Opinions? free or machine: 3x10 reps vs 10, 15, & 20 reps

Options
Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on doing 3x10 reps vs 10, 15, & 20 reps using machines or free weights.

I (56 yo female) want to build strength and tone all over. I know that to tone, you want to do more reps with less weight and to build bulkier muscle, you want to use more weight and fewer reps.

What about increasing reps progressively at the same weight?

Replies

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    If your primary goal is strength then you should be doing at most 10 reps (from your choices). 15-20 reps is getting into endurance and you will not build strength quickly. Most good strength programs spend a lot of time in the 3-5 rep range.

To tone, lose the fat, this is done by a calorie deficit. Lifting more reps will not "tone" your body any more than doing lower reps.

If you want to build "bulky" muscles, then lift in in the 8-12 rep range and eat a lot of food (i.e. put on weight). If you are losing weight you will not get bulky (1 year of lifting heavy weights and losing weight has definitely not made me bulky and I'm a guy)

There are two ways to progress really. Either increase the weight or increase the reps. I personally increase the weights since that is what my program calls for, but if I can only do 3 reps after increasing the weights then I hope to hit 4 reps the next time, and then 5 after that (which is increasing reps). Some programs call for starting at 5 reps, then working on increasing to 8 reps and then increasing the weight once you can do 8.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    If you really want to build strength/power, you need to lift heavy. Free weights will help with balance/stability for everyday life.

I am 55 and found compound lifts increased my strength/power considerably. I have run SL5x5 with accessories from Strong Curves. These are two good programs to start with if you want to "tone" and develop strength.

ETA: Heavier weights can help you retain muscle if on a deficit. Heavier weights can help with definition. Bikini models lift heavy.
  • bodyfuelnutritionllc
    bodyfuelnutritionllc Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I used to think you needed to lift heavy to get bigger. At almost 40 years old now I don't believe that anymore. My exercises usually consist between 10 - 20 reps. I think now more than ever it is my diet that makes me gain or lose. Mix it up and see what you think. :D
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    You will get a million opinions.. Mine is that lifting heavy and doing a max of 4-6 reps for 3 sets is best. When you can lift 6 reps you add weight.
  • SIMAKRA
    SIMAKRA Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hi,

56 six also and totally unfit.
    I started a programme with a trainer, and he has put me on 4x10 and 3x10 for different exercises with a kettlebell.
    Deadlifts and Squats are with a higher weights, did not think I could lift them, but I did. (sweating like a horse).
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I know that to tone, you want to do more reps with less weight and to build bulkier muscle, you want to use more weight and fewer reps.

no. that is not correct. there is no way to build a "bulkier" muscle or a "more toned" muscle. higher reps / lower weight will not make your more bulky than low reps / high weight.

muscle tone is a misnomer. there are only 2 things that affect the appearance of a muscle: the size of the muscle and the amount of fat covering it. people who say that they want to be toned are really saying they want slightly bigger muscles with less fat over them.

you can't "accidentally" get bulky from lifting heavy weights. it takes years of dedication and specific dieting. furthermore, women have far less testosterone (and thus, less capacity for muscle growth) than men. you will not get bulky.

the difference between 10 reps, 15, 20 reps will be negligible. find a beginners lifting program and follow the principles of progressive overload (each session, more reps or more weight) since this is what forces the muscle to get bigger and stronger. if you ever feel like you are getting "too big" I can almost guarantee you it is because you are putting on more fat than you realize, but if you really are training so hard for years that you decide your muscles are big enough, you can just... stop lifting, and they wont get any bulkier.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I (56 yo female) want to build strength and tone all over. I know that to tone, you want to do more reps with less weight and to build bulkier muscle, you want to use more weight and fewer reps.

Read this article, it explains everything you need to know about "toning" - what it isn't, what it really is and how to do it: http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/muscle-tone/
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on doing 3x10 reps vs 10, 15, & 20 reps using machines or free weights.

What about increasing reps progressively at the same weight?

For strength you want to go heavier and low rep (5 or under) . But if you are just starting out you need to go light until you get your form down perfect because you shouldn't lift heavy until you know the lifts and your body and mind are adjusted. A rep range of 15 or more is more for endurance and is good for you but isn't really a strength range. Keep your reps around 8- 10 while you are learning.
    If you don't have any physical limitations , try and stay away from the machines as much as possible and go with the free weights or cable machines. You get more bang for your buck.
    Thats my old lady lifter advice. i'm 49.
  • SIMAKRA
    SIMAKRA Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Read this article, it explains everything you need to know about "toning" - what it isn't, what it really is and how to do it: http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/muscle-tone/

thank you for that, also the diet plan page is good.