Need help getting out of a plateau!

Options
Hey everybody! I hope you're well. I was just looking for some help and support getting out of my plateau. I started at 107.4kg and as of today I weigh 93kg. I use each 5kg I lose as a sort of checkpoint to the next weight but over the past few months I've been hovering between 92 and 93kg.

I have re-introduced carbs into my diet and I guess maybe I'm enjoying more treats than I should be but I'm finding it very difficult to be as disciplined as I was in the beginning. It's not helping that one of my close friends was also overweight and has lost over 30kg.

Not only that, she has a ridiculous amount of confidence in herself and is CRAZY disciplined when it comes to food. I'm quite stressed these days (one of my friends recently passed and I have exams coming up) and it feels like I'm falling back into my comfort eating ways which worries me. I REALLY want to get to 90kg and below.

I have a dance coming up in August and I really want a great figure to show off in my dress. I've been overweight my whole life and I just want to keep this journey going so I can feel better about myself.

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    First, stop comparing yourself with your friend. She's her and you are you. Your nutritional needs are different, your activity levels are different and your stats are different. So forget what she's doing and focus on yourself. Otherwise you're going to end up disappointed and give up.

Second, are you logging your intake everyday? What is your calorie goal? How much are you eating? Are you weighing your food? Are you exercising? Are you eating any of your exercise calories back?

Basically, we need more info.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Watch out for those snacks. You can eat them, but log every single one of them. Then, if you aren't losing, you'll see all the red days and know why you "plateaued".
  • tnkshozi
    tnkshozi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the responses! So yes, I am logging everything I eat but unfortunately I don't have a scale to weigh my food. I've set my kilojoule goal at 7000 right now (it was at 4500 for a few weeks but someone on my friend list suggested it was too low to maintain so I made it more). I try to exercise at least 3 times a week and it mostly consists of cardio (jogging, rowing, cycling) and some strength training. Usually my sessions are between 30 and 40 minutes long.

I try to be as consistent as I can because I'm a final-year medical student and I work very long and unpredictable hours. I mostly don't eat my exercise calories back and I try as far as possible not to skip any meals, especially breakfast.
  • Onamissionforfit
    Onamissionforfit Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've been there. It happens the best thing you can do is stick to it eventually you will loose again and when you do it will melt off. It can be discouraging and you want to give up. I've done that so many times. A year and three months ago I started again I pushed through this time and lost half my fat so I'm half way there. Believe it or not I've lost a lot by dancing. Don't be afraid to just shake it and have fun. Then one day you will ask yourself where did it all go.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    So you're basically eating 1600 calories. Are you still losing weight at all? Or are you just expecting it to be faster?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    tnkshozi wrote: »
    Hey everybody! I hope you're well. I was just looking for some help and support getting out of my plateau. I started at 107.4kg and as of today I weigh 93kg. I use each 5kg I lose as a sort of checkpoint to the next weight but over the past few months I've been hovering between 92 and 93kg.

I have re-introduced carbs into my diet and I guess maybe I'm enjoying more treats than I should be but I'm finding it very difficult to be as disciplined as I was in the beginning. It's not helping that one of my close friends was also overweight and has lost over 30kg.

Not only that, she has a ridiculous amount of confidence in herself and is CRAZY disciplined when it comes to food. I'm quite stressed these days (one of my friends recently passed and I have exams coming up) and it feels like I'm falling back into my comfort eating ways which worries me. I REALLY want to get to 90kg and below.

I have a dance coming up in August and I really want a great figure to show off in my dress. I've been overweight my whole life and I just want to keep this journey going so I can feel better about myself.

The statement in bold is a problem. Also, when you stop looking at others, And when you do as you stated your comparing your self to anything that they are doing and you are not paying attention to the most important person, which is you...

GET THE FOOD SCALE. SERIOUSLY, buy the food scale. It will change every aspect of your eating and will put you on a track that will result in successful weight loss if you weigh and log it and of course adhere to the MFP deficit.

Stop .. just stop looking at other people. They cannot work your plan for you and this only distracts you.