Losing weight for the military

Options
Hi all! I recently lost about 20 pounds over the last year. Since then, I have been accepted to veterinary school and decided that my new goal will be to try to join the army veterinary corps. Therefore, I have about another 10 pounds to lose to meet their fitness criteria (which I want to do even if I don't join the army). Does anyone have any specific tips or personal experience trying to get into shape for the army and staying at that weight? I am 5'0 and I currently weigh 139 lbs and I need to get to 129.

Replies

• WeekendWarriorTX
    WeekendWarriorTX Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I'm in the Army National Guard and I will tell you what I can.

For general health and fitness of course your main focus should be CICO. you'll lose pounds by ingesting less than you burn on a daily basis.

For Army fitness, you can go online and see what the Army Physical Fitness test requirements are for your age. for your MOS, and the fact that you'll commission, i doubt your chain of command will be as strict on how they count pushups, etc. some apps i used to help with pushups and situps were the 100 pushup/situps app, and I also looked up the 300 abs workout and that increased my situps. for running, if you can't pass the APFT standards now, work on doing 30/60s (30 second sprint, 60 second rest) and work up to 60/120s. I doubt you'll be required to pass the APFT when you commission, but they will have some minimum standard to pass you through MEPS. your experience will most likely differ from mine since i enlisted infantry. they're pretty strict on PT standards.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Your recruiter will likely want you to have a 5 lb buffer too - so if the max you can weigh is 129 then you'll want to try for 125. At least that was my son's situation.
  • rmntrose2
    rmntrose2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I had 16 pounds to lose in two months before I joined the navy. I stayed dedicated and had a half hour routine my recruiter showed me. It was random exercises including push ups, sit ups, leg lift on both leg...but in between every excercise was two minutes of running in place. Every other day we ran a mile and a half. I was given a list of things to eat like only two pieces of bread a day, only one glass of milk a day, 10 canteens of water... But the was before MFP. my tip is to remember, if you can not discipline yourself enough to lose weight, you won't have the discipline to make it through boot camp. The girl I was losing weight with could not control herself, somehow she got to boot camp anyway and came back a few weeks later because she failed. You only have So much time in your life where you qualify for military service. Don't think on it too long and forever regret not going through that adventure. Its tough, parts of military serve I down right hated. But it made me who I am now and I so glad I pushed through the nerves and out of my comfort zone (oh and get way used to that ) and joined. Take care. Keep your eye on the prize.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

For general health and fitness of course your main focus should be CICO. you'll lose pounds by ingesting less than you burn on a daily basis.

For Army fitness, you can go online and see what the Army Physical Fitness test requirements are for your age. for your MOS, and the fact that you'll commission, i doubt your chain of command will be as strict on how they count pushups, etc. some apps i used to help with pushups and situps were the 100 pushup/situps app, and I also looked up the 300 abs workout and that increased my situps. for running, if you can't pass the APFT standards now, work on doing 30/60s (30 second sprint, 60 second rest) and work up to 60/120s. I doubt you'll be required to pass the APFT when you commission, but they will have some minimum standard to pass you through MEPS. your experience will most likely differ from mine since i enlisted infantry. they're pretty strict on PT standards.

Aside from following all this advice, know that you are entering into a community where physical fitness will be a core value and a source of advancement. If you want to raise in the ranks your personal fitness should be outstanding. Not only will this help in your standing and advancement, but increase your duty options.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

All solid advice, on top of that:

You're just a hair over a normal weight BMI. What do you tape? I never in 8 years made weight (including entry at MEPS).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I recently lost about 20 pounds over the last year. Since then, I have been accepted to veterinary school and decided that my new goal will be to try to join the army veterinary corps. Therefore, I have about another 10 pounds to lose to meet their fitness criteria (which I want to do even if I don't join the army). Does anyone have any specific tips or personal experience trying to get into shape for the army and staying at that weight? I am 5'0 and I currently weigh 139 lbs and I need to get to 129.

My 49 year-old self cannot recommend anything my 19 yo self did to make weight for the USAF, lol.
  • WeekendWarriorTX
    WeekendWarriorTX Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

You're just a hair over a normal weight BMI. What do you tape? I never in 8 years made weight (including entry at MEPS).

I applaud the Army with acknowledging the need to tape individuals, but only measuring the neck and waist is duummmbbbbbbb
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    rmntrose2 wrote: »
    You only have So much time in your life where you qualify for military service. Don't think on it too long and forever regret not going through that adventure. Its tough, parts of military serve I down right hated. But it made me who I am now and I so glad I pushed through the nerves and out of my comfort zone (oh and get way used to that ) and joined. Take care. Keep your eye on the prize.

This is going through my head now. I am within a couple years of being too old. I could probably get a direct commission based on my degree and my profession. But the husband is not supportive. I am looking at Navy, not Army, but still estimate it would take me a year to get to the weight I would need to so am just focusing on that and physical fitness for now. I suppose a husband has a right to veto that sort of thing, but it does feel like this is an opportunity slipping away. My understanding of the commission programs is you need to be able to pass the tests from day one, so definitely start a running program at some point. Your recruiter should have suggestions, but like others have said, just walk/jog and slowly increase distance and try not to get injured etc.
  • BumbleBreeBuzz
    BumbleBreeBuzz Posts: 83 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice! I am pretty fit already (or at least i would consider myself fit lol) I can run 2 miles (pretty slowly) and push ups and situps are no problem. I just have to drop some more weight. Like I said, i have already lost 20 lbs (not for the military). I will measure myself. I am entering vet school in the fall so I am still years away from active duty but I already had the goal of 129 in mind so I'm going to try to train like I'm going into the corps tomorrow ;)
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

Aside from following all this advice, know that you are entering into a community where physical fitness will be a core value and a source of advancement. If you want to raise in the ranks your personal fitness should be outstanding. Not only will this help in your standing and advancement, but increase your duty options.

Beat me to this point.

The military environment is not tolerant of people who don't say fit. I know a number of people that ended careers over weight and/or fitness not being high enough up on their list of priorities. I would not suggest to anyone to enlist unless they know that long term weight and fitness control is within their grasp.

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

I applaud the Army with acknowledging the need to tape individuals, but only measuring the neck and waist is duummmbbbbbbb

It looks like they are going to do some research to see if there is a better way of determining BF%. I doubt anything will come of it.

http://www.armytimes.com/story/military/careers/army/2016/02/10/sergeant-major-army-order-review-tape-test-response-soldier-complaints/80027440/
  • kshama2001
    edited February 2016
    Options
    rmntrose2 wrote: »
    You only have So much time in your life where you qualify for military service. Don't think on it too long and forever regret not going through that adventure. Its tough, parts of military serve I down right hated. But it made me who I am now and I so glad I pushed through the nerves and out of my comfort zone (oh and get way used to that ) and joined. Take care. Keep your eye on the prize.

This is going through my head now. I am within a couple years of being too old. I could probably get a direct commission based on my degree and my profession. But the husband is not supportive. I am looking at Navy, not Army, but still estimate it would take me a year to get to the weight I would need to so am just focusing on that and physical fitness for now. I suppose a husband has a right to veto that sort of thing, but it does feel like this is an opportunity slipping away. My understanding of the commission programs is you need to be able to pass the tests from day one, so definitely start a running program at some point. Your recruiter should have suggestions, but like others have said, just walk/jog and slowly increase distance and try not to get injured etc.

It's really difficult being a military spouse. If you didn't mention this before getting married and throughout your marriage, I don't think it's far to spring it on your husband now. I'd equate this to having an agreement that you would not have kids and then springing a desire for children on him.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 975 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hi, I am friends with the Vet here in Aviano and it is so worth it. She is a civilian vet here in Aviano, Italy but very fit. The second Vet is Army. It seems like a wonderful career for a Vet. You do so much more than if you were in a private practice. You also get to travel a lot. You take care of military dogs...they are so important and you are a big part of the military community.

I think it is an honor to be a military spouse. It is hard moving so much but at the same time we get to see a lot of the country. I like to travel..not just vacations but live different places. I am thankful of all the people I have met over the years. I think I am very lucky and am very proud of my spouse.
  • stang02
    stang02 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I can only speak from personal experience. But I was in the Marine Corps, so I can only relate with their rigorous fitness standards. I would continue your path since you have seemed to lose weight already by doing what you are doing. But perhaps improve your running (gradually). Also, if you are already teamed up with a recruiter, they'll set you on the right path and help you reach your intended goals. They will have Poolee functions and things like that in order to get you up to speed. Are you going for a commission?
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I remember when I was trying to make weight for the Navy my recruiter gave me some stupid soup diet. It worked but I would never recommend it to anyone. It's temporary and I had less than 10lb to lose. Back then (20+yrs ago) the guidelines were a little different if I recall.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    sanfromny wrote: »
    I remember when I was trying to make weight for the Navy my recruiter gave me some stupid soup diet. It worked but I would never recommend it to anyone. It's temporary and I had less than 10lb to lose. Back then (20+yrs ago) the guidelines were a little different if I recall.

My Air Force recruiter gave me the stupid cabbage soup diet 30 years ago.
  • SFCStank
    SFCStank Posts: 25 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Retired E7. US Army. A couple of questions - Will you be graduating as a licensed Vet? IE. a DVM? or a lower level? If you are going to be a DVM, the military has special programs for personnel of your education level that will completely pay off your loans and You enter into the service as a Major (A field-grade officer). Look into this and don't take anything less no matter what the recruiter tell you. (IE. don't enlist expecting to be transferred over - it won't happen.) But know, there is a large amounts of competition for this since the Army doesn't need that many Vets nowadays.

With that said, PT and physical fitness in support elements as specialized as this are a little different from their combat arms and combat support brethren. The standards are the same but the motivation to achieve max physical performance are different. In other words, they won't stop you from entering if you are slightly over but it may affect your career advancement later on if you do not achieve and maintain the standard.

As for what you can do to get in shape? Simple. Focus on push-ups, sit-ups and running 2 miles in less than 15 mins. If you can pass a PT test and you tape within standards (meaning your body measurements are at an acceptable level) you will be fine.
  • BumbleBreeBuzz
    BumbleBreeBuzz Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    @SFCStank yes i will be entering vet school in the fall and want to try to apply for the health professions scholarship to help pay for school. I plan on going into the Veterinary corps after I get my DVM either way at this point however, even if i don't get the scholarship.