Why Water?

Options
I know everyone and everything says to drink more water, but I'm the type of person that needs to know why before I really get into it. I drink some water every day...maybe a 2 cups? So, how and why is water so important for weight loss? Same goes for sodium, why does that really matter? I understand that high sodium makes you retain fluids, but that's not REAL weight...just water that will go away, right? Can someone explain this to me?

Replies

• sharidiane
    sharidiane Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    bump.

I hate water and I love sodium. I would love it if I could DRINK sodium, in fact, lol.

I'd love to see a clear, scientific answer.
  • CodyD18
    CodyD18 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why it's good for weight loss. But I've recently been drinking over a gallon a day and I have so much energy! I'm not the only one who feels that way either. I posted a topic about it a few days ago. It's also good because it will help keep you full and I heard it keeps your body out of starvation mode better. (Though I personally feel that nobody should even eat low enough to be in starvation mode). It's also good for your skin! There are many benefits to water! If you start drinking at least 8 cups a day you will feel the difference!
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Water makes your body run efficiently like a machine. Burning fat efficiently requires a high water intake.
  • DanL66712
    DanL66712 Posts: 135
    Options
    Well for a start, too much sodium is bad for you....raises your blood pressure, contributes to heart disease, makes your heart work harder as a whole. If you don't care about the bloating etc, then cut down on sodium for other health reasons

As for the water thing, read this - http://www.dumblittleman.com/2007/07/9-great-reasons-to-drink-water-and-how.html
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Water flushes the toxins out of our system. It helps keep your skin looking clear. It helps your kidneys function properly - actually, it helps ALL your organs function properly.

I didn't use to drink as much water as I do now - I had issues with my complexion, with my kidneys hurting, and a bunch of other things. Now that I drink more water - my skin is clear, my kidneys don't hurt, I feel better, I sleep better.... Our bodies are made up of mostly water and when we get dehydrated they stop working properly.
  • mikkimomof3
    mikkimomof3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of with you on this one...I understand it is healthier in general to drink water and limit sodium, but not sure it's necessary for true weightloss.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    The best explanation I've heard is that water is a solvent, and as such is necessary for most metabolic processes.
  • emilymiesel
    emilymiesel Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    The human body is anywhere from 55% to 78% water depending on body size. A rule of thumb, 2/3 of body is consists of water, and it is the main component of human body. Did you know that your tissues and organs are mainly made up of water? Here is the %:

Muscle consists of 75% water
    Brain consists of 90% of water
    Bone consists of 22% of water
    Blood consists of 83% water
    The functions of water in human body are vital. The water:

Transpsort nutrients and oxygen into cells
    Moisturizes the air in lungs
    Helps with metabolism
    Protect our vital organ
    Helps our organs to absorb nutrients better
    Regulates body temperature
    Detoxifies
    Protect and moisturizes our joints
    Every cell in your body needs water from head to toe. That is why it is so important to drink enough fluid. Take for example, brain consists of 90% of water, if you do not supply enough water to your body, your brain cannot function well, and you will get headache or migraine. Hence, next time, if you feel fatigue and headache, it may be the sign of dehydration.

The Harmful Effects Result from Dehydration:
    Tiredness
    Migraine
    Constipation
    Muscle cramps
    Irregular blood-pressure
    Kidney problems
    Dry skin
    20% dehydrated – Risk of death
  • mags2504
    mags2504 Posts: 275
    Options
    I drink about 3 ltrs water a day now, I used to have swollen ankles etc. The water flushes out toxins in your body, If you only drink a minimal amount your body retains fluid which is what was probably happening to me before. Don't have swollen ankles now so I'm gona carry on with my 3 ltrs a day, cana do any harm.
  • truckie332
    truckie332 Posts: 11
    Options
    hi nichole, im new to the site, but ill try to explain what i know about it. First, water flushes ur system of most toxins, if u drink enough, second it hydrates ur muscles, giving them the ability to work harder, and longer. Thats very important if your working out. i try to work out atleast 5 times a week, so hydration is very important to me.Also, water helps prevent binge eating, and snacking, by keeping your stomach fuller. Too many people think they are hungry , when actually they are just thirsty. Plus a good tall glass of ice water just TASTES GOOD!. Its such a huge part, of good health, and its practically FREE! But soo important.And the part about sodium, Too much sodium, causes problems such as high blood pressure, and other cardiac problems(in excess anyway), your body need "some" salt.the problem most people face, is eating way too many processed foods, which are loaded with sodium . for tast, and as a preservative.Try to staw away from prosedded foods, and canned foods as well.Also, salt makes u retain water, with in turn, causes u to look bloated. Most of us are trying to lose weight to lose inches, so the extra water weight will make u appear bigger, even if its just "water weight". Too much weight, is unhealthy foir our hearts, wether its from water or pure fat. its all part of total health. hope this helps u a little bit.
  • meparker56
    meparker56 Posts: 36
    Options
    I looked up why water is so important so I would not sound like an idiot, even though I know the reasons, I do not always put things into words well. I actually learned more than I knew so, hope this helps! yes, it's true that salt can cause you to retain fluids, fluid build up can happen anywhere in your body including around your heart! it can also cause you to become dehydrated. It can cause high blood pressure, and also adds to hardening of the arteries. A little goes a long way. This is only some of the problems associated with to much salt. You should research online for more information on both of these subjects, but hope this little bit of info helps! Good luck with you lifestyle change!! :smile:

Initial weight loss is largely due to loss of water, and you need to drink an adequate amount of water in order to avoid dehydration.
    The process of burning calories requires an adequate supply of water in order to function efficiently; dehydration slows down the fat-burning process.
    Burning calories creates toxins (think of the exhaust coming out of your car), and water plays a vital role in flushing them out of your body.
    Dehydration causes a reduction in blood volume; a reduction in blood volume causes a reduction in the supply of oxygen to your muscles; and a reduction in the supply of oxygen to your muscles can make you feel tired.
    Water helps maintain muscle tone by assisting muscles in their ability to contract, and it lubricates your joints. Proper hydration can help reduce muscle and joint soreness when exercising.
    A healthy (weight loss) diet includes a good amount of fiber. But while fiber is normally helpful to your digestive system, without adequate fluids it can cause constipation instead of helping to eliminate it.
    Drinking water with a meal may make you feel full sooner and therefore satisfied eating less. Note, however, that drinking water alone may not have this effect. In order to feel satiated (not hungry), our bodies need bulk, calories and nutrients.
  • morganginga
    morganginga Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Water flushes the toxins out of our system. It helps keep your skin looking clear. It helps your kidneys function properly - actually, it helps ALL your organs function properly.

I didn't use to drink as much water as I do now - I had issues with my complexion, with my kidneys hurting, and a bunch of other things. Now that I drink more water - my skin is clear, my kidneys don't hurt, I feel better, I sleep better.... Our bodies are made up of mostly water and when we get dehydrated they stop working properly.

In addition, my dentist says that helps your teeth as well. Drinking more water will flush any loose bacteria or food from between your teeth and doesn't wear on your tooth enamel like most drinks.
  • Cdcaldwe
    Cdcaldwe Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I hit a plateau bad on my weight loss. I upped my water up to 64 oz a day. Then it started coming off quicker. Not scientific but helped I think.
  • ceeceew
    ceeceew Posts: 21
    Options
    Water is not just good for weight loss, but important for your overall well-being. I know that's vague, so let me explain: Water and sodium run with one another. Where salt goes, water follows. So, if you have lots of sodium, your body will retain water. Sodium goes right into the cells of your body...and takes water with it.. but where is it pulling it from? Your blood stream, therefore, you'll be dehydrated and your blood with be thicker and not performing its duty of delivering O2 to your cells effectively. Let me ask, do you have a hard time giving blood? Does it take a long time when your doctor tried to just fill the test vials? It's because you're not hydrated. Blood also filters through your kidneys to remove the toxins and leftovers from your body and convert it to urine. If you're not having enough water - or too much salt, you could do damage to your kidneys --- renal disease, need dialysis, etc. It can also harm your bladder when the urine is so concentrated.

You need to replenish the stores of water that your body loses normally through evaporation, saliva, tearing, sweating, and urinating.

So with all of that, you might think, why not just balance it out by lowering your salt intake. Well, sodium is needed for so many metabolic and life-sustaining processes - like fluid balance, nerve impulses, and many more. A very low sodium diet is more dangerous than a higher sodium diet, in my opinion.

And as far as the superficial things, water just makes your skin, hair, eyes, lips, and nails look and feel better.
  • rosieef
    rosieef Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Sodium and potassium ion exchange is involved in the electrical impulse that makes your heart beat. I can't remember more than that, but if you upset your sodium/potassium balance you put your heart at risk of failure. Not so good. Increasing your potassium so it matches a high sodium level wouldn't really work because the high sodium causes many other problems too. High sodium makes your body hang on to water and increases your blood pressure, can damage your tissues, especially your kidneys - kidneys don't like high sodium or blood pressure. The water is not free to go off and do metabolic things, it's stuck with the sodium.

Sorry, my memory of this theory is very hazy. I'm sure someone else can shed a bit more light...
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Also, water helps you feel full. Frequently, when you think you're hungry, you are really thirsty. Drink a large glass of water (zero calories or harmful additives) and see how you feel in 30 minutes. If you're still hungry, you probably do need food.

And, dehydration is very bad. If you're thirsty, you're already partly dehydrated. But you can also be dehydrated without being thirsty at all. Symptoms include:

Dry, sticky mouth
    Sleepiness or tiredness
    Thirst
    Decreased urine output
    Few or no tears when crying
    Dry skin
    Headache
    Constipation
    Dizziness or lightheadedness

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dehydration/DS00561/DSECTION=symptoms

Think about it, if you are sleepy, tired, dizzy and have a headache...just how much of a workout are you going to get? You feel SO much better when you have plenty of fluids in your body.
  • sharidiane
    Options
    Sodium and potassium ion exchange is involved in the electrical impulse that makes your heart beat. I can't remember more than that, but if you upset your sodium/potassium balance you put your heart at risk of failure. Not so good. Increasing your potassium so it matches a high sodium level wouldn't really work because the high sodium causes many other problems too. High sodium makes your body hang on to water and increases your blood pressure, can damage your tissues, especially your kidneys - kidneys don't like high sodium or blood pressure. The water is not free to go off and do metabolic things, it's stuck with the sodium.

Sorry, my memory of this theory is very hazy. I'm sure someone else can shed a bit more light...

aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh ... i just had a nightmare flashback of Pre-Med Biology 101 and the Krebs cycle ... I thought I had erased that particular memory from my brain forever. It was right after that exam that I decided Pre-Med was Not For Me, lol.
  • Pseudocyber
    Pseudocyber Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    bump.

I hate water and I love sodium. I would love it if I could DRINK sodium, in fact, lol.

I'd love to see a clear, scientific answer.
    Is that Pepe, Prawn Cracker?
  • sharidiane
    Options
    Si .... you like?

We both a-like-a-to shake-a our bon-bons.

Edited to add:

It's terrible that my 5 and 7 year old repeat this phrase all the time. In public. 5 to 7 at the supermarket yesterday: If you touch me again, I will smack you. I will smack you like a bad, bad donkey, ok?

xoxo fellow Pepe lover
  • Pseudocyber
    Pseudocyber Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    In a nutshell, your body is mostly water. You lose water daily through sweat and metabolic process (pee). If you don't replace it adequately, then your body will store water as a reserve, thereby making you weigh a few more pounds than you ordinarily would. Water is heavy. If you're trying to be the least weight you can, you don't want those extra pounds of water, so the more you drink, the less you retain, because the body says it's got enough, thank you very much.

And all those other healthy scientific reasons above.