cheat day?

Options
Do you give yourself a cheat day? If so, how often and what are your rules for yourself?

I'm finally getting my motivation back to get back in shape, but I'm trying to be honest with myself, and know that I'm not going to stick to it if I try to be 100% "good", 100% of the time. I don't want to be too strict and end up bingeing and then falling off the wagon. I'm really not trying to set myself up with excuses, just trying to be realistic so I can be successful. Maybe this isn't the way to be looking at it. I've heard the "everything in moderation" bit, but to stick to my daily goals, I don't know how to reallly satisfy cravings that I know I'm going to have. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Replies

• ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Why have a WHole day of Blowing it? Just do a meal
  • SISDONNAK
    SISDONNAK Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I think cheat days should happen at least ONE month into your weight loss program and not sooner. It takes 30 days to establish a habit and one day to break it so give yourself some time if you just started out! When you do 'cheat' make sure you add EXTRA movement into your day and don''t go over 500 calories. Certainly not more than twice a month. Good Luck!
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I don't like planned cheat days. I can live with cheat meals, but not planned out a week in advance. For me planning "cheats" means that the way I eat day to day is deprivation and the cheat is what I really want to do. You have to think lifestyle change and you have to do it in a way that works so that you won't want to cheat. What kinds of things do you want to have for your cheat day that you don't let yourself have normally? Is it certain foods or is it just being able to eat whatever you want without counting?
  • 0SimplymeStacyLea0
    Options
    I am back on board after a month of doubting myself. I get on a program and fall right off. I hope to stick with this doing slim in 6 and eating 1200 calories a day. I do plan on giving myself rewards just in moderation. Haven't decided if it'll be a burger once a month or a latte from Starbucks. Good luck!
  • garbagedog
    garbagedog Posts: 31
    Options
    No suggestions, but I'm right there with you. I have a sugar addiction and I know junkfood is 80% of my problem. So, I'm trying to cut out sugary snacks, except one cheat over the weekend (if I'm good all week). Although, I read that the best thing you can do for a sugar addiction is to NOT eat it because eating sugar makes you crave it or something like that.

But, I do believe we have to feel like we're not punishing ourselves with healthy diets. We have to permit ourselves sweet things now and then.
  • mkw122680
    mkw122680 Posts: 33
    Options
    I don't have a cheat day per se. But on the weekends when we have company up or we have to go out with the inlaws, I will allow myself to have a "cheat meal" if I have to. I make sure to eat a filling meal before (it's usually a lunch or dinner that is my cheat meal) and drink plenty of water as I eat, but I don't feel bad about my choice, I get whatever I want and I enjoy it. But the next meal, I'm right back on it. Of course, I still log my cheat meal to the best of my ability.

I try to only have a cheat meal once every two weeks or so. Like you said, you can't be 100% perfect 100% of the time. I just try to make the smartest decisions possible each and every meal.
  • abbyko
    abbyko Posts: 108
    Options
    I have a huge weakness for hamburgers (and a Fatburger just opened a block from my house!), so every now and then (I'd say about once every two weeks or so) I have one. Either homemade which is obviously much more healthy, or from a fast food chain. But what I try to do is plan for it. Either by having lower calorie meals the rest of the day so I don't go over my limit, or if I feel I super hungry and just need to do it I try and make sure that I don't go over my maintenance calories(for me that's about 1800). That way I won't gain any weight and my loss will just be temporarily slowed down.

If I'm going out and know that I'll be going over my limit I try and make the best choices possible while still enjoying my night out. You can't deprive yourself of the things you enjoy. Just try do it in a smart way. Good luck!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I do a whole day, but that doesn't mean that I go CRAZY and have Bob Evans farmers breakfast, fried chicken for lunch and burgers and fries for dinner topped off with the worlds biggest piece of cake. It means that I pick one of those things and eat a reasonable amount and stick to my healthy foods the rest of the day (and have a portion of the worlds biggest piece of cake). I just don't count that day and don't feel guilty about it.
  • CristineD
    CristineD Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I give myself a little treat every day :blushing: either a little extra sugar in my tea or a biscuit after supper. I'm trying to make this a lifestyle change so that I know I will maintain it. I used to binge eat all the time when I was trying to "diet" but doing it this way has led to proper cheat days leaving me feel awful form all the processed and high fat/sugar foods I choose. So I opted for a treat-a-day and now I don't binge at all....much easier to stick with!
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I had this exact same worry, that I would eat in moderation then feel deprived and go eat a million calories. And that happens, not planned, but sometimes i say screw it, and by lunch my whole day is "ruined" calorie wise. But I watch what I eat at dinner (and sometimes I'm not even hungry for dinner depending how badly I gorged myself) and start fresh the next day
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I dont have cheat days-- I have days where I decide that I am going over- because I want to- because of something special and I want and "NEED" it. I keep it to a minimum but I dont want to be on a diet, I want to lose weight and get healthy. But I dont call them "cheating" because that to me means I am breaking some "rule"--
  • twinkietigress
    twinkietigress Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    How about a treat day instead....

There's usually a day or two where Im not my best. Here are my rules. They aren't usually planned, they happen organically ie. I get an invite for a glass of wine etc I try to still moderate myself but if i'm having a crave I wont deprive myself on that one day. (help a piece of cake versus the whole cake etc)

In the evening I reflect on what a nice treat that was and prepare a plan for staying on track.

Also be sure to give yourself non food treats too..

:) Twinkie
  • SarahE12345
    Options
    Do you give yourself a cheat day? If so, how often and what are your rules for yourself?

I'm finally getting my motivation back to get back in shape, but I'm trying to be honest with myself, and know that I'm not going to stick to it if I try to be 100% "good", 100% of the time. I don't want to be too strict and end up bingeing and then falling off the wagon. I'm really not trying to set myself up with excuses, just trying to be realistic so I can be successful. Maybe this isn't the way to be looking at it. I've heard the "everything in moderation" bit, but to stick to my daily goals, I don't know how to reallly satisfy cravings that I know I'm going to have. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I dont really have a cheat day. What I do instead is allow myself one special treat but as an award. If I do NOT go over in calories at all from Friday to Thursday the following Friday I allow myself a treat. However, I still try to stay in my calories even when I have my special treat. My special treat is an ice cream. I get the Blue Bunny, "personals". It is a small ice cream and some of them are under 250 calories. I make sure I pick the flavors that are "healthier" ie strawberry instead of peanut butter.

Example because that was probally confusing.....

If I do not go over in my calories from Friday June 17th to Thursday June 23rd, on Friday June 24th I will rewaed myself with a "personals".
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options

In my long and sad history of dieting, cheat days have invariably turned into cheat weekends, which turn into blown diets and a months (or years) of self-loathing and weight gain. So I don't have cheat days. If I really, really need that homemade Reese's peanut butter cup ice cream (like I did last week), I cut back on the calories I'd planned for other meals and make room for the ice cream. Yesterday was my birthday, but I didn't budget for the birthday "cake" (pound cake with fresh fruit and whipped cream), so I didn't have it--I'll have it today where I can better plan for it.

For me, and I can only speak for me, "cheat days" are akin to "smoke days" for folks trying to quit smoking. By allowing all those bad habits a place in my life and engaging in the kind of eating that helped get me here, I'm just inviting failure. Better for me (and like I said, this is just my life) to give those foods a much smaller and controlled place in my every day life.

Kris
  • hippie162
    hippie162 Posts: 19
    Options
    I do! Every sunday is the only day I have off with my partner, (who eats like a horse and never puts on a pound!) I don't think of it as a cheat day, more of a treat day.

I've been doing this since i changed my eating habits, which was around 2 1/2 years ago now and ive lost 2 stone since then. I found that having the odd sunday roast or piece of cake once a week doesn't do any harm, in-fact I'd say it makes it easier because your not denying yourself things. I don't log any calorie entries on these days, it would only make me feel guilty and that defies the point. Also It tends to be my meals that contain more calories, I don't physically eat more food.

hope that helps!
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want as long as I burn enough calories to cover
    and stay around my calorie goal.
    IMO to eat without being aware of your consumption is defeating
    your lifestyle change and that is exactly what I have done change my
    lifestyle, I know longer crave or even think about eating foolishly .
    Did I just say that :embarassed: I think I finally got it :bigsmile:
  • 2legit2qwit
    Options
    Also be sure to give yourself non food treats too..

:) Twinkie

Very good point. I need to remember this! I have an addiction to Bath & Body Works, and I like to buy new workout clothes, so those could work. :smile:
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I don't like planned cheat days. I can live with cheat meals, but not planned out a week in advance. For me planning "cheats" means that the way I eat day to day is deprivation and the cheat is what I really want to do. You have to think lifestyle change and you have to do it in a way that works so that you won't want to cheat.

This is a very good point. Even up to recently I have felt that way (can't wait until Saturday so I can have REAL food). And this is where I see my falling point. I need to fix that. I don't want to think healthy food is a punishment and that restaurant food is a reward.
    I think it has to do with our mindset too. I don't intend to eat celery and lettuce all of my life but at the same time I cannot eat a cheeseburger everyday. So the point is to learn about food, learn how to eat, learn how I can eat a good yummy greasy cheeseburger sometimes without feeling like I cheated or like I screwed everything up. This is not an excuse to eat greasy food but for so long (and from what I read I'm not the only one), I have tried to diet and when I "cheat" I feel so guilty and then sooner or later the guilt causes me to quit and there I am back at square 1.

I want to eat good clean food because it's good for me. I'm 32 now and diabetes, high blood pressure and all those scary things are waiting for me just around the corner if I don't get myself healthy. My goal is to get to the point where I can enjoy food because it's my fuel, because it's good for me and because it taste good.
  • ATXJudie
    ATXJudie Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I don't have scheduled "cheat days" per se, but I do give myself a break now and then. I do my best to eat healthy and keep in my calories and work out regularly most of the time. But special occasions I let myself have a good time and not stress about it. For example, our best friends are moving away and their goodbye party is this weekend. I am not going to worry that night about how many calories are in the beer I am drinking when toasting them, or the snacks I am eating. I am going to enjoy their party (granted I am hoping to have time to go to the gym before the party, but since it is at our house I will just have to see how the day goes). I don't think one night here and there will completely derail me. And if I thought I couldn't have fun at a party -- this "diet" would seem like a diet and not a lifestyle change that I can continue.
  • Frozenmango
    Frozenmango Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I agree that having a "planned cheat day" is a bit counterproductive. This is a change of lifestyle, not a diet. And yes, in real life, you're going to have foods that you love that aren't the most healthy or nutritious, and it's not realistic to think you'll never eat or drink them again.

I personally work at being diligent every day, making healthy choices in my food. But if I have a day where I really want say, a cookie - then I have a cookie and be done with it. Or if I'm out with friends and they have a plate of nachos and I really want some, I'll grab a small plate and have a few. I think the key is to make it a rare occasion and being controlled about your "cheats". If you feel like cheesecake, you don't need to have 2 slices or even a particularly big one. Moderation is the key.

If you have a sweet tooth or cravings around that time of month (that's my Achilles heel), perhaps looking for a low-fat recipe for a sweet treat to make at home will help. The same with salty or fatty things etc. Don't give up on yourself, you can be diligent!