Calories burned during a gig

Options
This goes to all the musicians out there in MFP land.

I was thinking about this the other day. How many calories are burned when performing for a night? I play in a coverband. We do a load in and set up for about an hour and a half before hand (this consists of moving and lifting heavy speakers), then we play for three 45 minute sets (high energy party rock), and then we spend an hour loading out.

I imagine that the calorie burn is quite high. I am usually sweating by the first set. Any musicians ever track their calories during a gig before?

(the downside with my band, is that any calories burned are probably offset by the alcohol consumed during said gig)

Replies

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    No idea, probably amazing. I don't drink, but eating a lot after, doubt if even that would burn all the calories expended for 3 or 4 hours standing up playing after lifting all the equipment and setting up. Go you!
  • TeamScorpioRI
    TeamScorpioRI Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yeah.. Our band gets a little crazy at gigs. We have a ton of gear we move. Full PA system (subs, tops, monitors.. all QSC and PreSonus), plus band gear. Then we have the lighting rig which consists of a 10' Truss System, LED Screen, 2 4Bar systems, 2 Duel Intimidators, and various other lights. Its ALOT of gear. We haul it all in a huge trailer. When people ask me what being in a band is like, I tell them its like going to the gym, doing an hour and a half of weights followed by three 45 minute HIIT Routines followed by another hour and a half of lifting... all while drinking whiskey to hydrate. lol
  • hopeandtheabsurd
    hopeandtheabsurd Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I was going to say that it probably covers the alcohol consumed, but you beat me to it. B)
  • TeamScorpioRI
    Options
    I was going to say that it probably covers the alcohol consumed, but you beat me to it. B)

No Joke. We have impressed many a bartender with the bands ability to drink and still put on a show. If I just cut that out I bet the calorie burn would be amazing. I'd wear a HRM, but the one I have is a bit too bulky to wear for 6 hours. There is this new HRM undershirt that is out no, but its like $300.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Under cardio MFP has a couple of categories of playing. I play clarinet so if my gig is an hour or more I give myself the credit/calories. I don't include setting up since I don't usually have to lug a lot of stuff. When I play fiddle, if it's for 2 hours or more I will eat back 2/3 of the fiddle calories. I sweat a lot more playing the clarinet :)
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I know there was a study done a while ago about drummer calorie burns. I don't remember who exactly was the subject of study, but he was fairly famous- I'm thinking Neil Pert? Anyways, they monitored his heart rate and breathing and they calculated that he burned around 1000 calories after performing a 90 minute show. This was for a high energy genre, so I believe it definitely does vary on how hard/fast you are playing.
  • TeamScorpioRI
    Options
    I know there was a study done a while ago about drummer calorie burns. I don't remember who exactly was the subject of study, but he was fairly famous- I'm thinking Neil Pert? Anyways, they monitored his heart rate and breathing and they calculated that he burned around 1000 calories after performing a 90 minute show. This was for a high energy genre, so I believe it definitely does vary on how hard/fast you are playing.

Hmmm.. I might have to look that up. Maybe I'll have to actually wear the damn HRM for a gig. Just to see what I come up with. We put on a decent show. Not the most energetic I have ever seen (I'll have to give that to Dave Grohl from the Foo Fighters... He was a maniac on stage), but definitely not a "stand in one spot and play" type band. I'm guessing its over 1000 calories with the load in/out.
  • TeamScorpioRI
    Options
    And I just did a google search and came across this thread: http://forum.cakewalk.com/Hey-Rockers-How-many-calories-do-you-burn-playing-stand-up-guitar-m1990944.aspx

Of course the top comment is a link to a MFP Calculator. I plugged in just my set times and came up with 650 calories burned. That is a hell of a workout to me.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Let's see......my old 2 x 10 Eden cab weighed about 75lbs, and my 2 x 12 probably closer to 90.Thank goodness for neo speakers.....but I don't play out anymore, it requires staying up past my bedtime!
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    And I just did a google search and came across this thread: http://forum.cakewalk.com/Hey-Rockers-How-many-calories-do-you-burn-playing-stand-up-guitar-m1990944.aspx

Of course the top comment is a link to a MFP Calculator. I plugged in just my set times and came up with 650 calories burned. That is a hell of a workout to me.

Definitely get a good burn from gigs. I made a playlist one day that consisted of heavy, fast paced songs. The playlist was about an hour and usually had no stops within them. I wore my HRM and drummed along the playlist as if I was performing. After working up a crazy good sweat, the HRM says I burned about 500 calories. While it may be off by a bit, I can definitely say that I burned at least half of the estimate, as my heart rate was around 145-170, never dropping below 145.
  • TeamScorpioRI
    Options
    Let's see......my old 2 x 10 Eden cab weighed about 75lbs, and my 2 x 12 probably closer to 90.Thank goodness for neo speakers.....but I don't play out anymore, it requires staying up past my bedtime!

No kidding!! I have one of the TC Electronics B250 115's. Thank god that thing is light. I used to lug around an Acoustic Combo that was close to 100lbs. I don't miss that.

Though my PA is still heavy. a couple 1x18 powered subs, some QSC K12's, and a PreSonus 16.4.2 in a flite case (that must weight over 100lbs). That stuff makes us break a sweat!