Any ladies aged 50 plus out there?

Options
2»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,580 Member
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    Hello to all! I will be 60 in August and decided that I wanted to be one of those "go go" grannies!! Neither of my children have produced anything to "go go" for, but I have granddogs that I need to be able to keep up with!! I too have some medical issues, such as knees and I am approved for knee surgery and currently waiting for The Date. I am scared witless about this, so want to maximize the chances of the surgery going well, so am attempting to take off as much weight as possible in order to improve chances of healing well. My surgeon told me that x amount of pounds off means y amount of reduced strain on your knees, so thats my rationale. (I cant remember the actual numbers - another "seniors issue" with which I struggle!)

(To bolded point above) - Subjective reaction: So, so true. I can't over-state how much less knee discomfort/pain I have since losing 60-some pounds, which was about 1/3 of my bodyweight. (I have a torn meniscus, and am trying to avoid/delay surgery.) It has made an absolutely huge difference, and I started noticing improvement at around 20 pounds down, if I recall correctly.

So, sez I: Stay with it. It's worth it. (I'm 60, too, BTW.)
  • artdebrigitte
    artdebrigitte Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would love to be part of this lovely group. I turned 52 in February and got to meet grandbaby #6 in Texas (I live in Illinois ). I just joined a gym to get moving, as my son (of the new baby ) made me promise to do so! I'm also starting to track my intake and just want to lose weight without obsessing over it or making myself miserable! I have around 60lbs to lose -my goal, not some book, so here I go! Looking for buddies to support and to be supportive.
  • linnellal
    linnellal Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I too would love to be a part of this group. I'm 52 and looking at knee replacement surgery in April, so my exercise opportunities are slim... unless you want to count the 17 stairs up to my apartment, and I do. I've been logging my food faithfully every day and lost 3 pounds the first week! I'm investigating seated chair exercises on you tube as well. It's going to be fun to have a group to share with.
  • Lilale
    Lilale Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello, ladies! I am 55, and getting discouraged. I am almost always under my calorie goal and reasonably near my macro nutrition goal of 50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fat. I've lost maybe 10 pounds and have 10 to go. And I seem to be stuck.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Lilale wrote: »
    Hello, ladies! I am 55, and getting discouraged. I am almost always under my calorie goal and reasonably near my macro nutrition goal of 50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fat. I've lost maybe 10 pounds and have 10 to go. And I seem to be stuck.

Are you weighing your food? With so little to lose, it's important to be accurate with your logging. Those last few pounds are hard and come off slowly. Keep up the good work. You will reach your goal. Patience. :smile:
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I'm age 60 and 21 months into my journey. I feel so much better than I did at 60 or even 40. My 18 mo story is in the Success form, "18 months and going strong". Should be on page one or two. I dont seem to be able to copy the link on my phone.
    You can friend me if you want yo make positive comments. I don't need complainers or more auto-posts!
    SW 301
    Cw. 168
    GW 150
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I'm 51 and lost over 30 lbs last year thanks to MFP. I always cooked well and ate healthy foods, but counting calories showed me that my serving sizes were simply too big!! Also, I've always worked out, but now I do just a little, but every single day. This has been a good approach for my lifestyle.
    I am a wife, mom and have a very busy career.
    Height 5'4"
    SW 157 lbs
    CW 125 lbs - less than high school, I think!
    I'm pretty much trying to maintain now. It helps a lot that my husband and son are into health and fitness, so we share tips and have somewhat similar diet strategies (except I can only eat a fraction of the amount they do....).
  • rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I am 50 and happy to be
  • rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I don't know what happened to the rest of my post...I have 48 lbs to go and would love to make some new friends!
  • ZBuffBod
    ZBuffBod Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Hi. Welcome to the get healthy club. I'm 54 and have been here for nearly 2 years. Lost 43 lbs and have been in maintenance for about 6 months. I will send you a friend request.
  • Savanna2015mfp
    Savanna2015mfp Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yes 54 and need to lose 60 pounds...
  • GiaMiaC
    GiaMiaC Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yes 50 and need to lose almost 100lbs...just got my Garmin vivosmart hr a couple weeks ago and loving it! My husband and I are on this journey together...but as you know men lose faster than us! I would love to have moral support in the way of women going through a similar battle. :)