SLE (lupus) and some severe spinal injuries.

It's a nasty amplifying cycle. You hurt, so you don't exercise, which makes you more out of shape so exercising hurts more, so you exercise less...

I try to do what I can each day, and push myself a lot more than I did for years because the truth is that I'm going to hurt whether I'm exercising or not. But it was a losing battle until my doctor gave me prescription NSAIDS that got on top of the pain a little. I hope you have a doctor who works with you to do this.
  • sewicanquilt
    Options
    Today is a bad day and I need some encouragement. I have walked an agonizing 764 steps so far today and just want to cry. My pain killers aren't taking the edge off. When I hurt I want to use food to numb the pain.