Relocating and Need to Find a Gym

Options
My job will be changing in 2 weeks and I must find a place to lift. I squat, bench, and DL.

I know I will just need to do some visiting to different facilities, but before I start aimlessly wandering do you all have any suggestions of "chain gyms" that may be friendly towards folks like me who just want to train the big 3?

I know a chain is a chain but if it helps I'll be in the Winston Salem, NC area.

Replies

• antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    If I were you I would contact the gyms and see if they have a trial period or a free week that way you can find what works for you. Even chain gyms are going to vary depending on your location
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    AFAIK, Planet Fitness and places just for women are the only chains not big 3 friendly. The Gold's, LA Fitness, and YMCAs I've been in were big 3 friendly.

Most gyms have a day to a week free trial periods. Check out all the ones convenient to you and see what you like.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Wasn't sure about PF, I have definitely heard the negatives on lifting there. There is a Gold's, LA, and Y near my new job site so I will check those out.

I will check to see about a trial period.

There is a shabby looking place I found on Google maps, no website no reviews but a picture of what appears to be a weight room with rusty bars and plates, which could be the ticket I just don't want to get mugged haha.
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I've only been to LA fitness once and they weren't too keen on deadlifting. Maybe it was just the one I went to.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The LA Fitness in my area had lots of people deadlifing. So it must depend on the franchisee. To the OP, I would say start with gyms near your home or work. You'll know at first glance if they have a squat rack or not, and then you can sign-up for whatever free introductory workouts they offer to see if the place is actually for you.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I had the same situation in January and only had an Anytime Fitness nearby. Turns out there are 2 racks and they track records for the big 3 by age group. Pleasant surprise for such a small gym. Ask around and you might be surprised.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice ya'll. I'll be going back to the area later this week for drug screening, hopefully I'll have time to swing by a couple of gyms.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I've only been to LA fitness once and they weren't too keen on deadlifting. Maybe it was just the one I went to.

must have just been that one- I used to work out at one- and I never had any problems with it.