Fibromyalgia/ Chronic Pain And Exercise

Options
2»

Replies

• phys72
    phys72 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Today is a bad day and I need some encouragement. I have walked an agonizing 764 steps so far today and just want to cry. My pain killers aren't taking the edge off. When I hurt I want to use food to numb the pain.

:-( Big hugs to you! Can you make yourself a cup of tea, wrap yourself in a cozy blanket, and relax with a book/movie (something that will distract you from the pain?). Hang in there. I too comfort myself with food. Maybe try to find comforting foods that won't be a huge calorie explosion (hot tea, warm soup, etc).
  • cyndit1
    cyndit1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have RA and SLE and also am a distance runner and avid lifter. I have my diseases really well managed with medication and have a very supportive Rheumy as well. For me, not being able to exercise would cause more mental issues than dealing with the daily discomforts. It has taken me a long time to build up to the level of activity I enjoy now but consistency was the key as well as really listening to my body and understanding the difference between workout sore and RA/Lupus pain. There is a difference and at this stage I can usually tell.
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have fibro, endometriosis, underactive thyroid and diabetes. I used to be in pain for every second of every day. Now 84lbs down and managing to run 5k. It's slow but hey, it's running and good enough for me. I still have some pain points, but it's manageable.

I started by slow walking, building up how far I could go on a weekly basis. I didn't start running until I hit a weight I could walk for a mile with almost no pain. It took months. I worried about my hips. On a day I walked a lot, I rested the next and just did the usual housey stuff apart from work.

Last year, I never thought I'd be able to run 100 steps, let alone for nearly an hour. It hasn't been easy but I cleared it with my GP and went for it.

It's not for everyone, but I'm glad I've got this far. Good luck with what you achieve. Every little step is a positive, however we get there.
  • btinghutch
    btinghutch Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I walk on my treadmill, do yoga, use a foam roller to gently strengthen my body... I take epsom salt soaks & do liver cleanses regularly to flush toxins... I go tanning at least once a month to boost my Vitamin D- my body doesn't store it properly... I make sure I eat at least 1000 calories Before I work out & I make sure I eat Enough calories... I take bioavailable vitamins daily... I've also found a great acupuncturist that does multiple treatments in each session & everytime I have a session, my pain drops drastically for a few days longer than the last session (meaning, after a session I'm currently going almost 2 weeks with about a 3rd of the pain I had before a session)...

I do this as well! :)
    I have a major heat intolerance, I've had Multiple Sclerosis for 10 years. I've been pretty severely disabled twice. I have a very positive outlook on fitness and diet, simply because if I do not do it?..I'm sick, depressed and in a whole lot more pain. Last year I took pain meds and gained 25lbs. I weened off of them, dragged myself to the gym, and haven't looked back.
    I still have horrible fatigue, I get cold for no reason and can't warm up,, my feet and left arm are partly numb and I can't see well sometimes. Fitness helped my balance, my tolerance to heat and defeats depression and anxiety. Strengthening my muscles helps with spasms and muscle deterioration from the disease.

I can only say positive things about making a choice to just MOVE ;) it is always a balancing act when you have a chronic illness, when to move, when to give up and rest, and when to get up again!. Some days the pain or fatigue is so bad, I fight with myself to stay in bed, and on those days I give in and rest, but the days I can do anything at all, I do it or I know I will feel so much worse.

My advice to anyone is to start small. I could barely put one foot in front of the other,,I was on a walker and a cane and still went to the gym, even if I could only pedal or walk for 2 minutes. Just being around other people was stimulating and motivated me to keep moving. I tan (with sunscreen on) 2 times a week for vitamin D, and just overall well being, and I can now tolerate higher temps for a bit longer. Every day got better and better and I move every day. Every day I wake up, I'm so thankful I can move my legs, I MOVE em!