Why is Slow Weight Loss Good?

Options
Honestly, I have always been very lucky and have never really had to watch my weight. But these last couple of years, I really let myself go, so I am a bit new to this.

My question is why is slow weight loss considered good? Why should I not try to lose more than 2lbs a week?

Replies

• size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Tbh I've lost weight loads times in chunks of 20-70lbs in 27 years
    It's better to lose slow as you'll more likely to lose fat than muscle by this I mean v v v low calories = you'll body will eat it's muscle it's hard to stick at you get moody and tired
    Fast weightloss everyone loves to have and see it's human nature but I know after many years yoyoing you've got to change your life style or you'll yoyo and that's demoralising
    So use a good calorie calculator to work your calories out
    Healthyeater.com calorie calculator is good
    Have treats
    Find an exercise you enjoy
    Change your lifestyle

Good luck
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I think in general, weight loss that is slower tends to represent lifestyle changes and not crash dieting. Depending on how much you weigh, you could lose more than 2 pounds a week.
  • shannie018
    shannie018 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Right now, I'm just using the 1,200 calorie guideline and logging my food. I've been walking a bit to start to build my body back up. I've just seen it mentioned on here a lot about slow weight loss and wanted to learn about the importance and why it is better. I definitely don't want to lose muscle or damage my body anymore than I already have, so it's good to know that slower weight loss tends to be more from fat than muscle. Thanks again for the knowledge. :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    shannie018 wrote: »
    Honestly, I have always been very lucky and have never really had to watch my weight. But these last couple of years, I really let myself go, so I am a bit new to this.

My question is why is slow weight loss considered good? Why should I not try to lose more than 2lbs a week?

A few reasons:
    1. Less extreme loss rates, combined with proper nutrition and resistance exercise, are more apt to help you preserve existing muscle. When losing weight you'll lose a combination of both fat and lean mass. The goal should be to maximize fat loss and minimize lean loss.
    2. Lower loss rates are, in general, more sustainable as you are less likely to burn out and quit.
    3. Slower weight loss gives you time to learn and develop long term health and fitness habits (eating in moderation, being more active, etc.)
    4. Vanity--extreme deficits can cause hair loss, brittle nails, general exhaustion (and looking exhausted), etc.

FWIW, I don't think that 2 pounds per week is slow weight loss. I think that .25 pounds per week is slow weight loss. Half pound to a pound a week is fantastic fantabulous great as far as a loss rate goes IMO.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options

Quick weight loss is usually not maintainable and requires unhealthy eating habits in order to achieve.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

A few reasons:
    1. Less extreme loss rates, combined with proper nutrition and resistance exercise, are more apt to help you preserve existing muscle. When losing weight you'll lose a combination of both fat and lean mass. The goal should be to maximize fat loss and minimize lean loss.
    2. Lower loss rates are, in general, more sustainable as you are less likely to burn out and quit.
    3. Slower weight loss gives you time to learn and develop long term health and fitness habits (eating in moderation, being more active, etc.)
    4. Vanity--extreme deficits can cause hair loss, brittle nails, general exhaustion (and looking exhausted), etc.

FWIW, I don't think that 2 pounds per week is slow weight loss. I think that .25 pounds per week is slow weight loss. Half pound to a pound a week is fantastic fantabulous great as far as a loss rate goes IMO.

I would add loose/saggy skin under number 4. Of course, this depends on your individual genetic giftings as well as age, but a slower loss tends to allow time for your skin to catch up with your weight loss a little better than it would if you were to suddenly deflate.
  • jemhh
    edited March 2016
    Options

A few reasons:

I would add loose/saggy skin under number 4. Of course, this depends on your individual genetic giftings as well as age, but a slower loss tends to allow time for your skin to catch up with your weight loss a little better than it would if you were to suddenly deflate.

Agreed!

(@ManiacalLaugh I am doing a happy dance that you said that slower loss allows skin to catch up with weight loss rather than claiming it prevents loose skin.)
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I would like for this to be required reading before anyone can get an MFP account! ;)
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Agree with all above. I'm less likely to "fall off the wagon" and when I do, it's easy to scramble back on quickly. When I restricted too much in the past I would procrastinate restarting because I'd made it such a miserable process.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    For one thing, you have to consider what is necessary mathematically to even achieve two pounds per week...that's 1,000 calories per day less than you would require to maintain your weight. Even that for many people doesn't provide for adequate nutrition to be healthy as the calories would be so low...not to mention, your body in general needs a certain amount of calories (energy) just for basic functions...one thing you see a lot of with people crashing their diets to unhealthy levels of nutrients and energy is hair loss, brittle nails, loss of menstrual cycle, etc, etc, etc. Essentially, when you crash your diet your body is going to shut down "non-essential" functions to become more efficient...thus requiring less energy to compensate for the fact that you aren't feeding it.

When you crash your diet, you really jack with your hormones...this can actually be an impediment to burning fat. For example, raised cortisol levels impede the burning of fat...when you crash your diet, you stress your body out and elevate your cortisol levels...you're actually acting in a way that is counterproductive to your goals.

When you substantially underfeed your body, you burn lean mass...you can only oxidize so much fat in a given period of time...after that, you're burning up muscle and other lean mass.

All that said, the heavier you are, the greater deficits you can sustain at least for awhile...but we're talking obese/morbidly obese before I would ever look at going beyond 2 Lbs per week.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Slow is the only way for me. First, I get really hangry really easily. Second, the most I ever needed to lose was 30lbs. With my stats, a 1.5-2lb/week loss would mean eating 1200, and not eating exercise calories, which would make me very hangry and malnourished and giving up.

I probably would still be overweight trying over and over the "fast" way. Instead, I'm still 10lbs from goal (been at this 18 months, I take maintenance breaks, a lot), but 20lbs lighter than if I didn't find my happy plan.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    For this mom.... Skin
    Second I can't sustain the level of calories that cause rapid loss

• ragtimedoll
    ragtimedoll Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If you restrict your diet too much you are less likely to follow it for a long period of time. You will gain back the weight you lost. It will be much more difficult to maintain your weight loss.
  • shannie018
    shannie018 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    OK. Then I shouldn't hold myself to the show "Fit to Fat to Fit" and think that it would be realistic of me to lose 60 lbs in 4 months. I can cut myself some slack and change my settings to 1 pound a week.
  • jemhh
    Options
    Lol, no, do not try to emulate that show. That was done for TV entertainment purposes. Your weight loss efforts are for your personal health goals. :)
  • AbigailC17
    AbigailC17 Posts: 78 Member
    Options

A few reasons:

^^This^^
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,150 Member
    Options
    OK. Then I shouldn't hold myself to the show "Fit to Fat to Fit" and think that it would be realistic of me to lose 60 lbs in 4 months. I can cut myself some slack and change my settings to 1 pound a week.

Yes, this! (And I'd encourage you to cut the loss rate even further as you get closer to your goal weight, but that's a consideration for the future.)

Those (bleep) shows do soooo much damage, giving people the idea that extremely rapid weight loss is normal and desirable. It isn't. It isn't healthy. It isn't sustainable.

I'd encourage you not to set an end date in advance at all. Just set a reasonable loss rate (as you're saying you'll do), be consistent and persistent, and use the time to gradually learn healthy ways of eating that are workable and satisfying for you so you can remain at a healthy weight permanently.

You can do this.
  • missyfitz1
    missyfitz1 Posts: 93 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I also blame The Biggest Loser for people's unrealistic ideas of what is a good weekly weight loss. A friend of mine lost some weight through a franchise clinic in Canada called Dr. Bernstein that encourages extreme, fast weight loss. She was in her 20s, in great health when she started. She finally quit because she was losing hair in chunks and experiencing a number of other health issues as a result of the diet.

It can be frustrating to wait for the results of a long-term weight loss plan. For me it helps so much to just think of it as a life change I'm committing to, and not obsess about the scale. You will gradually feel healthier and have more energy, and before you know it your gradual change will have turned into significant weight loss!
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options

A few reasons:

^^That. If I did a crash diet I'd not only miss my old tasty foods, but I'd miss discovering new tasty foods as well. I've found foods that are more filling, I've played with my macros (and still am), and I added more vegetables that I never would have considered eating before. And I still get to have ice cream.

If I did a quick fix diet, I never would have done any of that. Also, my family would have killed me by now, for the hanger is strong in me.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Your less likely to burn out and fail, going from 3000 to 1500 calories might be too much to handle.

Less likely to see it as a short diet, lose the 20lb and then go right back to eating the way you were before.

Less muscle lost, greater % of fat lost.

Do you think you can start a new lifestyle of healthy eating in 30 days or 12 weeks?