Chronic Pain sufferer here, dropped 30lbs ( want to lose another 77 lbs.) need advice & friendship?

Options
Hello, I'm doing good on dropping some weight here, some days good, some days off, been able to stick to my calorie of 1200

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    good job, i have an autoimmune and have good days and bad days. i exercise most days so i can eat more food.
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I have chronic pain due to arthritis. I have lost over 80lbs I will sens you a request.
  • JessicaLThomas76
    JessicaLThomas76 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia and was just diagnosed with sclerosis of the sciatic joint and have been making continual changes to both my eating habits and exercise. I have found that eliminating (most) sugars, proportion control, and no eating after 7pm really help with losing weight.
    If you would like a MFP buddy to help with motivation and tips, send me a request.
  • Juanivinaz
    Juanivinaz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I really would love to Friend you! Thank you!! I need help with figuring out how to control let's help each other
  • Marillian
    Marillian Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    I, too, have chronic pain. Fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis in almost every joint, bone-on-bone in knees, shoulder tear. There are days (most) when just getting out of bed exhausts me. By the time I shower, get ready for work and have breakfast, I am utterly exhausted. I am a "comfort" eater. There are days when the pain is bearable, and days that are off the charts. When I am in a great deal of pain, I tend to eat more to comfort me. I have to lose another 125 pounds to get to a healthy weight.

A big issue is I don't want to exercise because it worsens the pain. Yes, I know the adage that exercise is supposed to help with pain, but it doesn't in my case. I do go to the gym and use the warm water therapy pool. That's about all I can tolerate.

Good luck in your journey.
  • southbaysonia
    southbaysonia Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Can relate to Marillian. I have chronic back (SI) pain and fell over a little dog in early Dec. and messed up my knee. I can't face the physio - it's humiliating to have a young, thin, perky blonde massage my bum. I just can't do it. I exercise one day and am in too much pain the next. I'm trying for less calories vs exercise - for now. Optimistic that some weight loss thru dieting will make it easier to exercise. Feel stupid writing this. Am I just kidding myself? My dr said it is almost impossible for a woman over 50 to lose weight...
  • quietblue08
    quietblue08 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I have a lot of weight to lose! I suffer from thyroid, RA, anxiety, depression and chronic pain. I'd love some friends that can relate to me so please feel free to add me
  • desiresdestiny
    desiresdestiny Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Add me. I have Ankylosing spondiltitis and tmj.
  • slimbyoctober
    slimbyoctober Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Anyone on here with IBS?
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Can relate to Marillian. I have chronic back (SI) pain and fell over a little dog in early Dec. and messed up my knee. I can't face the physio - it's humiliating to have a young, thin, perky blonde massage my bum. I just can't do it. I exercise one day and am in too much pain the next. I'm trying for less calories vs exercise - for now. Optimistic that some weight loss thru dieting will make it easier to exercise. Feel stupid writing this. Am I just kidding myself? My dr said it is almost impossible for a woman over 50 to lose weight...

I'm 61 and have lost 25 pounds. I exercise 30 min in the morning before work 4-5 days a week. You CAN lose weight over 50!!

• Juanivinaz
    Options
    chulipa wrote: »
    I have chronic pain due to arthritis. I have lost over 80lbs I will sens you a request.

• Juanivinaz
    Options
    Chulipa, thank you, I too have osteoarthritis, rheumatism, diagnosed along with Fibromyalgia, today I woke up in pain all over again. Even the bottom soles of my feet hurt, can't walk...
    Do you have any remedies to ease the pain some? I still was able to drop another pound today hoping that dropping all this weight is going to help me too
  • tlmerkel75
    tlmerkel75 Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Firstly, thank you for this thread.
    I have Sarcoidosis in the lymph nodes in my lungs. It causes fatigue and random breathing attacks. My work got really busy in November and I had multiple attacks that really sidelined me. Prior to that, I was doing alright....slow and steady weight loss.
    Now I'm pretty much back to square one. I had been angry, frustrated and disappointed with myself...but I had to get over it and move forward. This is only my second day of starting over, so I'm still pretty motivated.
  • Sweepypie
    Sweepypie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have chronic pain, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, angina, high blood pressure! I have lost 33lbs and I want to lose another 50+lbs! You can add me!
  • 1daatatime
    1daatatime Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I suffer chronic pain too, m.e , thyroid and various other stuff add me
  • Sweepypie
    Sweepypie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »

I'm 61 and have lost 25 pounds. I exercise 30 min in the morning before work 4-5 days a week. You CAN lose weight over 50!!

I am 67 and have chronic pain! Osteoarthritis, Rheumatoid arthritis and a few other ailments. I have lost weight but find it difficult to get about!
  • lili200
    lili200 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Me too!!!
    First finding the right diet by nutrition who knows about your specific problem
    Then find the right sport in baby steps.
    A year and a half ago , I could have done 20 min of yoga or 10 min of walk. After that I had to lie down( yes, in the yoga class infront of everyone!!) felt sissy and in pain
    Today, after so many baby step, and sometimes back and forth I do 4-5 classes a week and also elliptical
    Once a week
    One of the big changes was step watch I bought
    Really help
    And write a big note to yourself ;
    Every step matters!
    2 steps better then one
    Tommorow is a new day
    If you can't do 15 min today, do 10, or 5 or 2.
  • dresha41
    dresha41 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I also have a chronic pain illness called fibromyalgia, along with other health problems I was dianogsed, after having continuous pain and not understanding why it was hard for me to get off the floor in my classroom at work and being constant pain all the time. I have fought with my weight for years, not knowing where to start and being given the wrong information by nutrition in the clinic. I have been eating clean for three months and have lost 11pounds so far and yes it does take baby steps to complete a goal. I am here for support as well.
  • moe2five
    moe2five Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have pseudotumor cerebri. Losing weight is a MUST for me because I'm hoping it puts me back in remission. I never had constant migraines til I gained weight :( now I have them 5 out of 7 days per week. My 2 year old was born with cardiac issues and the women of my family end up developing heart issues by their 50's so I REALLY need to shed excess belly fat to reduce my heart risks. Lots of motivation....yet I tend to just pick up a bag of chips or cookies instead of getting off my butt. That ends now!!

I wish you much luck in getting the weight off and I pray for a pain free (other than exercise pain which is a good thing) future.
  • elleT31
    elleT31 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 47 with fibro diagnosed in teens, always dealt with chronic pain. Add an accident, multiple back surgeries and needing a knee replacement soon, early menopause..I'm a mess I guess. Lol. Found the pain meds packed in weight quickly, and didn't like the mind and body numbing that accompanied it.

Switched to an anti inflammatory diet, herbs and eo's, doing much better pain-wise than presc meds. And I walk, a lot! Light weights only a couple times a week if feeling good, and of course stretching, pt, some modified yoga and tai-chi. I just won't do anything to heavy or exhausting when I'm having issues, I walk.

Have lost a total of 80, 40 or 50 to go. Progress has slowed, but I'm making lifestyle choices that keep me as mobile and healthy as possible. Listen to your body, don't listen to the negative mind :) if I'm hurting I walk, maybe not 8-15 but even if it is 3-5 I know I'm doing my body good in the long run. And stick with clean eating as much as possible, even if I keep the calories in check, empty carbs will stop or add weight. Sugar and processed foods cause more pain. Took a lifetime to figure this much out, and I'm still working it. Don't beat yourself up, ever, and1% increments in the right direction add up and become habits. Jumping on and off fads are a recipe for disaster. Wishing you the best :)