Woahoho
    She's got some wild, wild diet
    Ain't that the way you like it?
    Ho, ha!
    Living wild, wild diet
  • tryin2die2self
    tryin2die2self Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have not come over to the boards in some time and noticed my old feed. Able's "Wild Diet" has become a recent edition to the mainstream media diet trend. Basically it boils down to cutting out processed foods, eating the most nutrient dense food for the cal/macro load and body confusion. Exercise is really optional. That said, exercise is really to increase your overall health. If you lose weight because you do it then it is just a bonus. Body confusion is going through cycles of eating as usual, intermittent fasting and 24 hour fasting (eating supper and then not eating again until supper). It works a lot like muscle confusion, but for your digestive system.

A lot of people will see significant weight loss in their first week and will probably pick up Paleo/Wheat Flu. The weight loss is really you body purging all the waste/water. The "flu" is due to your body's addiction to wheat, sugar and/or processed crap that has leached its way into our diet. Dave Aspey found a way to lessen the paleo flu and it does work. After that, you can see a steady loss of one to three pounds a week. I did not watch calories. I used MFP to log foods just so I can keep up with what I am eating.

For all those trolls looking to go swoop in on someones diary and pull it apart: be my guest. I use a diary as just that, a diary. It is not a legal ledger. If I get a particular food item and I don't see it on the list, I pick something as close as I can. That could mean some fast food restaurant is listed for a "Garden Chicken Salad". I abstain from bread and soda, though I did have a homemade biscuit Sunday and shared a Coke Zero with my spouse having BBQ (the water there was just gross, though the bbq was great). You want a journal that reads like a general ledger, go somewhere else. If you want to ask questions about what works, what does not work, what was a success and what was a failure in diet/exercise... please feel free to message me.

Have a good one. :)
  • katyamendoim
    katyamendoim Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    tryin2die2self, what is your advice for dealing with the low carb flu?
  • WRLemmon
    WRLemmon Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have found that the surest way to gain weight is to go on a diet. If you want to loose weight and get healthy you need to adopt a new lifestyle, not just a fad. Very few can "stick" to a diet plan for more than a few months, then they start slipping and before you know they have gained all their weight back and then some. Learn to prepare good tasting healthy foods, and shun the things that are not healthy, over time even the thought or a cheeseburger will make you feel bad. There is no easy road to healthy, its about wanting to, deciding to, and then just doing. What you eat, how much you exercise and by exercise I do mean both strength and Cardio on a regular schedule. You must be prepared, to commit to the new lifestyle and stick with it.
  • tryin2die2self
    Options

David Aspry, a biohacker and inventor BulletProof coffee, broke it down simply as fluid retention behind a membrane. Alcohol causes your fluid retention levels to expel water from your cells, which causes dehydration and the main reason for the "hangover". When you come off of wheat, your body's ability to control fluid levels behind a membrane is thrown out of wack. Your body starts to dump water. One of the signs this is occurring is the initial weight loss that is mostly water. The flu-like symptoms appear because this fluid retention is out of wack in your brain.

Solution: Pink Himalayan Sea Salt. Take 1/2 teaspoon in 8 oz of water first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Wait at least 10 to 15 minutes before you ingest anything else. The salt will help balance out fluid retention. This will alleviate the symptoms, if not cure them outright in a day or three.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

David Aspry, a biohacker and inventor BulletProof coffee, broke it down simply as fluid retention behind a membrane. Alcohol causes your fluid retention levels to expel water from your cells, which causes dehydration and the main reason for the "hangover". When you come off of wheat, your body's ability to control fluid levels behind a membrane is thrown out of wack. Your body starts to dump water. One of the signs this is occurring is the initial weight loss that is mostly water. The flu-like symptoms appear because this fluid retention is out of wack in your brain.

Solution: Pink Himalayan Sea Salt. Take 1/2 teaspoon in 8 oz of water first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Wait at least 10 to 15 minutes before you ingest anything else. The salt will help balance out fluid retention. This will alleviate the symptoms, if not cure them outright in a day or three.

Asprey is a snake oil salesman. Apparently, biohacking is defined by going on TRT and attributing your gains to magical coffee.
  • tryin2die2self
    Options
    WRLemmon wrote: »
    I have found that the surest way to gain weight is to go on a diet. If you want to loose weight and get healthy you need to adopt a new lifestyle, not just a fad. Very few can "stick" to a diet plan for more than a few months, then they start slipping and before you know they have gained all their weight back and then some. Learn to prepare good tasting healthy foods, and shun the things that are not healthy, over time even the thought or a cheeseburger will make you feel bad. There is no easy road to healthy, its about wanting to, deciding to, and then just doing. What you eat, how much you exercise and by exercise I do mean both strength and Cardio on a regular schedule. You must be prepared, to commit to the new lifestyle and stick with it.

We have taken the term diet and turned it into something else. If you ask what the diet is of a brown bear, a feral swine or an "unladen swallow", you get a set answer. You ask the same question of a human, your answers will vary not only from region to region but house to house. We have taken diet and make it whatever we can consume, never mind the consequences.

The Wild Diet and the BulletProof Diet look to break that cycle. It is more than what you eat, but it is also the relationship with your food. Exercise. Mental well being. Body fitness. If you are in anything for a temporary fix, you are going to get temporary results. To expect anything else would just be crazy. Yet they sell crazy every day in the media stream and people consume it. Making no real change they simple pay into a cycle akin to a purge and binge. They are then left to wonder why.
  • tryin2die2self
    Options

Asprey is a snake oil salesman. Apparently, biohacking is defined by going on TRT and attributing your gains to magical coffee.

I honestly don't drink his magical coffee (I don't make that kind of coin) but I do drink fatty coffee. However, his analysis of "paleo flu" has been backed by the medical community. I have tried the pink Himalayan sea salt and it worked for me. It has also worked for a few other people I have passed the info along to.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I have found that the surest way to gain weight is to go on a diet.

Sadly, I read that same conclusion in a scientific paper. Obviously we are all hoping to withstand any hormone driven impulses we have once we get to goal weight.

How does the author of The Wild Diet approach maintenance?

• tryin2die2self
    Options
    I have found that the surest way to gain weight is to go on a diet.

Sadly, I read that same conclusion in a scientific paper. Obviously we are all hoping to withstand any hormone driven impulses we have once we get to goal weight.

How does the author of The Wild Diet approach maintenance?

The Wild Diet IS a lifestyle change. It is not some short term plan. Maintenance happens all on its own, just stick to the principles.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Just another fad diet.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    waste of time, money, and resources. but, do what you want to do. it's your time, money, and resources.

+1

• FamedSuperPanda
    FamedSuperPanda Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've adopted the Wild Diet lifestyle for the last year and had tons of fun. It's more like a common sense and science based nutrition plan. I am never hunger and burn fat for days! His podcast is awesome too
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I've adopted the Wild Diet lifestyle for the last year and had tons of fun. It's more like a common sense and science based nutrition plan. I am never hunger and burn fat for days! His podcast is awesome too

How do you know if you burn fat for days? If you are in a calorie deficit, same diff.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Graceraeg wrote: »
    What is the wild diet?

My guess is a new name to rehash an already existing fad diet.

ETA: After a quick look see, it appears to be a spinoff of paleo...so it's like being a Lutheran instead of a Catholic I guess....

Yay...nothing like a new label.

Just more woo
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

well guess what? not eating wheat for me did not end up with me losing water weight ,I didnt have any flu like symptoms or any side effects,any flu like symptoms you get are usually from eating low carb/keto and eventually it goes away. or it could be the actual flu where you will lose water among other things as well. salt is still salt. some may have more trace minerals but its still salt. too much salt will cause retention. its not going to balance fluid retention its salt for petes sake
  • FamedSuperPanda
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

How do you know if you burn fat for days? If you are in a calorie deficit, same diff.

Oh that's just an expression. Yeah calorie deficit is an important piece. His plan is basically a method for teaching high fat low carb or paleo principles about nutrition.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    onsider joining the Low Carber Daily group. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group Most of us follow some aspects of that diet: generally low processed foods, lots of meats, eggs and full fat dairy, with carbs coming from a variety of veggies, nuts, and a few fruits.

We share your love of bacon. LOL ;)
  • FamedSuperPanda
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    onsider joining the Low Carber Daily group. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group Most of us follow some aspects of that diet: generally low processed foods, lots of meats, eggs and full fat dairy, with carbs coming from a variety of veggies, nuts, and a few fruits.

We share your love of bacon. LOL ;)

Cool thanks just joined.
  • briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Define "fad" diet. I've been following a "diet" for a year now made up of high fat and low carbs. I cut out the grains and sugars, I eat a ton of avocados, bacon, coconut oil, full fat dairy, and vegetables. I've lost 20 lbs and I have kept it off. Never do I feel like I'm on a diet. This is a lifestyle change. Not only that, but I train in jiu jitsu and compete, and I have become fully fat adapted, not needing glucose to fuel my workouts. I take cues for my diet from the Wild Diet, Paleo, and Keto diets. I don't count calories, and most of the time I don't even log what I eat. I just follow the guidelines and the fat has miraculously melted away and my muscles show through. For the first time ever, I'm able to do pullups and even clapping pushups! I never get sick, my skin is clear and glows - I am reversing the aging process, as I'm 36 and look younger than I did a year ago. I will follow the lchf diet for life. I still enjoy an occasional indulgence of foods from my past, but typically I do not like how they make me feel (sick and broken), so those foods are slowly becoming unenjoyable.

My definition of a fad diet is one that is trendy and is not something that can be sustained. For me, calorie counting is a fad diet. I tried it for years - thinking that it was working. Years of eating 1200 calories a day and working out, kept me fat and unhealthy.... and I felt like I was always starving. Counting calories was all consuming and I felt like a slave to my food diary.... but hey... to each his own....