Strength training for a beginning runner

Options
I'm a 230 + pounds women (lost 10 pounds since january), I'm on week 4 of the C25K apps (my second time on the program). It's going very well.

My problem is I would like a program to work core and upperbody. Ideally videos to follow. I would do the 30 day shreds (Jilian Michaels), but it's so hard on my legs and the running is hard enough, I have to be careful for shin splits and I don't want to hurt myself and have to stop running.

So any suggestions for free or paid videos that works core, upperbody, arms...?

Thank you :)

*sorry, english is not my first language

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Try youtube for some bodyweight exercises/routines. Some popular youtubers are:

fitnessblender
    millionaire hoy
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a gym? If so, pick a progressive strength program like strong lifts, new rules of lifting, or starting strength. Be conscious of adding weight to the lower body exercises and maybe add more slowly for lower body if you find out your runnig is suffering.

Strength training, especially core and legs, is very important for runners!

You can also do a variety of body weight exercises. Look up 'you are your own gym' for ideas.
  • noelmkhan
    noelmkhan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ditto the you tube! You can also find several free apps with strength training exercise programs. I like Sworkit, Fitstar and Workout Trainer.
    On another note.... I just started working out last week and I get shin splints too. I tried using KT tape today and it did make a bit of a difference! I ordered it on Amazon but they also have it at Walgreen's/CVS. I did a you tube search for how to apply it for shin splints :)
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I'm 6 week sin training for a half marathon, 2 weeks ago I started adding in some strength training, it is making my runs harder, not easier. I'm trying to up my calorie intake to see if that helps, but everything I read says if you're new to running it maynot be the best time to add strenuous strength training. If you are still actively trying to lose weight(eating at a deficit) I would be extremely cautious of adding strength training to a running program.