Couch to 10 Mile in October?

Options
Hi all, I've lost about 40lbs since Feb - been walking up to 15min miles and gotten up to 10 mile walks. I've started the c25k and am on week 5 - 8 min run, 5 min walk, 8 min run (but it's not 5k distance?)

This morning, I ran 2 Miles for the first time, without stopping (21 min).

Question is - I'm signed up to do the Army 10 Mile run in Washington DC - Pentagon around the capitol and back.

I need to train for this, I suppose, to be able to finish. The requirement is to hit 1/2 way within 90 minutes. I can do this walking - but I'd like to do it running ;)

I'm using c25k and Runkeeper Pro on my Android phone - I see that runkeeper has a training program. Should I give up on c25k and go with the runkeeper training schedule - or are there some others that I can go with? I have 4 weeks left on the c25k (it's 9 weeks right?).

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You can already run two miles. Next time try to run three miles without stopping. I am sure you can do it.

If you can run the three miles then you have reached the goal of C25K and are ready to move on to another training program.
  • kimbaface
    kimbaface Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Most training programs have you do the same basic workout throught the week with a longer run on the weekend, adding one mile a week (with occassionally not adding any) and reaching your goal miles 2-3 weeks before the event and tapering back. You certainly have enough time to build up to 10 miles by October. I used to train with Hal Higdon's race plans. I would look for that online.