Some of these friend requests...

Options

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I don't feel any obligation to accept friend requests...it's not personal, it's not like we know each other. I probably turn down at least half of the FRs I get.
    Also, I don't mind too much if a guy is what I call a 'pretty girl collector' if he has some actual substance and involvement in the website.
  • JeffreyMGiron
    JeffreyMGiron Posts: 3,582 Member
    Options
    I like to read, so to get into my FL all you gotta do is read too =] normally when i request someone its because I need to make more friends and im interested in talking, chatting, motivating, and getting motivation. I pretty much know something about everyone on my FL, thats why i keep it small
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    I never used to go to the activity feed page. I still have to force myself sometimes. So for the longest time I was a deadbeat friend lol. I thought people were just collecting friends for show, a la Friendster/Myspace.

I logged back in last Nov. after remembering I even had an account and I found that I had like 3 friends left lol. I guess people take their pruning very serious which is why I don't send requests for fear that I can't live up to friendship duties. I feel deeply honored to receive them though and lately I've been working on being more interactive and supportive. I'm starting to witness the beauty of this community.

I have to say though, if you decline friend requests you're a bit cold hearted IMO. This place is a blip on the internet... health & fitness is the one indisputable thing that matters in all our lives.... we're all gonna die someday and our time on MFP will be brief..... so when someone thinks enough of you to send you a friend request and you decline it? Wow, that is horrible to me. And giving up on someone because they haven't logged in for 8 days? Where is the unconditional love and acceptance? Because if it's not on a forum devoted to health & wellness than I am at a loss as to what that says about the human race.

Peace. *single tear*

• slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,452 Member
    Options
    I never used to go to the activity feed page. I still have to force myself sometimes. So for the longest time I was a deadbeat friend lol. I thought people were just collecting friends for show, a la Friendster/Myspace.

I logged back in last Nov. after remembering I even had an account and I found that I had like 3 friends left lol. I guess people take their pruning very serious which is why I don't send requests for fear that I can't live up to friendship duties. I feel deeply honored to receive them though and lately I've been working on being more interactive and supportive. I'm starting to witness the beauty of this community.

I have to say though, if you decline friend requests you're a bit cold hearted IMO. This place is a blip on the internet... health & fitness is the one indisputable thing that matters in all our lives.... we're all gonna die someday and our time on MFP will be brief..... so when someone thinks enough of you to send you a friend request and you decline it? Wow, that is horrible to me. And giving up on someone because they haven't logged in for 8 days? Where is the unconditional love and acceptance? Because if it's not on a forum devoted to health & wellness than I am at a loss as to what that says about the human race.

Peace. *single tear*

:o ..*sob*..so beautiful..
  • _SummerGirl_
    _SummerGirl_ Posts: 3,791 Member
    Options
    lauranorr wrote: »
    I'm always happy when I get a friend request. I accept and sent out instructions on our secret handshake and get sizing information for our matching embroidered jackets :wink:

This is hilarious!
  • ashleystidham
    ashleystidham Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm always happy when I get a friend request. I accept and sent out instructions on our secret handshake and get sizing information for our matching embroidered jackets :wink:

This is hilarious!

I love! Sending you a fr right now
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    @_SummerGirl_ I like your name I think we would make good friends :blush:
  • thehexenbiest
    thehexenbiest Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I usually just go with a gut feeling. I don't think showing off what we've worked for is a bad thing on this website. Most of the time, the profile picture isn't meant to be a part of their introduction but a way to show off an achievement on their own profile. And I rarely look at people's friend lists but on the few occasions that I did both, men and women, had mostly women on theirs, so I don't think it has to be a sign they're collecting. And even if people do get a little flirty, I don't consider this is a super bad thing, as long as it's respectful and people accept a no when they get one.

However, I have received a few weird messages. Not even friend requests but messages where they tell me stuff that's in no way related to anything I've posted about or wrote on my profile and then say they'd like to add me. Well, uh...do it? I'm not gonna go and do that for you. But I don't know, they might be spam.
  • bdgfn
    bdgfn Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    My profile specifically states to send me a message, yet I continue to get requests without a message. I will go ahead and accept if I have interacted with the person before, or if they are on some of my other friends FLs. For now I generally send a message back to the rest saying I need a message. So far, that has worked. I have only deleted one person from my FL so far, and she was nothing but a drama queen on here looking for sympathy and using MFP like FB.
  • bdgfn
    bdgfn Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    I don't think showing off what we've worked for is a bad thing on this website. Most of the time, the profile picture isn't meant to be a part of their introduction but a way to show off an achievement on their own profile.

Totally agree. After all, this is a fitness website, and as someone stated earlier, friends on other sites, such as FB, often ridicule others when they post progress photos there. If you can't post them here, and get nice feedback, where can you? And I have only seen one woman's photos that were "edgy" and borderline NSFW, but still, they were showing her progress. She has taken those photos down since. And yes, she is on my FL as well.
    And even if people do get a little flirty, I don't consider this is a super bad thing, as long as it's respectful and people accept a no when they get one.

A little flirting can be fun. People just have to know the boundaries and respect them.
  • GymRatSF
    GymRatSF Posts: 8,903 Member
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »
    GymRatSF wrote: »
    I've yet to get a single friend request with a message so hence no friends as it seems strange that someone wouldn't at least write something in the request.

@GymRatSF maybe no one knows what to say to Superman

@synchkat would a batman shirt have been better? :D
  • blue443
    blue443 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    @lauranorr now that is awesome and funny. Can't go wrong with space invaders.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »
    I've yet to get a single friend request with a message so hence no friends as it seems strange that someone wouldn't at least write something in the request.

@GymRatSF maybe no one knows what to say to Superman

@synchkat would a batman shirt have been better? :D

Well clearly yes.
    geez
  • mypitchisperfect
    mypitchisperfect Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Love your glasses...^^
  • ashleystidham
    ashleystidham Posts: 171 Member
    Options

This is hilarious!

This is hilarious!

Received and accepted! Not only will you receive this awesome jacket....duvtqka4xlbx.jpg

But now and for a limited time only as a special bonus gift you'll receive this epic jumpsuit..6dut9xga98df.jpg
    (Totally matching mine of course....;)

Sooooo worth it, I'm gonna rock the jumpsuit everyday
  • tristen_leigh
    tristen_leigh Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Apparently, this thread was my personal invitation for more shirtless torsos to friend request me...
    m1i1u4vxrgsj.jpg
  • tristen_leigh
    tristen_leigh Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Non_Stop wrote: »
    Apparently, this thread was my personal invitation for more shirtless torsos to friend request me...
    m1i1u4vxrgsj.jpg

You can't replace me.

You'll always be the #1 shirtless torso.
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Batman, always be Batman.

Thanks for this thread, OP. :)