Period VANISHED!

Options
I am in the first 60 days of using MFP. The first month was business as usual (my period came & was totally regular). This month almost NOTHING! I thought it started 2 days ago (a little bit of brown discharge) but nothing since that day. My net calories were recently reduced from 1510 to 1430. I've been on the 1430 allotment for a week or so. I take a multivitamin, eat a pretty well balanced diet (I'll open my diary so y'all can see), & I workout 7 days a week. I run on Wednesday & Saturday, lift Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, & Friday, & jump rope on Sunday. I'm also on birth control so I ruled out pregnancy pretty quickly.

Am I doing too many workouts a week? Is my diet funky? Should I make an appointment with the doc? Should I increase my calories back to 1510? Help!

Ultimately, I freaking the *kitten* out!

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I would start with a pregnancy test. Birth control can fail...
  • MABMomma
    MABMomma Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    In order to stay the weight that you are right now, how many cals would you need to eat a day? I just want to know what 1430 is comparatively because I can't tell you whether or not 1430 is too much of a drop for you without knowing what you weigh.

But I have heard of a lot of women having funky period issues once they started exercising. Sometimes it was from exercising too much, eating too little calories, a new spike in hormones, etc.

I wouldn't be too worried about it unless it continues to happen. My period was completely the same for the first like, 14 years, and then suddenly last year it decided to only last for 3-4 days rather than 5-6. Nothing was wrong with me, my body was just changing.

I think my TDEE is 1680.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Sometimes dietary and activity changes can throw us off. I know I had a few irregular periods when I first started seeing the pounds come off.

If you're concerned, call your doctor, by all means, but I wouldn't get too worried based on one month.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Ketosis effects periods other than that if it happens again worth a doctors visit
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I skipped a few months 2 years ago when I got close to my goal weight. Asked both my GP and two GYNs about it and got told that it's normal for some women to only get 10 periods a year (yeah... totally new to me too). My GP told me that it happens if your deficit is too large and you exercise a lot too.

Then I increased my calories and it came back pretty regularly. But I'm not on BC. So I'd ask your doctor, because it seems odd to me... I'd still take a pregnancy test just in case, because, well, BC doesn't always work.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Spotting around the time of your period could easily be implantation bleeding. Id be getting a test to rule that out first.
  • MABMomma
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    Spotting around the time of your period could easily be implantation bleeding. Id be getting a test to rule that out first.

I have a 4 year old & just recently miscarried. It's impossible that I'd be pregnant.
  • drhelibhatt
    drhelibhatt Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Definitely get a pregnancy test.. but pills can decrease your periods exactly like yours did (I am a Pediatrician, this is a very common thing in adolescents who start BC pills, nothing to worry about thought if pregnancy test is neg!!) Would still recommend running it by your PCP/obgyn..
  • poldi1509
    poldi1509 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I fell pregnant a few weeks after a miscarriage, so not impossible.
  • revolucia78
    revolucia78 Posts: 196 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Very sorry for your loss.

Birth control can definitely affect your periods so it may be that. When I used to be on depo, I stopped getting periods after a few months of being on it. I would definitely recommend talking to your doctor about it because none of us can really tell you what's going on.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    MABMomma wrote: »

I have a 4 year old & just recently miscarried. It's impossible that I'd be pregnant.

Im sorry for your loss.
    If you just MC'd and are on BC then its very possible your cycle has gone whackadoo.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    My BPC pills make me have very light, almost non existent periods. I don't think that's unusual. How long have you been on that particular pill?
  • MABMomma
    Options
    My BPC pills make me have very light, almost non existent periods. I don't think that's unusual. How long have you been on that particular pill?

About 6 weeks
  • MABMomma
    Options
    Very sorry for your loss.

Birth control can definitely affect your periods so it may be that. When I used to be on depo, I stopped getting periods after a few months of being on it. I would definitely recommend talking to your doctor about it because none of us can really tell you what's going on.

Im sorry for your loss.
    If you just MC'd and are on BC then its very possible your cycle has gone whackadoo.

Thanks ladies.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

About 6 weeks

Oh. Well that's probably it then. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
  • RetroPolkaDot
    RetroPolkaDot Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    did this occur between periods? you might have just had breakthrough bleeding. If that is the case you can let your doctor know and try a different pill if it continues.
    Chances are you are either adjusting to the pill as you've only been taking it 6 weeks or you are adjusting to change of diet. If it worries you or you experience it again go to the doctor.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I would start with a pregnancy test. Birth control can fail...

I was going to say this, too. Also, sometimes severe calorie restriction can mess with the hormones and cause a lack of periods.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options

About 6 weeks

Not even long enough for two full cycles?? I say stop even thinking about it and roll forward. My doc always told me to give any new pill 3 months to fully regulate my hormones, and 6 weeks (assuming your pregnancy loss was before the birth control was started) is plenty of time for a new egg to be released and potentially be fertilized. It may feel impossible, but I assure you it's not.

I don't think it's the exercise OR your calories. Those look just fine. My vote is on new birth control irregularities, second vote to take a pregnancy test just in case. I often do during the first 2-3 months of a new pill because it changes the way my body feels- like my breasts felt heavy and sore but I never usually would have breast tenderness with any other PMS symptoms.