Looking for Iron !

Options
I have noticed that despte the fact that I seem to have no trouble reaching most of my vitamin and mineral goals I get no where near the reccommended iron levels. I enjoy all food groups but tend to get most of my carbs from veg and fruit. Any suggestions of whole foods that I may be unaware of. Gotta get that iron !

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    meat, especially red meat, beans, dark leafy greens, dried fruits, prune juice
  • ilonapook
    ilonapook Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Garbanzo beans any good ? Iron wise......
    Love prune juice !
    Love red meat but trying to move towards lower fat ......maybe iron can win out in thus internal debate. ;)
    Thank you

• itsmemaringle
    itsmemaringle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hibiscus tea ☕️
  • greej
    greej Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Lentils!
  • spat095
    spat095 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I get most of mine from spinach. I have had trouble getting enough at times, and now I take a multivitamin that has iron. Before that I would eat a cup of Total cereal - 100% dv iron in that. Good luck!
  • ilonapook
    Options
    Hibiscus tea ☕️

You are kidding ! Never knew of that. I love teas.
  • ilonapook
    Options
    greej wrote: »
    Lentils!

I have made lentil soup. Any other recipe suggestions ? What can you mix with it as a side dish so its not just mushy?
  • ilonapook
    Options
    spat095 wrote: »
    I get most of mine from spinach. I have had trouble getting enough at times, and now I take a multivitamin that has iron. Before that I would eat a cup of Total cereal - 100% dv iron in that. Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion! I do put spinach in smoothies so maybe I can ramp that up a bit.
    Will also scour the cereal isle though trying to stay somewhat away from processed foods. Do you have a particular iron suppliment you suggest.?
  • wl4v
    wl4v Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If am low on Iron I'll use a tbsp of black strap molasses in my tea or drizzled in my oatmeal. 1 Tbsp has 20% or the dv for Iron and tons of potassium.
  • kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    ilonapook wrote: »
    greej wrote: »
    Lentils!

I have made lentil soup. Any other recipe suggestions ? What can you mix with it as a side dish so its not just mushy?

Lots of Indian food recipes use lentils (dal) and I believe the trick is you don't cook it quite as long as you would for soup, so it doesn't "break down" into mush.
  • poteatkd
    poteatkd Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Not sure how you feel about grits, but 1 little packet has 45% DV.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Mollusks are #1
    Chicken livers are pretty high on the high iron list.
    Beef liver.
    Beef
    Pork

Veggies have some, but your body only absorbs 1/3rd of it. So if the nutrition says 9 mg you're only getting 3 mg. Something to keep in mind. Also I believe MFP is based on 14 mg a day to equal 100% (true also of all nutrition labels). Women who still menstrate need 18 mg so 100% out of 14 mg iron a day isn't enough to maintain your blood iron levels. You can change your iron goal though I think. Try 129% as a goal.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,644 Member
    Options
    Flintstones multivitamin with iron. :)
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

Hehe. You're onto it.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options

I recommend Honey Nut Cheerios (29 g = 30%) and Wheat Chex (47 g = 80%).
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

I recommend Honey Nut Cheerios (29 g = 30%) and Wheat Chex (47 g = 80%).

Ah, I couldn't remember their names!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I'm stunned to read that chocolate is an excellent source of iron! https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Iron-HealthProfessional/
  • ilonapook
    Options
    Thanks for all of this great input ! Foods that I dont usualy think of . Excited to use molassas as a sweetener.....new snack food can be a can of smoked oysters.....looking out for new things to try and jazz up lentils and chick peas in......interesting that vegetable iron sources not as biovailable as meat sources ! I may also have to give liver another try. My Hungarian grandmother used to do something good with chicken livers. ALSO , lovin the Checks cereal and flintstone vitamin options
  • ilonapook
    Options
    First time posting and really appreciative of the feedback everyone !
    Cheers :)
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Regular tea can actually inhibit iron absorption. Are you anemic? Have some labs done with your doctor.