Fruit and daily sugar intake

Options
I eat quite a bit of fruit. Mainly apples, oranges, berries, and a half a banana in my protein shakes. I always get alerts reminding me of my sugar goals when I log these. Should I be more careful or is it different with the natural sugars in fruit?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason to track sugar, you don't have to worry about this. Many people have switched to tracking something else (like fiber) instead of sugar.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    It's fine, however you want to make sure you're eating enough protein and fruit... My goal is 1900 and I don't eat more than 2 servings of fruit a day.
  • mandietippets
    mandietippets Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    No medical reason to be tracking it :) maybe I'll just turn those alerts off hey always make me feel bad. Lol.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I turned off those hints as soon as MFP gave us the ability to.
  • rockstrong
    rockstrong Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I get the same. I love fruit but I am also pre-diabetic. I believe I'll have to cut back on the fruit and find other things to snack on. 25 grams is the maximum recommended intake. It's not hard to consume that in fruit.
  • Selkie_Runner
    Selkie_Runner Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I probably going over my sugar goal by mid morning. Sugar in fruit is bound with fibre and full of vitamins and minerals. Your blood sugar does not spike as quickly as with refined sugar because of this. Unless you have medical issues don't stress over it. Try not to focus on each individual Macro/Micro and look at your diet as a whole. The Human Race has survived thousands of years without the need to micro manage every element of their diets so try not to get drawn into thie obsession over single elements
  • Cementite
    Cementite Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    rockstrong wrote: »
    I get the same. I love fruit but I am also pre-diabetic. I believe I'll have to cut back on the fruit and find other things to snack on. 25 grams is the maximum recommended intake. It's not hard to consume that in fruit.

The maximum recommended intake by the WHO is only for added sugars. Natural sugars in fruit and milk don't count for this recommendation.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I don't even track sugar . I worry about my calories and my macros. Sugar is not the enemy( Unless you have a medical issue that warrants you to track sugar)
  • mandietippets
    mandietippets Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I probably going over my sugar goal by mid morning. Sugar in fruit is bound with fibre and full of vitamins and minerals. Your blood sugar does not spike as quickly as with refined sugar because of this. Unless you have medical issues don't stress over it. Try not to focus on each individual Macro/Micro and look at your diet as a whole. The Human Race has survived thousands of years without the need to micro manage every element of their diets so try not to get drawn into thie obsession over single elements

Good point and I'm probably over my sugar limit by lunch as well. I'm trying to focus on this being a lifestyle change versus a diet and this helps me to do so and not feel like I am starving myself! Thanks everyone for your input!
  • jcorl0913
    jcorl0913 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I don't count fruits as sugars.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Berries are really the only choice for Fruit, and in small quantities. Stick to Veggies, greener are better.