Replies

• Lorriehashope
    Lorriehashope Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'll trade you I only get 1200!!!!
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Well, your BMR (basal metabolic rate) which is just what your body needs to keep itself alive if you were in a vegetative state is probably between 2100 - 2300 at 260lbs, so any activity over that just adds to the your calorie allotment.

If you burn 1000cal per day with all of the activity you do apart from being a vegetable, then that definitely accounts for a 2400cal/day goal to lose at 2lb/week.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    ...that a 5-8 male who weighs 260 pounds will lose 2 lbs per week on 2400 calories like MFP says is my calorie goal. That would mean that 3400 would be maintenance. Seems high.

Doesn't surprise me. I'm 5'4.5", 122.3 lbs (trend weight) and my maintenance ranges from 2000-2400 depending on how active I am.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5'4 female at 179lbs who maintains at 2400, so it doesn't surprise me.

Have you checked with other sources such as http://www.calorieking.com/ ?

Yeah, No! That site gives me 1100 calories for lightly active...
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

I tried it too, and it gives me 300-400 less than every other calculator I've checked. Nope, nope nope!
  • heatherlewisis
    heatherlewisis Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    ...that a 5-8 male who weighs 260 pounds will lose 2 lbs per week on 2400 calories like MFP says is my calorie goal. That would mean that 3400 would be maintenance. Seems high.

Hmmmm that does seem high but I'm definitely not an expert... I started out at 245 and set it to 2 lbs a week; it gave me only 1560! I'm 5'7".
  • heatherlewisis
    heatherlewisis Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Oh but I'm a female... I missed the fact that you're a dude... Makes sense!
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

I used CalorieKing before MFP existed. It was 13 years ago and I was fresh out of high school. I lost weight, but at the end they were giving me 1000 calories per day when I was 119 pounds. I remember having some seriously hungry days.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options

3400 would be maintenance for a 260 lbs male. Once you get lighter your maintenance calories will drop and so will the calories needed for weight loss. For example a 5'8", 170 lbs, moderately active male would maintain at ~2600 calories.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Yeah, sounds about right. I'm just under 230 now, and according to the data extracted from MFP into an Excel spreadsheet, my TDEE over the past few months has averaged around 3280.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    synacious wrote: »

I used CalorieKing before MFP existed. It was 13 years ago and I was fresh out of high school. I lost weight, but at the end they were giving me 1000 calories per day when I was 119 pounds. I remember having some seriously hungry days.

Jeez :( I'm sure there are a lot of hangry people using that site...

• misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    I still don't understand. You're losing weight eating at the recommended amount for MFP. Why do you find the MFP number so hard to believe? The evidence is right there on the scale!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options

Wow, I'll sometimes use CalorieKing to confirm an entry's nutrition but jeeze. That's nuts.

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    I still don't understand. You're losing weight eating at the recommended amount for MFP. Why do you find the MFP number so hard to believe? The evidence is right there on the scale!

Because some people (a lot actually) can't believe they can eat a reasonable (aka not be half-starved all the time) amount of food and lose weight.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    misskarne wrote: »

Because some people (a lot actually) can't believe they can eat a reasonable (aka not be half-starved all the time) amount of food and lose weight.

Yep. Most of us have had it drummed into us that "dieting equals misery and starvation"
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options

Jeez :( I'm sure there are a lot of hangry people using that site...

Dieting to lose lbs by default is going to make people hungry. Otherwise it wouldn't so hard!

Maybe I'm doing something wrong with MFP being new, but MFP gives me 1340 as opposed to Calorieking's 1500.

My original response to that person was because her number seemed too high by calorieking.

But like she said, the actual scale and progress is best. Carry on.