Question about strength training and calories?

Options
I normally do these fitness blender videos on youtube. On the FB website and youtube channel they do a whole video on how they calculate calories burned for each of their videos factoring in weight, height, age, etc. They tend to show the smallest number of cals you can burn to the most (say between 150-260) for a video. I usually go off of this because they know what they're doing. There are many strength training videos on the site and they also show calories burned such as https://youtube.com/watch?v=VLm89huAEYA this video that says you will burn 70-150 calories in the 10 min video. Should I not put these down in MFP? I sometimes do 20-30 min of strength training videos such as abs, arms, butt and legs. I've heard some people say it doesn't burn much calories so you shouldnt enter those into MFP. I dont want to be adding 150 cals and some exercise calories back if I shouldn't be. Hope this all makes sense!

Replies

• lml852014
    lml852014 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Can anyone help
  • JasmineEN_
    JasmineEN_ Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't record my exercises in MFP. it's far too complicated to find out exactly how many calories you're burning per exercise as each exercise is different, as are the weight, etc. I'm 5'9" at 154 pounds. During about an hour of strength training, not including cardio, I'd say I burn AT LEAST 600 calories in that hour. That's minimum..probably ranges anywhere from 600-800 depending on the intensity of my training. Hope that helps a bit.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    @JasmineEN_ I'm no expert but that seems very high.

OP, MFP is designed for you to add your exercise cals then eat them back. If you don't you're not fuelling the workouts and may be netting too low. Try eating say 50% back then reviewing after a few weeks, adjusting if you're gaining/losing too fast/slow.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    lml852014 wrote: »
    I normally do these fitness blender videos on youtube. On the FB website and youtube channel they do a whole video on how they calculate calories burned for each of their videos factoring in weight, height, age, etc. They tend to show the smallest number of cals you can burn to the most (say between 150-260) for a video. I usually go off of this because they know what they're doing. There are many strength training videos on the site and they also show calories burned such as https://youtube.com/watch?v=VLm89huAEYA this video that says you will burn 70-150 calories in the 10 min video. Should I not put these down in MFP? I sometimes do 20-30 min of strength training videos such as abs, arms, butt and legs. I've heard some people say it doesn't burn much calories so you shouldnt enter those into MFP. I dont want to be adding 150 cals and some exercise calories back if I shouldn't be. Hope this all makes sense!

That looks like a calisthenics programme and not a traditional weights programme ...so more like HIIT

I wouldn't worry unduly at the lower number for 10 mins
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I dont try to figure calories for strength training.
    JasmineEN_ wrote: »
    Personally, I don't record my exercises in MFP. it's far too complicated to find out exactly how many calories you're burning per exercise as each exercise is different, as are the weight, etc. I'm 5'9" at 154 pounds. During about an hour of strength training, not including cardio, I'd say I burn AT LEAST 600 calories in that hour. That's minimum..probably ranges anywhere from 600-800 depending on the intensity of my training. Hope that helps a bit.

Thats a high burn for strength training. How are you estimating these burns?
  • lml852014
    Options
    So should I underestimate my calories then?
  • jmtoast
    jmtoast Posts: 4 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I lift 4 days a week and It is true weight lifting doesn't burn many calories but if it is a confidence boost to see the exercise log it. Here is the site I use to determine calories burned during exercise. http://www.exrx.net/Calculators.html Look under other calculators.
  • lml852014
    Options
    The only thing is I would like to build muscle so you're saying if I work out for 40 minutes doing strength training I shouldn't record any exercise calories at all? Even if I'm sweating and out of breath
  • MommyMeggo
    Options

Without a chest strap heart rate monitor anything else is just an estimate. So its up to you if you take the full estimate at face value.
    Which is why the majority of MFPers log but only eat 25%-50% of that estimate to err on the side of caution. (Or adjust and only log 25-50% of what the estimate is)
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »

Without a chest strap heart rate monitor anything else is just an estimate. So its up to you if you take the full estimate at face value.
    Which is why the majority of MFPers log but only eat 25%-50% of that estimate to err on the side of caution. (Or adjust and only log 25-50% of what the estimate is)

A chest strap HRM only gives you an estimate of calorie burn under specific steady-state cardio conditions

It is useless for strength training, HIIT etc
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    The only thing is I would like to build muscle so you're saying if I work out for 40 minutes doing strength training I shouldn't record any exercise calories at all? Even if I'm sweating and out of breath

If you're looking to build muscle you need a progressive programme and to eat at a surplus focusing on hitting your protein minimum

That fitness blender video is more conditioning / cardio

Structured online programmes
    http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
    https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout
    http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/4-week-guide-starting-strength

• Brandi1168
    Brandi1168 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of FB videos as well. If I do one with the calories burned, I typically log the lower number. I don't currently have a HRM, or I would use that number.
  • jmtoast
    jmtoast Posts: 4 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

You're at a deficit so you're not going to build much muscle unless you have other things going for you. Sounds like you want to log it so log it. I did it for years and it can be good for your mental state to see it in your log but stay on the low side. Also, don't sweat the small stuff. realize that your only estimating and leave it at that. It can drive you nuts.
  • MommyMeggo
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

A chest strap HRM only gives you an estimate of calorie burn under specific steady-state cardio conditions

Agree
  • samanthakbowman
    samanthakbowman Posts: 3 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Weight training burns calories, and continues to burn calories as your body recovers. I do weight training and figure competitions. I usually do not track my calories burned here. I just keep my diet in check. I try not to eat every calorie I burn. However, I have learned that leg day burns more and I need more carbs on that day.

That being said, Yes you can track it with your heartrate strap and a fitness watch like polar if it keeps a constant measure of your heartrate. An estimate is better than nothing. My personal weightlifting day burns anywhere from 150 to 600 calories depending on volume, effort, and bodypart. Your lifting calorie burn is the similar to interval cardio when it comes to sets and rests.

Use that calorie measure from your heartrate strap during lifting. Keep in mind that even calorie counts in foods that you measure vary. But measuring food, especially to make sure you get enough protein, and some, but not too much carb and fat is the way too go.

I have a website, blog, and facebook page named "Fit at Fifty Samantha"

Best wishes on your fitness goals!
  • Sued0nim
    edited March 2016
    Options

Weight training burns calories, and continues to burn calories as your body recovers. I do weight training and figure competitions. I usually do not track my calories burned here. I just keep my diet in check. I try not to eat every calorie I burn. However, I have learned that leg day burns more and I need more carbs on that day.

That being said, Yes you can track it with your heartrate strap and a fitness watch like polar if it keeps a constant measure of your heartrate. An estimate is better than nothing. My personal weightlifting day burns anywhere from 150 to 600 calories depending on volume, effort, and bodypart. Your lifting calorie burn is the similar to interval cardio when it comes to sets and rests.

Use that calorie measure from your heartrate strap during lifting. Keep in mind that even calorie counts in foods that you measure vary. But measuring food, especially to make sure you get enough protein, and some, but not too much carb and fat is the way too go.

I have a website, blog, and facebook page named "Fit at Fifty Samantha"

Best wishes on your fitness goals!

No you can't ..just because your HR increases it does not mean that the formula that underlies it relates to an anywhere near accurate estimate of calories burned

The formula underpinning the polar is based on VO2 during specific steady state cardio ..not HR increases due to muscle engagement

It's apples and elephants

It's all estimates but the HRM calorie burn on weight training is not generally accepted to be within any acceptable margin of error

I weight train, I own a Polar FT4 ...I ensure that I monitor my body over time to make sure my estimates burns and intake are keeping my scale weight range within my acceptable parameters
  • halimaiqbal00
    halimaiqbal00 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I workout with Kettlebells and wear a polar hrm which shows that I typically burn 500 calories for a 45 min kettlebell strength workout. I thought this was accurate and eat back half of these calories. I'm sweating bucketloads throughout the workout so it's very intense. Surely I'm burning around that number?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    I workout with Kettlebells and wear a polar hrm which shows that I typically burn 500 calories for a 45 min kettlebell strength workout. I thought this was accurate and eat back half of these calories. I'm sweating bucketloads throughout the workout so it's very intense. Surely I'm burning around that number?

Eating back half seems appropriate

But no you're probably not burning 500 calories I'm 45 minutes ...sweating is not an indication of calorie burn
  • JasmineEN_
    JasmineEN_ Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Clarewho wrote: »
    @JasmineEN_ I'm no expert but that seems very high.

OP, MFP is designed for you to add your exercise cals then eat them back. If you don't you're not fuelling the workouts and may be netting too low. Try eating say 50% back then reviewing after a few weeks, adjusting if you're gaining/losing too fast/slow.

@Clarewho depending on the intensity of your training, the calories that were burnt will vary. Personally, this is an accurate amount for myself. I have tailored MFP personally in a way which I do not need to input my caloric output from exercising.