I DONT LIKE diet food

Options
I have looked over many of my friends diaries and I see that they eat half the calories I do yet probably have double the volume of food that I do. I have wondered about this and I finally figured it out--I dont LIKE diet food.

I can not stand SKIM milk-- I like whole milk- the kind that leaves a mustache:love:

I like HOMEMADE bread--that diet carboard-even my chickens wont eat--so a sandwich is at least 150 cals or more for just the bread-for open face if I put a lid on it it is 300 cals:grumble:

I eat real butter- not yellow grease stuff or spray on butter--:noway:

and I dont like processed "diet" foods- to me they have no taste:sad:

so I guess I will have to go with low volume eating and fill up with fresh veggies and such- its ok i will ENJOY what I get to eat!!!!!

Just an observation--:smile:

Replies

• lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options
    Nothing wrong with that. If you were to eat that crap you don't like, you would be less likely to stick with the "diet" long term.
  • LadyKT
    LadyKT Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    And you know what the beauty of all that is? You don't have to!! Just keep up with a lot of fruits and veggies and yes you can have some (not a ton!) real butter and a glass (not 1/2 carton!) of WHOLE milk!!
  • rosieef
    rosieef Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Ah, me too. I will not eat cardboard! It's not worth it, I'd rather run up and down the stairs 15 times to earn some proper bread...

You are not alone!
  • Pete_Mann
    Pete_Mann Posts: 94
    Options
    It takes a little adjusting. I used to be like you, only whole milk was milk. Skim milk was gray water. I had to ween myself with 2% for a while, and now I am down to Skim and really don't notice the difference.

Same thing with Whole Wheat bread. I went to a whole wheat white, then a soft wheat, and now it's all 100% whole wheat for me.

At this point, I don't even feel like I am giving up anything. I actually enjoy the flavor of everything I eat.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    m220435628.jpg
  • kathyhull
    kathyhull Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I don't think all that "diet" low-fat stuff is all that healthy anyway. Use portion control and eat the stuff you really like or you won't stick to it anyway. All the low-fat diet foods have extra salt or replace the fat with sugar so they're just not all they're cracked up to be. Lots of water and vegies and a small portion of something you like at each meal, along with more exercise and you'll do fine.
  • tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I drink 2% milk
    I really haev to stay way from all breads (theres a place in my town that makes yummy yummy bread and I'm pretty sure I could eat the whole thing by myself if I really wanted to)
    Butter...heck yeah I like the real thing..I just don't put on as much
    Dont' eat provessed diet foods often...only in emergency

Mostly fresh veggies and fruits, and lean meats. I actually sometimes can't believ how much I eat when I fill it mostly with veggies and fruits.

:flowerforyou:
  • hummzz
    hummzz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I don't eat "diet" food either. I am losing weight with the foods that I know I will eat for the rest of my life. I cook differently now and have increased fruits and veggies, but I don't eat low cal or diet foods other than my Pepsi Max. I feel like if I lose weight using those things and then when I go back to eating regular I will gain the weight back so I use what I use just in a more responsible way. I've lost 42 pounds still. So I say eat your homemade bread and your buttery butter but just do it within reason. I eat whatever I want as long as it fits within my cals/fat/sodium. Good luck!

Side note: I also found that the "diet' or "low fat" food often have higher amounts of sodium as well. You can compare your foods before shopping at www.shopwell.com
  • EHuntRN
    EHuntRN Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    whas diet food??? 2% milk is not diet milk, its just contains less fat, whole wheat bread, I dont eat processed meals either...and I dont consider the food I eat "diet food" what is that...I am just eating healthier..to my liking!!
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    I'm with you! I despise diet foods...and they aren't really healthy for you: loaded with salt and sugar or sugar derivatives when it's packaged.

So, I only have bread a few times a week now and eat big salads filled with fresh organic veggies and chopped up turkey or chicken. I have butter on my whole grain english muffin EVERY morning, but only a quarter of what I used to have. I found low fat ranch dressing that's tasty and have goat cheese on my salads with walnuts.

Just backfill with your veg and low glycemic index fruit (apples, oranges, strawberries) and still enjoy your lean cuts of steak, bread, butter! :)
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    *sniff sniff* i smell something troll-like and it has ugly feet too.
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I don't really eat diet food. I eat every day things BUT I try to moderate the amount I eat. I can't eat diet MAYO for example.

I used to love whole milk but I've weened myself off it . When from WHOLE, 2% and now 1% I hope get to skim milk in the next couple of months.

If I overeat lets say pizza I just make sure to bust my butt on the elliptical that evening.
  • bexxw
    bexxw Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I totally know what you mean! If you like to cook/bake try cooking light on line http://www.cookinglight.com/ they have a ton of healthy **really good** recipes (even my boyfriend who is anti diet anything likes them :) ) and they tell you all the nutritional details and serving sizes... there are all sorts of meals from snacks and sides to mains to desserts and bread and baked good etc..I make enough of a lot of the stuff to have leftovers for the week, and portion it out into tupper-ware.. (mildly OCD but it keeps me on track!) I'm honestly building a cookbook I've used so many! Plus I can add the recipe to my foods, and don't have to deal w logging every ingredient! They even have quick options and 5 ingredient options if cooking time is tight! Check them out They are lifesavers!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I agree with you completely. I don't like "diet" anything, especially any of the artificial sweeteners. However, I do eat a large volume of food--unprocessed (for the most part--I do like deli ham and light Laughing Cow cheese) :happy:

I have looked at people's diaries too and often I think that people don't eat enough volume in fruits and veggies. I see people who are starving themselves on 1200 cals but literally eating those cals up with fat-free hotdogs, chicken nuggets, diet cookies and ice cream. those folks, I'm afraid, are not gonna make it.

I keep my diary open, so anyone feel free to take a peek--I like to think I eat a healthy balance, usually 1600-2000 cals a day.

blessings.
  • kittyhorn
    kittyhorn Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty much whatever I want to eat. I don't eat a whole lot of processed stuff. I use 2% milk because I have to buy it for my 18mth old son and I just can't be bothered to buy myself separate milk. It's all about balance for me. No reason to eat all that diet stuff....most of it's kinda gross anyhow. I like the fat in my cake, thank you.....it's what gives it taste.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I drink 1% milk switched from 2% a few years ago, now when i taste the 2% it is too thick. I dont eat diet foods. I eat healthier then before. I got a healthy margarine instead of butter, chicken breast and lean meat cuts, brown rice instead of white and i still eat pasta sometimes. Try slowly switching stuff around, tweaking your recipes with healthier choices you will be surprised on the amount you can eat by sacrificing the high fat add ins that you might not even notice are gone. I made meatballs, gravy, and mashed potatoes yesterday. I added hidden healthy stuff in there and the total for my bowl was 300 calories. It was awesome. my son didnt even notice that the potatoes were 1/4 potatoes and 3/4 cauliflower.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I don't like diet food either. Lately, I've been making my own soups to bring for lunch. I make a pot on Sunday and have it 3 or 4 days, until I'm ready for a change. Many soups and stews are filling, have vegetables and are tasty. I make split pea and ham, lentil, minestrone, vegetable beef, and french onion soups. My daughter makes soup and freezes portions so she can have more variety. I also make a pot of spaghetti sauce and freeze half of it.
  • abbyko
    abbyko Posts: 108
    Options
    I eat a TON of bread! I and I will never give it up. But what I do, and have always done, is either make my own whole wheat bread, or I buy it from a good bakery. They tend not to add the oils and sugar that you'll get in store bought bread, drastically reducing the calories. The only ingredients you need in bread is flour, water, salt and yeast. Period.

For my Canadian friends, Cobs Bakery has whole wheat bread for 170 calories for 2 slices. No oils, no sugar, no preservatives.
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    You can't go wrong with fresh fruits and veg. and if you want to feel satisfied focus on lean protein like chicken, turkey or fish, low fat dairy like plain Greek yogurt with berries. I don't eat anything diet only clean eating of natural, wholesome foods. P.S. I use a Misto with olive oil in it for cooking and flavoring veggies and I don't eat bread.
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I have looked over many of my friends diaries and I see that they eat half the calories I do yet probably have double the volume of food that I do. I have wondered about this and I finally figured it out--I dont LIKE diet food.

I can not stand SKIM milk-- I like whole milk- the kind that leaves a mustache:love:

I like HOMEMADE bread--that diet carboard-even my chickens wont eat--so a sandwich is at least 150 cals or more for just the bread-for open face if I put a lid on it it is 300 cals:grumble:

I eat real butter- not yellow grease stuff or spray on butter--:noway:

and I dont like processed "diet" foods- to me they have no taste:sad:

so I guess I will have to go with low volume eating and fill up with fresh veggies and such- its ok i will ENJOY what I get to eat!!!!!

Just an observation--:smile:

i like you hate "diet" food. if i'm going to have milk i have vitamin D milk which is full fat, i do like light yogurt however, and i thought yogurt would be the same as cottage cheese and i wouldn't be able to tell the difference but i only like whole fat cottage cheese too. i buy light string cheese but i use full fat everything else and cook with real butter and i like hillbilly bread it taste like home made. i eat a lot of fruit. and i rarely eat meat because i can get protein from so many other sources. but i don't generally go over my calories and if i do it's not by very much.