1100 calories

I know that you are not suppose to go below 1200 calories, but I read that I should do 1100 calories, due to diabetes2 and weight loss. I was told that you still 'can get' all your nutrients on 1100cal… like to hear other opinions. thanks

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    You can but it's not simple. I spent half a day once figuring out how to meet everything at 1200. You end up with some odd foods to meet deficiencies, unless you supplement.
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    edited March 2016
    I eat at about 1000-1200 a day. I'm also under 5 feet (about the height of a 5th grader :s ) and not HUGE.
    It depends on SO MANY THINGS.

If you have diabetes, you really should talk to your doctor and or nutritionist about this. I wouldn't drop that low and not be watched.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    one235 wrote: »
    I know that you are not suppose to go below 1200 calories, but I read that I should do 1100 calories, due to diabetes2 and weight loss. I was told that you still 'can get' all your nutrients on 1100cal… like to hear other opinions. thanks

If you are meticulous about tracking your nutrients, it's probably possible (we are only talking about 100 calorie difference, here). However, there are other detrimental effects to under eating, including mood and sustainability issues.

Are you exceptionally short? The 1200 calorie limit was devised for women of average height (5'5-5'7), so for those who are much shorter (under 5'), dipping a little under is not going to be outlandishly unhealthy (once again, assuming you're tracking your nutrients carefully).

I would definitely not recommend a 1100 limit if you fall in or above that average height. It's just not feasible.

Addendum: I have never, ever heard of any medical professional recommend a severely low calorie diet as a treatment to diabetes. that would raise some red flags about the person who gave you that information.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    I'm sure it's possible, if that's truly the best advice for your specific body, but like the others have said, you'll have to eat very carefully to get a sufficient amount of nutrients and whatnot - with 1100 calories, there is NO wiggle room for "empty" calories. I'd be more inclined to eat a little more and MOVE a little more.
  • one235
    one235 Posts: 70 Member
    I am 5'2" and I can't even make my food to 1200calorie. I eat a lot of veggies, chicken and fruit. I'm doing ok with almost 1200cal. but my weight is going no where for 10 weeks now, I lose 3 lbs, then it comes right back on…

No doctor told me this, I read it on a Nutrional site. Just wanted to know what other people think. I track every single thing and I weigh everything.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    a lot of fruit probably isn't great on 1100 calories. https://cronometer.com/ would help track all the nutrients.
  • drsuevanderjagt2
    drsuevanderjagt2 Posts: 6 Member
    Im having the same struggle, cant get the scale to budge but staying within my goals, i tried lowering my carbs, but can't consistently keep them under70. What gives?
  • one235
    It is very hard to lower carbs and get your calories up, at least for me it is… I spend a lot of time reading all different sites and they all tell me something different.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    If you are not losing weight, you are not eatin 1100 calories. Get a food scale and weigh ALL your solid food.
  • kf1834
    kf1834 Posts: 43 Member
    I'm 5'0 and usually have between 1000-1300 / day, depending. You can do it and get your nutrients but everything really has to count. I eat lots of vegetables (lots of nutrients for few calories) and whole grains and beans. I have lean meat only once a day (if at all), breads tend to be slim (pita or sandwich bread vs bulky rolls), dairy is usually plain yogurt or cottage cheese instead of glasses of milk. Eggs are a good source of protein if you watch how they're made. Drinking only water / no calorie drinks and not snacking between meals helps so you can eat good sized, well rounded meals that provide the nutrients you need and help you feel human :) I still indulge but it's all about balance: a 1300 day may be followed by a 1000 one. But after eating this way for 2 months, I find that my "cheat" days don't tend to go higher than 1350 anyway. Go figure!
  • one235
    I do eat a lot of veggies, a lot of protein, I have to keep my carbs down. I measure everything on a scale. I also walk a lot. thanks for replies
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,082 Member
    I do eat a lot of veggies, a lot of protein, I have to keep my carbs down. I measure everything on a scale. I also walk a lot. thanks for replies

The other thing is are you sure the database entries you are using here are correct. There are quite a few that are not, not to mention regional differences for prepared foods and condiments. For fresh foods, USDA entries, for prepared stuff compare the nutrition information label to the food entry you are using.
  • one235
    ok…. I will check that. I use the entries with the check marks.. thanks
  • firstlay_d
    firstlay_d Posts: 31 Member
    My calorie intake is around 1200 to 1300 a day based off my weight.. I notice my clothes fitting better, I try to stay away from the scale because it will drive me CRAZY . Most of the time I have calories left over at night, so I guess it's What Your Eating.. I have my 3 meals and 2 snacks.. ALL WATER no juice soda or milk.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    How much fruit are you eating? Do you test your blood sugars?

You COULD consume 1,100 calories per day, but you may not be able to do that long term, but a brisk 1mile walk will burn an additional 125 +/- calories so that you don't have to.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Not sure of your stats but I'm diagnosed type2. I keep my cals btwn 1300-1400 because 1100-1200 just wasn't enough. WHat I find working is staying away from as much processed and shelf stable stuff as possible bc they tend to be loaded with sugar and sodium. I'm in agreement with some of the others ..you may be eating much more than you think...

FYI -This is a disclaimer from MFP about foods marked with the Green Check

We do our best to ensure the nutrition information for 'checked' foods accurately reflects nutrition information from the product packaging. Many of the foods in our database are created by users, and occasionally food will be marked with a 'check' that has nutrition information inaccuracies. We are always working to improve the accuracy of nutrition information for 'checked' foods, and new 'checked' foods are being added all the time.
  • one235
    michelle172415

I try staying away from fruits, due to the carbs and the sugar. I am now trying no sugar fruit. I have never been much of a fruit eater. I just had blood work and was told that my sugar is high, so I have to watch sugars and carbs.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    michelle172415

I try staying away from fruits, due to the carbs and the sugar. I am now trying no sugar fruit. I have never been much of a fruit eater. I just had blood work and was told that my sugar is high, so I have to watch sugars and carbs.

No sugar fruit?!? What kind of fruit is that? I've never heard of that before.
  • one235
    Del Monte fruit cups, no sugar added.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    elphie754 wrote: »
    michelle172415

No sugar fruit?!? What kind of fruit is that? I've never heard of that before.

Lemon, grapefruit...