Wouldn't Oil Popped Popcorn Be Healthier Than Air Popped Popcorn?

Options
When I google this question everything I read says air popped popcorn is healthier. It has 0mg of Sodium and cholesterol free. They claim the reason oil popped popcorn is unhealthier is because it has 97mg of Sodium per cup.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/157609-air-popped-popcorn-vs-oil-popped/

However, I use Mazola Vegetable Plus!, which has 0mg Sodium and cholesterol free. It also has "Vitamin E 15%" and Omega 3. I'm sure I could find an oil that has even more benefits.

In this case, wouldn't oil popped popcorn be healthier?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I think in most cases, the resources are equating "healthier" with "lower calorie", which air popped will be, due to their not being any fat. I don't think it has anything to do with the sodium.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Yes those terms are loosely being used to describe that air popped doesn't have any oil, therefore no fat. It's a marketing ploy to sell air popped corn.

You're correct that what's healthy for YOU may be using oils with healthy fats to supplement your diet. I'm always happy when I consume a healthy fat like in avacado.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I like air popped because I am chiefly counting calories. Three cups is a lot of volume for the calories. How much oil are you adding? Oil is twice the calories per gram as carb or protein so it adds up quickly. If you carefully measure your oil you should be fine. Some of those vitamins and omega may be vaporized in the heat.
  • liftsalltheweights
    liftsalltheweights Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    In all honestly it depends on what you like. I personally like my pop corn popped in coconut oil.

Regardless of how you do it popcorn is healthy.
  • chelsea7162
    chelsea7162 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Regardless of how you do it popcorn is healthy.

If you slather it in butter, salt, sugar, or caramel I'd say it's not really healthy. I'm not talking about a sprinkle of salt, It's moreso theatre style or kettle corn that's really unhealthy. And corn doesn't have the best nutrient breakdown so don't make it into a meal.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I think in most cases, the resources are equating "healthier" with "lower calorie", which air popped will be, due to their not being any fat. I don't think it has anything to do with the sodium.

Yes, this.

I don't really have a problem getting plenty of oil (I use olive mostly) and other healthy fats, so focus on the calories.

That said, I like some sodium (well, specifically some salt) with my popcorn, so will pop it in a little oil and even if I used an air popper (which I'm thinking of acquiring, as I would like to be able to have popcorn for fewer calories) will likely spritz it with some oil.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    The problem with popcorn is that people overeat it. You can ask for it unsalted at the theater. Just eat a kiddie portion.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Whether adding the oil is healthier or not would depend on your overall diet. I pop mine in oil because I don't like air popped.
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I was using microwave popcorn until about 2 years ago, but switched to air-popped because there's less junk in it. I'll melt 2 tbs of butter and put that and a couple dashes of salt on it, and then split it w/my s/o. I've measured out the kernels, butter, and salt, and then halve the calorie content and log it. Sometimes while I'm waiting for the butter to melt I'll have a handful or two of the plain popcorn; tastes really good! :)
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Try popping it in a plain brown paper lunch bag.
    1/4 cup of kernels
    fold over the top
    microwave (it takes about 2-1/2 minutes in my microwave) listen for it to stop popping and remove the bag.
    No oil needed.
    I like it topped with parmesan grated with a micro planer or some srirachi sprinkled on it.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    Whether adding the oil is healthier or not would depend on your overall diet. I pop mine in oil because I don't like air popped.

agreed i was kind bummed cause I couldnt eat it. and i LOVE popcorn ha.