Meat & Potatoes Girl

Options
Hi everyone! Just looking for some food tips for someone who, well, doesn't really like veggies (gasp!). Not all veggies, but there's not many that I like. I was brought up on meat and potatoes! I will eat: onions, peppers, mushrooms, and simple salads like garden salads or spinach salads. I like carrots and turnips in stews, and will actually munch on carrots, but it's not something I ever snack on. I'm always looking for recipes but find that so many of them are not something me (or my husband and little) will eat. I've been eating lots of stirfry lately, and I love them but one cannot live on stirfy alone....
Please don't judge me :#

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You sound like my wife. I use www.mccormick.com to find a bunch of new recipes for veggies. Even ones that my wife typically won't eat. It's all in how you prepare them. I like to try one to two new recipes a week to see if its something I would fit into my routine.

Other good snacks: greek yogurt, nuts, cheese, protein bars, and fruits. Personally, i tend to eat larger meals and don't snack as much.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Have you tried roasting vegetables with a little olive, salt and pepper? Yummy
  • Txgal555
    Txgal555 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I love Japanese curry,you can find it easily in Asian stores and through all your favorite veggies and your lean Protein in. Yummy
  • zira91
    zira91 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    do check the veges recipes listed in the blogs and pick which you'd think u and your family will love to try.. :smile:
    i can see lots of yummy recipes using potatoes , mushroom, pepper etc there.. do check it out :)

http://www.budgetbytes.com/category/recipes/vegetables/
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with meat and potatoes as long as it is lean meat and no high calorie toppings on the potato. Eating Well has a good Sloppy Joe recipe with onion, peppers, mushrooms and lean ground beef you might like.
  • CardiganandFlannel
    CardiganandFlannel Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Some good tips. I think I'm going to drink my veggies. Once a day...choke it down...then back to my meat and potatoes.
  • april1779
    april1779 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I love how active these boards are. I left my question open, went down to have some coffee with my co-workers (granted, I was gone longer than I should have been), came back and saw a bunch of great responses. Love this place :)
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I was the same way about vegetables now I practically roast everything - mushrooms, carrots, onions, radishes, asparagus, artichokes, green beans - even potatoes :smile:
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    turnips, carrots, leafy greens, potatoes, onions, peppers and mushrooms is pretty decent variety. Do you also eat beans?
  • april1779
    Options
    I'm not a bean eater. I used to love canned beans, terrible I know, but it was another thing we grew up eating. I don't eat them anymore, holy sodium. I do like green and yellow beans, but I only like them fresh, I don't like them cooked.
  • april1779
    Options
    I must try this roasting you all speak of.
    :o
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    april1779 wrote: »
    I'm not a bean eater. I used to love canned beans, terrible I know, but it was another thing we grew up eating. I don't eat them anymore, holy sodium. I do like green and yellow beans, but I only like them fresh, I don't like them cooked.

Nothing wrong with fresh beans. I eat canned beans all the time.
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    nothing wrong with meat and potatos. but it is harder to feel full on just those.

grown ups eat their vegetables. popeye eats his vegetables. be like popeye. except dont get into as many bar fights.
  • rachaelbell21
    rachaelbell21 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Do you like soups? My husband doesn't care for vegetables but will eat lentil, leek and potato, broth.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    I must try this roasting you all speak of.
    :o

You will probably be surprised at the difference in taste and texture from steamed, raw or boiled.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Cut a cabbage head into I inch thick slices. Brush each side with a mixture of olive oil, salt, pepper, and smashed garlic. Line a cookie sheet with foil and then parchment. Lay the cabbage on it and roast 20 minutes at 400 degrees. Turn them over with a spatula and roast for 20 more minutes. Tastes like garlic bread. Drooling!!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options

Nothing wrong with sodium, unless you have hypertension. In fact, if you are active, you need more sodium than the average individual as sodium is one of the components of electrolytes. I commonly eat 5000mg a day, but I also workout hard for an hour. And considering the health benefits of beans, I wouldn't stress it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I roast and or saute mine- I use bacon grease and garlic.

these two things make a huge difference.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    cbelc2 wrote: »
    Cut a cabbage head into I inch thick slices. Brush each side with a mixture of olive oil, salt, pepper, and smashed garlic. Line a cookie sheet with foil and then parchment. Lay the cabbage on it and roast 20 minutes at 400 degrees. Turn them over with a spatula and roast for 20 more minutes. Tastes like garlic bread. Drooling!!!

Oh don't do that. While I love roasted cabbage don't give unrealistic expectations. It will not taste like garlic bread.
  • april1779
    Options
    Do you like soups? My husband doesn't care for vegetables but will eat lentil, leek and potato, broth.

I like potato based soups, and some noodle. I've really never ventured into making them though. But it's something I may be trying soon, as I've been looking up recipes like a fiend these last few days. Seriously, obsessed.

It's not so much stressing over sodium, it's how it makes me feel. Extremely bloated. No one wants to be around me after having too much sodium!