Need help and support from fellow breastfeeding moms

Options
nwachim
nwachim Posts: 111 Member
edited March 2016 in Getting Started
i am currently breastfeeding my 4month old,i am trying to loose about 45lbs, i had 15lbs i wanted to loose before getting pregnant,gained only 5lbs from pregnancy and the rest i gained post pregnancy.Between not having enough time to plan my meals,sleepless nights, tiredness and breastfeeding ,i am always eating and eating the wrong things.I really need some breastfeeding mama friends that can help keep me motivated and also give me tips on what has helped them.Thanks

Replies

• Watch_Me_Shine416
    Watch_Me_Shine416 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Add me if you'd like! I'm breastfeeding my 10 month old :)
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I'm still breastfeeding my 16 month old. I know how you feel. I was exactly where you are 12 months ago. Honestly, I didn't start really watching my eating until about 2 months ago. I had low milk supply issues with my first and was worried that dieting would cause low milk supply with my second. However, now that I'm looking back on it, I wish I had started a little earlier.

I don't have a lot of advice for you, because I was too overwhelmed at the 4 month stage to do this. But, I can tell you that it will get easier. I would start by just tracking everything you are eating. See where, when and what you are eating. When you have a handle on that, you can make a plan to change.
  • nwachim
    Options
    Add me if you'd like! I'm breastfeeding my 10 month old :)
    thanks,adding right now
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I just weaned my 16 month old, but feel free to add me! BF mama's need all the support they can get!
  • Kittyfeliz
    Kittyfeliz Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm still nursing my almost 2 year old and I did the same thing, had only about 7 lbs to lose to be at my pre-pregnancy weight (and another 10 to my goal weight) and then instead of working on that I gained another 20 lbs. Ugh, so mad at myself. And finding time to exercise and making time to eat right is a whole new ballgame now. Is there a breastfeeding group here? I'd love a place to chat with other new moms.
  • nwachim
    Options
    beckajw wrote: »
    I'm still breastfeeding my 16 month old. I know how you feel. I was exactly where you are 12 months ago. Honestly, I didn't start really watching my eating until about 2 months ago. I had low milk supply issues with my first and was worried that dieting would cause low milk supply with my second. However, now that I'm looking back on it, I wish I had started a little earlier.

I don't have a lot of advice for you, because I was too overwhelmed at the 4 month stage to do this. But, I can tell you that it will get easier. I would start by just tracking everything you are eating. See where, when and what you are eating. When you have a handle on that, you can make a plan to change.
    Thank you,this makes me feel a little better to know someonelse felt overwhelmed at this stage.I am also afraid of hurting my milk supply and it makes it hard for me to figure out how much to eat,i have been going by eat when you are hungry but that isn't helping me loose any weight because I am always hungry.

• nwachim
    Options
    Kittyfeliz wrote: »
    I'm still nursing my almost 2 year old and I did the same thing, had only about 7 lbs to lose to be at my pre-pregnancy weight (and another 10 to my goal weight) and then instead of working on that I gained another 20 lbs. Ugh, so mad at myself. And finding time to exercise and making time to eat right is a whole new ballgame now. Is there a breastfeeding group here? I'd love a place to chat with other new moms.

I don't know that there is,if you find one please let me know.i need all the motivation I can get
  • janetay01
    janetay01 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    We weaned in December when my little boy turned one but I've been where you are right now. I would echo beckajw - start by trying to track what you are eating so that you have a picture of your days (and nights!). And don't be too hard on yourself - 4 months in is still very early and it is overwhelming in so many ways. And you will be hungry - try to get yourself some healthy, filling snacks, that way at least you are eating better nutritionally even if still too much! But again, be easy on yourself- you are doing an amazing thing feeding your little one and you will have time once you wean to get properly back on track.
  • FitnessGirl11mfp
    FitnessGirl11mfp Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. My little guy is almost 2 months old and I am nursing/pumping and trying to lose weight. I've done MFP before and lost 27 lbs, but now it's different considering I need to be cautious not to let my milk supply decrease while still trying to be healthy. Frustrating! Please add me mommas :-)
  • jess_erin
    jess_erin Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm with you momma. I haven't figured it out yet but I'm here for support.
  • jnoyd2012
    jnoyd2012 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am also a breastfeeding mama. My little one is 3 months old right now. I have nursed all 3 of my kids, worked out, and ate healthy the entire time I have nursed. My advice is to eat very clean, nothing in a box or canned. Meal prep once a week for the entire week. That helps with making sure you are eating healthy. If you're hungry snack on high fat foods...avocado, almonds, etc. At meals eat a larger portion of vegetables and a lot of good protein. Drink half your weight of water in ounces. I eat a 1500 calorie diet a day but I also eat all day because I only consume fresh fruit, veggies, healthy fats and good meat. My milk supply has never suffered and I have a very happy healthy baby. I am 9 lbs from what I was pre-pregnancy and I gained 50 lbs total this last time around. Good luck to you I hope this helps.
  • nwachim
    Options
    Thank you mommas,i am already feeling motivated
  • nwachim
    Options
    jnoyd2012 wrote: »
    I am also a breastfeeding mama. My little one is 3 months old right now. I have nursed all 3 of my kids, worked out, and ate healthy the entire time I have nursed. My advice is to eat very clean, nothing in a box or canned. Meal prep once a week for the entire week. That helps with making sure you are eating healthy. If you're hungry snack on high fat foods...avocado, almonds, etc. At meals eat a larger portion of vegetables and a lot of good protein. Drink half your weight of water in ounces. I eat a 1500 calorie diet a day but I also eat all day because I only consume fresh fruit, veggies, healthy fats and good meat. My milk supply has never suffered and I have a very happy healthy baby. I am 9 lbs from what I was pre-pregnancy and I gained 50 lbs total this last time around. Good luck to you I hope this helps.
    wow,good job and great advice. how are you able to be consistent with your workouts with so little time that mama's oflittle children have?i am starting a 30day workout challenge today and I will like to stay consistent and finish it in 30days.
  • janiep81
    janiep81 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Hugs. Be kind to yourself. <3
  • nwachim
    Options
    janiep81 wrote: »
    Hugs. Be kind to yourself. <3

thank you!i need to learn to do that
  • LLT38
    LLT38 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm still nursing my 9 month old. As some of the other moms have said, I didn't consider weight loss when my daughter was only 4 months to maintain her milk supply. I waited until she was 7 months and taking solids regularly. Be patient with yourself - it will get easier. I also agree with others who suggested to only track for now.
  • sabrinashp
    sabrinashp Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just weaned my son a couple months ago and ready to get serious about what I' eating. Somewhere along the way I read that breastfeeding burns approximately 750 calories a day and let that be an excuse way too long to not watch how much food I was taking in. I should have started tracking my intake and getting into the exercise habit when he started eating solids. I would encourage you to use this time, when I was most active (packing and unpacking for a big move) the weight flew off while I was breastfeeding, but when we moved into a smaller place with no stairs and my activity level dropped, I gained it back quicker than I would have thought. At least I've been pretty good about vitamins and stuff like that, I eat well ar meals, it's a bit of quantity and the mindless munchies that gets me. Oh, and eating the kids' leftovers because I don't want it to go to waste. I am getting better at reminding myself it costs more health and weight wise than it's worth and actually throwing some away, but that's been a tough one for me.
  • scriptie
    scriptie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Bfing 8 month old here. Add me! I don't eat the best but you can go ahead and see how/what I do if you want :)
  • kc720
    kc720 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Add me! I have a 3 week old and I just started tracking what I eat just to try to be more concious of things. I'm not really cutting calories though because I want to make sure my supply stays up! I try to stay away from processed foods. My issue is portion control for sure!!
  • wendi488
    wendi488 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am also nursing my 10-month-old and just starting my weight loss journey now. I have about 45 pounds to lose until I am at my prepregnancy weight. I had a lot of trouble with supply issues in the beginning and that's why I didn't try losing weight earlier. I will be getting a fit bit in a couple weeks in hopes that that will also motivate me to stay active. I will need support to stay on track since I have a sweet tooth so if you want to motivate each other please add me.