Do you still track daily?

Options
As I get closer to maintenance I am wondering how many of you continue to track your meals and exercise daily and for how long. I lost approximately 70-80 pounds almost 10 years ago. I have gained back and lost 20-25 a number of times over the last 5 years. I want to keep my weight more stable - I wonder if the only way to really do that is to track forever?

Replies

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    In maintenance, but only for the last two months or so. I still track both my food and my exercise, but I don't find it inconvenient at all...I actually enjoy seeing the numbers and knowing what's going on with my body and why. Not sure if I'd do it forever, but I can't see a reason to stop as it only helps.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    12 months still log everything
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,146 Member
    Options
    In maintenance for almost 6 years and still logging most of the time. Although I don't log consistently when I am on vacation, eat out or at friend's house.

Eighteen months ago I got fed up with all the logging and the time that I was spending in this website and I canceled my account for 6 months; I kept my weigh steady and within my +2 lbs allowance. I still weighted all my food and kept an eye on portion control but I didn't write anything down. The only reason that I came back to MFP was because I wanted to track my macros better since I was hoping to do a recomp. I am now more relaxed with my logging (see first sentence), and I reduced my involvement in the forums. My weight is still the same.

I had less than 10 lbs to lose when I joined MFP for the first time. I am not a foodie or a big eater because I am a small and older person, I eat healthy, I don't binge or have trigger foods, and I like to exercise so I don't know if all of that has something to do with being able to keep the weight down and under control even without logging all the time.

You need to do what is best for you. If you are tired of weighting and logging your food, skip that during the weekend but keep an eye on your portions, or log breakfast and lunch and don’t log your dinner. See how that works for you. Good luck.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Yep, I've logged for almost 4 years
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Not everyone needs to track daily, but I think I do better when I track most of the time. I'm OK not tracking now and then for holidays or certain occasions, but I prefer tracking as a way to keep an eye on what I'm eating. You need to figure out what works best for you- sometimes it takes some trial and error.

I've been tracking pretty much daily for over 7 years (on WW for the first 6ish years, then MFP for the last year). I'm not aiming for maintenance but I've been maintaining my current weight for the past 3.5 years. I don't mind tracking at this point and probably prefer it.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    I have been maintaining 6+ years.

I started maintenance by logging just as I had while losing.

After about 6 months I weened myself off logging by still weighing, but not entering food.

Once I had my portion sizes well eyeballed I stopped weighing my food.

Now I mostly just eat, and weigh my body every few weeks to check I am still within my 5 lbs range.

A couple of times a year I will track my logging just to reaffirm portion sizes, or establish a new NEAT or TDEE if my exercise routine has changed dramatically.

It really is an individual thing. I didn't have a lot to lose, and my food only needed a little tweaking to drop 1-.5 lbs a week.

Cheers, h.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Been maintaining for about 4 months, still weigh and log everything. I plan to continue as long as I feel the need too.
  • stickkop
    stickkop Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I lost my weight on WW - tracked on and off for 10 years. For whatever reason I did not get into the habit of tracking WW while maintaining my weight. I am getting a little bored of WW. I wonder if anyone has tracked on both WW and MFP and whether one is easier that another.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    @stickkop there have been threads on the pos and cons of WW vs MFP. A search may give you the info you are looking for.

Cheers, h.
  • stickkop
    stickkop Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    @middlehaitch that was a great idea - thanks
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I find that I do better sticking to my nutrition goals when I log.
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I don't log on Saturday. I log every other day though.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I've been in maintenance for 16 months now, after losing around 45 pounds - this is the first time ever that I've had a stable (+/- 3 kilos) weight for that long. I continued tracking for about 9 months after I hit goal weight, so I've been "on my own" for just 7 months, but I'm hopeful this isn't just a fluke.

I believe tracking in here contributed to finding food peace at last. I've been working hard to learn to eat like a normal weight person, what foods in what quantities work for me, and I've settled on a four meal eating plan that allows for great variety inside a simple structure, which creates consistency. I still weigh foods that are easy to weigh (like rice, milk, nuts), but I think eating mostly "ordinary foods" that satisy me in appropriate amounts also provides a margin of error; eating candy every day, or "not knowing when to stop" would necessitate more caution. I plan my meals for easier shopping, more variety, and reduced waste; as I eat my way through the meal plan, it becomes a food log.

I weigh every morning and when I notice the numbers sliding upwards, I cut back on treats, and the weight settles again; I'm amazed how little it actually takes: Vigilance, determination, and a small, ongoing effort.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    On maintenance since May, 15. Still logging every day and will for a while. Kind of ready to slow down...we shall see
  • PegMoffat
    PegMoffat Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    In maintenance for a year and still track every day. I don't mind doing it. I pre-track every morning, for the day, which really helps.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    maintenance tor about 14 months. Still track daily to help make better food combination choices and balance my macros
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I'm only 2mos into maintenance and im still logging everything. I'm going to continue to do so because I'm doing a recomp now and still need to watch portions and macros.

Aside from that, I've always been good at losing weight but failed miserably at keeping it off. I'm hell bent on things being different this time so until I feel that I'm completely comfortable and trust myself enough I'll keep logging. I'd like to think one day I won't have to, but I don't know.
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    stickkop wrote: »
    I lost my weight on WW - tracked on and off for 10 years. For whatever reason I did not get into the habit of tracking WW while maintaining my weight. I am getting a little bored of WW. I wonder if anyone has tracked on both WW and MFP and whether one is easier that another.
    i've done both. i like mfp better.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Yes logging, and counting.

As my weight have proven in the past i can not do keep it without this.
    And dont mind it one single bit. Its a little task to do to keep the weight off.

95069916.png
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I've been tracking everything for four years. It's a habit. I don't think much about it. I also hit the scale every morning. I rarely measure now and find it helpful. It tells me I need to eat more most of the time.