RUNNING...........What's the deal?

amandavictoria80
amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
edited September 28 in Fitness and Exercise
I have been thinking a lot about starting to run. I have never ran before but I am pretty sure that I am in shape enough at this point, from using my elliptical, to last a little while without stopping.

The thing is, I hear tons of bad things about running. The first major thing I hear is that it is terrible on your joints.
I also see runners talking about the expected injuries they endure.

So my question is, what's the deal? Is running good or bad?

Also, how do I get over my fear of running in public. I am just embarrassed by everything the bounces and jiggles. :(

Thanks! :)

Replies

• I love running. I think as long as you don't over do it, you'll be fine. I highly recommend the C25K program (found online / free) to get started. If you do too much too fast, your chances of injury are greatly increased. I say as long as you're moving, it's good! :bigsmile:
  • Sugarchef
    Sugarchef Posts: 319 Member
    As I sit here with shin splints I will tell you that running is one of my favorite exercises. When you have a good run it's feels so freeing, like your legs could take you anywhere! Try it - you just might love it!
  • glenna221
    glenna221 Posts: 46
    running can be one the most effecient ways to burn calories. Try the "couch to 5K program". running is great because it requires only a good pair of running shoes and your body - especially important if you are traveling or don't have access to a gym.
  • Any exercise is GOOD!!!!! :-) and ANY exercise can take a tole on your body! Start out slow and listen to your body. GOOD LUCK!
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    it's totally addicting... get a good training program thought like c25k or something, so you do it right and gradually.
  • journeytoahealthy51
    journeytoahealthy51 Posts: 89 Member
    I am 42 years old, and am doing Couch to 5K. It starts you out slow, so you don't hurt yourself. I think the injuries you hear about are die hard, long distance runners. I am overweight and it totally does not bother my knees. I really do not feel very good all day at this point unless I start my day off with a run! Good luck!
  • yes_i_can
    yes_i_can Posts: 419
    I vote "good". I'm doing my first 5K in a few weeks, and I've loved becoming a runner. You have to ease into it so that you don't end up hurting yourself, and watch what surfaces you're running on, if possible, but there's no reason you can't run without injury. My knees have been sore a couple times, but otherwise, I've had no complaints.

I highly recommend C25K!
  • Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    I think with proper shoes (I use Merrell Barefoots and Vibram Five-Fingers, but I'm not a total barefoot evangelist) it isn't bad for your knees. The problem is, it can be hard to figure out what is right for you. I suffered for years using traditional running shoes before I discovered the barefoot community, and now running feels great and doesn't hurt my knees or shins hardly at all.

All the sites are blocked at work so I can't give you links, but if you Google, "is running bad for knees" you get a ton of runner's world articles and articles from other sites about studies showing it's not. But you have to do what feels right for you of course!

If your interested in trying, start very slow and build up mileage. If you try to start doing too much, you'll hurt yourself quickly.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    It is a great way to burn calories and stress. I would suggest starting slowly ( a couch to 5K program would be great.) and invest in a good pair of running shoes. (around $100 is not a bad investment to save you from pain and injury.) When you start, listen to your body. You will begin to feel the difference between a good muscle ache because you worked hard, vs. a joint or bone pain that suggests you over did it or injuried youself.

Have fun!!
  • LeeLynnP
    LeeLynnP Posts: 116 Member
    LOVE THAT APP!! I just started it!
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    I cant believe I am saying this- but I am starting to enjoy running:noway: I started with the C25K- but I recently saw the C210K and it seems a bit easier to ease into than the C25K. Good Luck:flowerforyou:
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    I'm going to write up a separate thread about running for people who have doubts about their running..

But to answer YOUR question, yes running is for you. It takes time and consistency but you will eventually be able to "Go from Couch to 5K"

Start with the treadmills. My advice is this: set your treadmill to "Manual" for 20 minutes. Do a 10-minute warm-up walk followed by a 10-minute comfortable jog where at the end you're feeling winded but good. Do this a few times a week and eventually you can bump up time/speed. Give it a try and let me know!
  • yes_i_can
    yes_i_can Posts: 419
    I think with proper shoes (I use Merrell Barefoots and Vibram Five-Fingers, but I'm not a total barefoot evangelist) it isn't bad for your knees. The problem is, it can be hard to figure out what is right for you. I suffered for years using traditional running shoes before I discovered the barefoot community, and now running feels great and doesn't hurt my knees or shins hardly at all.

I second the shoe recommendation - the right shoes are definitely important. Go to your local running store and have them analyse your foot, gait, etc. and put you in something that will work for you. :)
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    All I can offer is to make sure you have a good pair of sneakers appropriate for running, and make sure to take the time to stretch before AND after. Before to help get you warmed up, and after will help with soreness.
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    My advice... Get some REALLY GOOD running shoes. Ones that have the 'air cushions' on the heels are the best because they absorb most of the shock.

Start out slow - I use http://www.mapmyrun.com to map out my runs. I started off with a 1 mile track. I walked most of it but I ran as much as I could. I kept this 1 miler up until I could run it w/o stopping. I then plotted a 1.5 then a 2 mile track. I now run 5 miles 3x a week and the days I dont run 5 miles, I run 3 or 4 miles. I plan on stepping it up to 6 miles then 10.

My goal is to run a marathon (26.4 miles!!!! YIKES)
  • bbush18
    bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
    Running is AWESOME! Not only a fantastic way to burn calories but a runner's high is amazing! It's something you can do anywhere and clear your mind. You don't have to be fast and you don't have to go far...and just like any other sport, skill or workout, yeah--you can get hurt. But the thing is...all runners recover and get back on their feet because WE LOVE IT!

On another note...I read somewhere that if your strides are smaller, they allow for a longer running lifetime. Invest in good shoes, watch the terrain you run and STOP when something hurts. :D Good luck and I hope you love it as much as everyone else does that's posted on this thread! :love:
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    The truth about running is that is completely SUCKS.......For the first few weeks... you hurt, your in pain, you feel like you are going to die, my boobs bounced all over the place making my chest hurt, I got winded really really easy, side aches galore, shins felt like someone was taking an ax to them.

Atleast that was my experience.

But after about 3 weeks, your body starts craving it, by then you have learned how to better your form, how to time your breathing, you have finally started seeing progress, you don't feel like someone has dumped acid down your throat, your sides dont feel like you have been stabbed by a knife, and your body doesn't feel like its been jumped by a gang and beat with a two by four.

NOW, I am addicted to it. I run atleast 15 miles a week. My form is great, I don't get winded, I can run without stopping about 4 miles. I don't get shin splints, I don't get side aches etc...

People get hurt when they go all out, don't watch their form, and forget to rest when their muscles are sore... so don't do that and you will be good!
  • Pronoiac
    Pronoiac Posts: 304
    It's a very valid question as there are a lot of opinions out there on the subject. I can tell you from my experience as a coach, and with my own running, I do not believe there is any risk of injury inerently in running. In fact, there is a lot of science coming out in recent years proclaiming it's historically proven benefits and that our bodies are designed for it. There are some common injuries that afflict avid runners, but I those usually happen in conjuction with too narrow a focus on running and not enough 'crosstraining'.

Great suggestions above with C25K and it's related programs for easing into the sport. Also agree that is one of the forms of exercise you can always take with you. For a fun and ergonomic twist expreriment with Vibrams (the toe shoes). Great tool, just move into that type of footwear SLOWLY! Have fun!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,459 Member
    I started running last fall and i LOVE IT! In fact, I went a month without any running due to a broken toe (not running related) and it nearly drove me nuts. As for injury risks, of course there is, there is an injury risk with walking. All you can do is prepare yourself through stretching and other strength exercising.
    I will also say this, I hit a wall in my weight loss until I started running with the C25K program and then dropped another 50+ pounds after that. So it is a great way to burn calories, build endurance and really push yourself!
    As for the jiggles, I learned to disregard them and know that they too would pass!
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    I'm just getting back to running after losing enough weight that it wasn't too much impact on my back, but when I was lighter and running in races up to half marathon, my knees were the best they've been since I've been an adult.
This discussion has been closed.