Gastric sleeve and now gaining :( help!!

Options
I had the gastric sleeve in December of 2014. I had my fourth child in July of 2014. When I went in for my c-section I weighed 380 lbs. I was horrified. I had retained alot of fluid but knew I could get with big without being pregnant. My highest weight without being pregnant was 355. I was miserable. I got the sleeve and felt amazing!! For the first 6 months. My lowest weight was 244lbs. Then I let my old habits creep back in. Drinking pop, overeating, snacking. I'm now 276 lbs and I'm a year and 3 months out. I know if I don't change something I will get back up to my biggest. I find it hard not to munch. I've seen keto but that seems difficult and there's alot of mixed reviews. Just wanting some advice and if anyone has been in a situation like this before. Thanks!!!

Replies

• size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Just find your calories in s good calculator don't eat exercise calories you know what's making you regain its like anything too many calories = weight gain
    Be strict find a new hobbies new friends new exercise and get counselling rinse why food comforts you ( hugs )
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    you have to log your calories "accurately" and make sure you are in a slight calorie deficit and over the next year you can lose significant weight. outside of that, there is no solution. Its just the facts. you are here so that is step one, well done. Now get into the program and start logging. walking is great if you can but not required, however i believe it will benefit you from a general health standpoint as well as a motivator with respect to what kind of shape you are in. Don't despair...you can do this. but its time and effort all of which only you can provide. Best of luck! Just do it! why not????
  • AbigailC17
    AbigailC17 Posts: 78 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I was not in the same situation as yours but when I am giving up some junk food. I didn't went cold turkey. First thing I gave up was sugary drink like soda, fruit juice, and other drinking calories. Next, I gave up chips. The thing is to tackle one thing at the time. If you immediately cut all unhealthy food at once, the temptation to eat and the stress will weigh you down. One at the time helps. You have to aim for a lifestyle change not think about this is a "diet".
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Weight gain/loss is determined by one thing: calories in vs calories out. Simply go on google, type in "TDEE Calculator", and enter you age, height, sex, weight, and activity level.

Using that number, eat -500 calories of that daily to lose 1lb per week. No ifs or buts. That means you might have to buy a digital weight scale and have a myfitnesspal account, and start measuring every single thing you put in your mouth.

Remember, overweight people tend to underestimate how much they are eating (and inversely, underweight people overestimate how much they eat).

Additional tips:
    Drink lots of water so you are not always hungry
    Drink a glass of water before a meal, it will help fill you up before you eat
    Replace sodas with diet sodas - 0 calories so that helps keep it low
    Eat lots of single ingredient foods - fish, chicken, fruits, etc. Obviously dressed to how you like it, but beware - sauces with olive oil or ranch is high in calories.

Beware: Fruit juices (filled with sugar and calories), too many nuts, spreadables (i.e. peanut butter), shakes (400 calories?? That's 2/3s of my meal!), starbucks fraps, and frozen microwavable meals.

And remember, it is a marathon, not a sprint. The longer it takes for you to get to your goal, the more permanent it is.
  • songbird13291
    songbird13291 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Weight gain/loss is determined by one thing: calories in vs calories out. Simply go on google, type in "TDEE Calculator", and enter you age, height, sex, weight, and activity level.

Using that number, eat -500 calories of that daily to lose 1lb per week. No ifs or buts. That means you might have to buy a digital weight scale and have a myfitnesspal account, and start measuring every single thing you put in your mouth.

Remember, overweight people tend to underestimate how much they are eating (and inversely, underweight people overestimate how much they eat).

Additional tips:
    Eat lots of single ingredient foods - fish, chicken, fruits, etc. Obviously dressed to how you like it, but beware - sauces with olive oil or ranch is high in calories.

Beware: Fruit juices (filled with sugar and calories), too many nuts, spreadables (i.e. peanut butter), shakes (400 calories?? That's 2/3s of my meal!), starbucks fraps, and frozen microwavable meals.

And remember, it is a marathon, not a sprint. The longer it takes for you to get to your goal, the more permanent it is.

No!!!!! The OP had bariatric surgery. Some of the advice you just laid out is 100% wrong for a person who has had bariatric surgery.

OP, you must have consulted a nutritionist prior to your surgery. Perhaps you should speak with that person regarding what you should and should not be eating.

• size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Sorry to say but unless you get counselling it will be a never ending cycle of yoyoing
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Now that I eat more protein in relationship to carbs, I no longer have the munchies in between meals.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine went through this. She had the surgery, lost nearly 200lbs, had skin removal surgery and looked great for a short while. Unfortunately, she never changed her eating habits, wouldn't eat veggies or fruit, would order dinner and two appetizers when we went out to eat and the weight came back.

So, what do you do? You have to refocus yourself. You have children to take care of and that requires energy. You have children to raise and that requires you be here with them. Either you want change or you don't. (Counseling may not be a bad idea).

Start off just making small changes, swap something bad for something good once a day. Drink one less pop and one more glass of water. Take a walk (my first walk was a total of seven minutes long, 3.5 each way, it was all I could do). Take your kids with you for a walk and make it an adventure (find leaves or something).

Don't think of a 'fad' kind of diet, its too restricting. Why don't you try WW? This way if you crave a piece of pizza, you can work it into your daily allowance. I think that's a good starting point because you learn very quickly that if you want to feel full throughout the day, you have to eat your healthier foods. In lieu of that, just make healthier choices, stick to portion sizes and start logging your food.

This takes discipline. It takes dedication and it takes perseverance. You CAN do it but you have to put in the effort. It takes three weeks to break a habit and its about the same for a lot of your food cravings to stop. Once you get through that part, you will notice how much better you are starting to feel and it gets easier to stick with a healthy eating plan. Good luck to you, you can do this!!
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Additional tips:

No!!!!! The OP had bariatric surgery. Some of the advice you just laid out is 100% wrong for a person who has had bariatric surgery.

OP, you must have consulted a nutritionist prior to your surgery. Perhaps you should speak with that person regarding what you should and should not be eating.

How is that wrong? (Legitimately curious) Every person who I've spoken with who has had some form of stomach alteration surgery has still had to count calories and watch portion sizes. Is it a matter of forbidden foods or something?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    This happens often

Think back to your consultations around your surgery, to the advice you were given and the protocols you were to follow

You were warned this wasn't a quick fix but required your effort and commitment

You need to commit

You know how to lose weight ...it is not by jumping on the next bandwagon but by monitoring your intake and burn

Speak to your doctor and commit
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Cant undestand doctors do these surgeries and dont follow up a dietitian should be in the Picture for a long time and the doctor should do long term follow ups and of corse your primary care doctor should see when there is a problem and help before it gets out of control.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Eat more veggies.

Find a new hobby and turn to that instead of snacks.

Plan your meals so that you are never wondering what to eat next.

When you find yourself reaching for a snack, have a glass of water and wait five minutes. Do you still want the snack?

Schedule in your exercise. Find something you enjoy. I actually find it empowering to tell someone I can't do X because I have to go to dance class for my own mental health.

I find that whenever I get back on track, I need to read about being healthy, almost obsessively, at least as much as I was snacking before. Thanks to these boards, there is never a shortage of reading material, even if some of it is a little wacky.
  • samanthakbowman
    samanthakbowman Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    AbigailC17 wrote: »
    I was not in the same situation as yours but when I am giving up some junk food. I didn't went cold turkey. First thing I gave up was sugary drink like soda, fruit juice, and other drinking calories. Next, I gave up chips. The thing is to tackle one thing at the time. If you immediately cut all unhealthy food at once, the temptation to eat and the stress will weigh you down. One at the time helps. You have to aim for a lifestyle change not think about this is a "diet".

Good advice. Change one thing at a time. Always look for how you can be healthier and more active.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Op- forget all the tips and tricks your reading about . it comes down to one thing and one thing only for weight loss - cico.
    If you eat at a calorie deficit - you will lose weight .
    Calorie deficit- weight loss
    Calorie surplus - weight gain

There's no reason to jump on the band wagon and try fad diets for weight loss . all you need to do is eat less then you burn. Its that simple for weight loss.

As you have found out, there's no quick fixes or easy ways out. There's no surgery that will forever fix your relationship with foods. There's no special diet that will magically help shred the pounds away. If you want to lose weight and have lasting results, you must be willing to put in the hard work needed. Get yourself a food scale and start by learning how to weigh all your solids and measure your liquids. Log them all here on mfp.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options

Additional tips:

How is that wrong? (Legitimately curious) Every person who I've spoken with who has had some form of stomach alteration surgery has still had to count calories and watch portion sizes. Is it a matter of forbidden foods or something?

Possibly. I know I had a friend who got the band and found that she couldn't eat all of the same foods as she used to. But I don't know what about his advice was bad, but then again I've never had this surgery. I wonder if it was the soda portion? But OP's already drinking soda, so I don't see how that could be it.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    You may have had a surgery to help, but in the end you still simply and only need to eat less. Drink less. Consume less.

This terrifies me, because my mother is spending all her savings in a few weeks to fly to Mexico for this surgery, somehow thinking it's going to be magical and the rules will change and she will be able to continue her current life. I know that's not true, and you now have seen it for yourself. You still have to make lifestyle changes that are sustainable. God willing my mother survives her procedure, I fear in a few years we'll see her in the same position.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Op- forget all the tips and tricks your reading about . it comes down to one thing and one thing only for weight loss - cico.
    If you eat at a calorie deficit - you will lose weight .
    Calorie deficit- weight loss
    Calorie surplus - weight gain

There's no reason to jump on the band wagon and try fad diets for weight loss . all you need to do is eat less then you burn. Its that simple for weight loss.

As you have found out, there's no quick fixes or easy ways out. There's no surgery that will forever fix your relationship with foods. There's no special diet that will magically help shred the pounds away. If you want to lose weight and have lasting results, you must be willing to put in the hard work needed. Get yourself a food scale and start by learning how to weigh all your solids and measure your liquids. Log them all here on mfp.

You are confusing fads with steps that can help you control CICO. It is one thing for someone with a lifetime of bad habits to know what needs to happen, it is another thing to make it happen.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Now that I eat more protein in relationship to carbs, I no longer have the munchies in between meals.

Same here
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    AbigailC17 wrote: »

Good advice. Change one thing at a time. Always look for how you can be healthier and more active.

+1

Small changes go a long way as long as you keep to them and do not introduce treats for being a good girl.

I gave up pop and I am now a tea and water total. This saves a lot of calories!

I started exercising. To begin with, just walking, then I downloaded the C25K app and got into running and now I am running full marathons. Oe of the most helpful gadgets for me was the Fitbit One (step tracker) and later on a multisportswatch, as they both motivated me to move more and to "earn" calories. (Do not eat them all back though, just a part of it)

Instead of taking away from my dinner plate - I added! I loaded my plate with veggies and made myself eat them first. You can eat tons of veggies and stay at low calories.

My cookie treats were exchanged with an apple, some berries or other low calorie fruit.

I started logging everything here on MFP and I bought myself a weight scale to be honest with myself and my portions.

Anyhow, at the end of the day it boils down to iron will. If you really want (!) to get better, you can.

Best of luck
    Stef.

P.S. And yes...what others said, you should talk to your doctor and nutritionist!

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

Additional tips:

No diet sodas or any sodas for people who have had the sleeve surgery.