Vacation

Options
Hey! I was wondering how people approach vacations, as I'm about to take my first while using MFP/losing weight. I'm 15lbs down in 3 weeks which I'm really happy with, and going on vacation soon to a city with famously great food.

Do you
a) Stick strictly to lower-calorie foods and try to continue your weight loss pattern as normal
b) Eat what you want and take a vacation from weight loss
c) Try to make good choices within the parameters of still having a good time/participating in the food culture/not wanting to spoil other people's fun?

I'm leaning towards taking a c) approach, because if this is going to be permanent, I have to accept that sometimes my routine will change, I'll put a bit on, but it doesn't have to mean I throw in the towel on my weight loss journey.

Any vacation thoughts/opinions/ideas/experience welcomed!

Replies

• Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I would not say to heck with it I would watch what I ate for breakfast and lunch and eat a happy dinner so "c" is close to what I would do. Healthy eating is not an all or nothing proposition.
  • runningalice
    runningalice Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'd say a balance of B and C. Obviously try to make healthy choices but if one evening you want something that you know isn't healthy go for it and maybe have a smaller portion? or share the food with the person you are going with? If it is a lifestyle change then some days are going to be indulgent and other are going to be frugal. and Enjoy your holiday!! :)
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    C

Incidentally, if I've been trying to lose weight before the holiday I try to incorporate a couple of weeks at maintainance cals before the holiday. This, I have found helps me to maintain control of my eating and drinking in the first few days of the holiday and means that any bloating from the increased cals/carbs has typically dissipated by the first day of the holiday.

Also, although I stay active during holidays and will often go out for an early morning run or two or even (if the mood strikes me) do a few sets of push-ups, burpees, or chair dips, I don't continue my normal exercise routines whilst on holiday.
  • Jonna13
    Jonna13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I didn't track or limit any food options on my vacation. I just had a good time and figured I'll get back on track when I'm home. I gained 2.8lbs, but within a week I was back to pre-vacation weight without much effort. It was likely water weight/food weight, and I would say I "maintained" during vacation.

Just enjoy your time!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    I am a C girl all the way.
    You are correct, this is a lifestyle not a diet and you have to learn to handle vacations and festivities to make it work for you.

Cheers, h.
  • violet_wister
    violet_wister Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I think c) is the way to go. Thanks for the responses so far!
  • kettiecat
    kettiecat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a cruise where I denied myself nothing, buttery rich food, triple desserts, pizza lunches, 3 large full course meals and ice cream snacks for 7 days.... But I was more active. Three days after being home and I weigh less than when I left.

Vacations are a break for me. I don't think a week set back is a big deal when you look at a life long health change.
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I was away from home for a month over December/January with no internet for the majority of the time and no access to a scale, so I decided to just wing it and see how good I was at guesstimating for maintenance. So c), I guess :)