What I wish I knew when I was just starting out

Options

Replies

• v_cowley
    v_cowley Posts: 70 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    ETA - Oh, and I wish I had known that for entries in the database, the serving sizes had a drop down so you could change them. I wasted four months or so, searching entries for ones in grams because the default serving size wasn't showing grams. Things like...sweet potato, raw, unprepared. The serving size on the official entry shows 1 cup cubed, but if you click the serving size, you can change that to grams. So much time wasted looking for entries that I couldn't find because I didn't know that. :smile:

I have been using MFP since Oct 14 and I did not know this. I now feel like a real dingbat. Thanks for sharing it though!
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Bruceapple wrote: »
    The most important thing: portion control.

This is so true! When I think that my husbaand and I used to eat 125g pasta each as a normal helping!
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    v_cowley wrote: »
    ETA - Oh, and I wish I had known that for entries in the database, the serving sizes had a drop down so you could change them. I wasted four months or so, searching entries for ones in grams because the default serving size wasn't showing grams. Things like...sweet potato, raw, unprepared. The serving size on the official entry shows 1 cup cubed, but if you click the serving size, you can change that to grams. So much time wasted looking for entries that I couldn't find because I didn't know that. :smile:

I have been using MFP since Oct 14 and I did not know this. I now feel like a real dingbat. Thanks for sharing it though!

I didn't know it either. I'm excited to use it!!!
  • ehsmr
    ehsmr Posts: 7 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    CICO. This would have saved me two ish years of sheer frustration!

What is CICO? (Nevermind I read more and found it sorry )
  • Ingrids_Oily_Tongue
    Options
    kgb6days wrote: »
    How much better I feel eating healthy and being more active

Amen sister.
  • Allterrain_Lady
    Allterrain_Lady Posts: 421 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    That working out is never gonna get comfortable. That it's not supposed to. You feel cheated on when you realise that later on...
    AND CICO, all the way!
  • ImChipper
    ImChipper Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    vixtris wrote: »
    It all comes down to the basic math of calories in and calories out. Burn more calories than you take in, and how many more you burn will determine your rate of loss. Accuracy matters. Don't half a s s this *kitten*. Don't listen to what others say about 'counting calories is unhealthy.' Counting your calories accurately by weighing with a food scale, and using a heart rate monitor to give you a more accurate calorie burn during your cardio workouts will give you the best results.

Oh gosh yes. Counting calories, at least for a while REALLY shows you exactly how much you are taking in, and especially forces you to see that without calorie counting/portion awareness, you can have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich that costs you 500+calories!

My friend doesn't count calories and they assume a salad is their go-to, but when I pointed out the cheese, the meats, the SALAD DRESSING dousing it all, once we counted it up, they may as well have been eating pizza for lunch. It was an eye-opener for them, and hopefully everyone realizes to count EVERYTHING. the sweetener, the oil, the seasonings, the marinades, the butter pats :)

Loving all the advice and knowledge I'm getting from these articles!
  • kirstinlee
    kirstinlee Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    No single set of data points truly mean anything out of context. I've lost close to twenty pounds, but in theory, the majority of that could be water weight. I've lost around an inch off of my hips, and a half inch off of each thigh, but that's "about it." However, the chest/waist/hips/thighs measurements don't tell the whole story, either. They don't take into account every other place on your body that weight is coming off... depending on your genetics, it could all be coming off in places you would never think to measure. If I looked only at my hips and thighs, I would be ignoring the fact that I now have to arch my back to have the back rolls that I had standing up straight a month ago.

Weight loss is definitely a big-picture deal.
  • RebekahRN83
    RebekahRN83 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    To ignore the scale and just focus on what you know works (and is healthy, obviously)
  • khushygal
    khushygal Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just started my weight loss journey. This has been very insightful especially the part of weightloss being a new life style. I always figured after I lose all the weight I'll go back to eating whatever I wanted. Definitely an eye opener. Thanks alot guys
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    That a one day derail, or even a weekend derail in terms of food or booze is not the end of the world. In 120+ days of logging I think I have been over the 1200 cal limit maybe 15 times and it is AOK!! Day by day. Week by week. It a change in lifestyle which I am loving.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

#1 If you cant sustain it for life dont attempt it to lose.

#2. Activity increases activity.- Essentially, keep moving. Doesnt have to be a marathon but just, GO!
    #3. Realistic goals with a realistic time frame.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!