Afraid of failure.

Options
I have been battling with me weight for most of my life. I was 135lbs in my "prime" after 4 kids and over a million bad decisions I'm sitting at 225lbs (after a recent loss of 5lbs) I want to be healthy, so I can keep up with my kids and live to meet the rest of my grand babies.

Replies

• NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Honest. Just take it one day at a time. Don't worry about the past or next month. Focus each day on making it the best you can. It's not easy. I don't know of anyone who thinks it's easy but it's worth it. You're worth it.
  • jprewitt1
    jprewitt1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    You will fail. Failure is a part of life. Being afraid of failure is the same as saying you're afraid to try. You will have bad days. You may have a bad week. If you really and truly want to "keep up with" your kids, you will do it. It won't be easy. It will be difficult at times to say "no thanks." Your health and happiness is all that should matter. That is the only reason to do this: for you. If you aren't doing it for you then you won't succeed. One small step every day may seem like nothing, but do it each day and soon you'll be walking miles and miles.
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    My favorite mfp quote that has guided me through 2 years here..
    "If you never give up, then you can never fail."

So very true!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I would suggest going slowly. If you are "afraid of failure" versus charged up and ready to go, I suspect you aren't in the right frame of mind for an aggressive diet. Me neither most days. I aim for .5lb/week. Some weeks I pretty much just maintain, some weeks I lose a half pound or more. But I'm moving forward with no misery. Best of luck to you.
  • Dandelie
    Dandelie Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    The only failure in life is having never tried. Every time we fail we get to learn something about ourselves or the situation. We grow. We learn. We survive. We thrive. I have been afraid of many things. It is so very easy to build up the fear in our minds until it is so out of control that we feel paralyzed by it. And yet, when you do what you fear, you find out that it wasn't that big of a deal anyway.

You have already lost 5 pounds. You have already set up a goal. You want to be around for your children and grand children. Use them as your beacon. Every time you feel scared, think of what you would tell them if they came to you being afraid. You tell them it is okay. So tell yourself, it is okay. Because it is! Take one step at a time.
  • NikkiTygg
    NikkiTygg Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support and motivation. I may have not given enough info. When I was 18 I was training to be a body builder. I know the devotion required for victory and that Rome wasn't built in a day.
  • robinupchurch
    robinupchurch Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The only failure would be to not do what you know you should. It will be up and down but that is not failure it is life. You deserve to feel good about yourself and your kids should see that. Make a commitment to yourself that you will log your food every day regardless whether you go over or not. Choose something you love to do and commit to do it x times a week. Those are two things that will get you started and are doable for anyone. The community here on mfp will support you. Remember we are all struggling to meet our goals and sometimes life gets in the way. We are cheering for you!!! Go get what you want!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    NikkiTygg wrote: »
    Thanks for the support and motivation. I may have not given enough info. When I was 18 I was training to be a body builder. I know the devotion required for victory and that Rome wasn't built in a day.

Lol. I suspect I should be asking YOU for advice!

• sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    ksd333tnywhq.jpg

you're here which means you are learning that you want to change. That's why failure is ok. JPrewitt made valid, honest points.
    I've been a member since 2012. At my highest weight 220lbs at 5'2". I got down to 150, then I made mistakes, failed got back to 171 now I'm back and currently 159. We learn and it's okay. MFP is an awesome tool. Good luck and feel free to friend me!
    pol.jpg 84.8K
  • jprewitt1
    jprewitt1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options

Then you have one of the hardest parts down and ready. Having kids is stressful. The mental, physical, and emotional toll it takes on a woman is tremendous. The fact that you have gained weight isn't the end of the world. Be proud of yourself for giving life to 4 children and relish in the fact that you can kick butt now and make sure that you are around for them as long as you can.
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Many times we chose to not do something rather than try, because we think we'll fail. What makes that funny (odd, not "haha") is that by NOT trying whatever it is, we guarantee failure versus whatever chance there is for success. I realize that is applying logic to an emotional issue, but it doesn't make it any less true. Since I started my own journey towards a healthier & more active life about 1.5 years ago, I've realized that. Now, I do what scares me. Fear is a super power. It makes us run faster, lift more, and push us beyond the limits we think we have. Use it to your advantage.
    You said "I want to be healthy, so I can keep up with my kids and live to meet the rest of my grand babies." Let that be the bigger motivator to get you started: The fear of not being around to meet the rest of your grand babies and watching them grow up. :) continually find new things to keep you motivated and working towards your goal: Things big enough to help you choose those million RIGHT decisions to reach your goal. Maybe it's that trip of a lifetime you always wanted to take, or fitting into those jeans you used to wear, or any combination of a billion things. That part is up to you. It all starts with "why." Once you focus on that, everything else starts to fall into place. :)
  • sewicanquilt
    sewicanquilt Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have been big all my life -- sometimes I'd lose a little, but it always seems to come back. When I feel like a failure I remember a quote from Thomas Edision about building the light bulb, "I didn't failure I just learned 10,000 ways not to build it." That quote for me really sums it up. I didn't get to be overweight in one day -- it was a journey of 50 years (18,250 days). Daily, I learn about making better or different choices. Some work, some don't. It's not a failure, it is simply a way for me that didn't work. I am 20 days into this new way and have lost 8 lbs. If I can find ways that work for me, you CAN do this too. You've learned some things that haven't worked that have led you to your current weight, AND, you've learned some things that have worked since you have already lost 5 lbs. It's a great start. Focus on finding what works for you. Good Luck!
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Then keep telling yourself you won't fail. Stop doubting yourself. Block out the temptation to fall back into an unhealthy lifestyle. Surround yourself with only positive influences - this includes friends/family who are on the same path as yourself (I suggest joining the gym and making friends there that will help motivate you; and the family/current friends will join the bandwagon when they see your success), keep only healthy food in your house, etc. Don't deprive yourself. Though. Remember consistency is key, but a treat here and there is necessary to stay on track as well. Just like rest days. You've got this!
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    when you believe you are worth changing then you will change your habits.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I have been battling with me weight for most of my life. I was 135lbs in my "prime" after 4 kids and over a million bad decisions I'm sitting at 225lbs (after a recent loss of 5lbs) I want to be healthy, so I can keep up with my kids and live to meet the rest of my grand babies.

5 lbs is a great start! Every pound you take off is a step to a healthier you. Every day you watch your calorie intake or be more active is a positive change. Just keep going and you are succeeding at improving your health.

I don't really think of failure with weight loss. That is too dramatic for me. I just get through each day. I log everything every day. I weigh myself once a week. Nothing gets too crazy. The worst that has happened in a year working on this is my weight staying the same for awhile but even then I am at my lowest weight in 5 years so I'm still better off than I was. If today I ate too much or gained a pound then I just make a change tomorrow. If my weight isn't shifting I try to log more accurately or increase my activity. Not every day will be perfect and awesome. We start over new every day with our choices anyway.
  • MelanieDawn_80
    MelanieDawn_80 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I lost 150 lbs, gained back half of that when life got stressful. I'm proud to say that I've recommitted to myself and am down just over 20 lbs. since mid December. This is like a marathon - this may sound crazy but I'm kind of thankful that I gained back some of the weight, it made me learn a lot about myself. The most important thing being that I shouldn't make any changes that I can't live with long-term (Like as in the rest of my life). Even at 147lbs I saw myself as fat when I looked in the mirror - looking back at those photos I don't think I looked healthy. I was 7 lbs from what I thought would be a healthy weight (BMI chart) and killing myself to get there. I was eating 1200 calories a day and working out 2+ hours a day hard core. This go around, I have talked with my doctor and have a revised more reasonable ideal weight goal. I no longer see just "fat" when I look at myself in the mirror. I am proud of how far I've come and am going to keep pushing through until I achieve my new goal and this time it will stick because I've only made changes I can live with!

Feel free to add me.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Steph38878 wrote: »
    Honest. Just take it one day at a time. Don't worry about the past or next month. Focus each day on making it the best you can. It's not easy. I don't know of anyone who thinks it's easy but it's worth it. You're worth it.

But also remember one "bad" day is not failure, only a bump.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    Steph38878 wrote: »

But also remember one "bad" day is not failure, only a bump.

Absolutely! Bad days have and will happen. I celebrated my birthday. Yes, I went over but not bad and enjoyed my birthday. It's a balance. =)
  • NikkiTygg
    NikkiTygg Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody. :D
  • Onamissionforfit
    Onamissionforfit Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. Don't over think it. If you stick with it eventually you will get there. It's a long hard journey but eventually it's worth it.