The best running shoes??

Options
I have Newton's now but am thinking about the Vibram five fingers?? What's everyones take on the best running shoes??

Replies

• kimbaface
    kimbaface Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I used to be a runner and have ran several marathons. The best running shoes are the best ones for you - based on foot shape, weight, gait. (For me that's Asics brand.) I don't know where you live but the best thing you can do is get to a running store where they watch you walk and let you try out several shoes by running up and down the sidewalk outside.
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    i over pronate so a high stabiltiy shock absorbing shoe is a must or i get chin splints and hip pain.. i have aasics and new ballance i like them both but the new balance have more cushion. i went to our local running store and had my gait analyzed and they recomended the best shoe for me.
  • runslikeagirl
    runslikeagirl Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I went to the Starting Block and got gaited.. they told me I was Neutral... whatever that means... That is why I got the Newtons!
  • wjewell
    wjewell Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I wore pumas and nikes for a while.. I just bought rebok flex and I LOVE them. they work wonders for me. They're very light, they move with you, and the material lets air in as you run.
  • kobzal
    kobzal Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about getting a pair of Newton's as my next running shoe.

For me, my favorite is Brooks Adrenaline. This is the shoe I always come back to after trying new balance, sauconny, nike, mizuno... Everyone is different however. A lot of the people in the group I run with wear Mizuno. When I tried a pair, they were the worst shoes I've ever had. They tore up my feet and I gave them away after 100 miles. I am still pretty angry at the supposedly knowledgable person who recommended those to me at the running store.
  • oldscratch
    oldscratch Posts: 146
    Options
    I used to be a runner and have ran several marathons. The best running shoes are the best ones for you - based on foot shape, weight, gait. (For me that's Asics brand.) I don't know where you live but the best thing you can do is get to a running store where they watch you walk and let you try out several shoes by running up and down the sidewalk outside.

great answer. i love asics too
  • Rebjones612
    Rebjones612 Posts: 408
    Options
    I use
    Brooks.
    I absolutely love them.
    I used to have problems with my shin spints, but
    since wearing my Brooks they dont bother me.
  • jennytaffe
    jennytaffe Posts: 15
    Options
    I was suggested the Nike Free's by my doctor. I was having knee and join pain from running and it was because I was running with Nike Shocks. I switched to the free's and haven't had a problem since. They are light as air and feel great. I'd recommend them to anyone!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    i tried on a bunch and picked up adidias Snova on Saturday. they felt the best for me.
  • noely1974
    noely1974 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I treated myself to a pair of adidas adistar ride 3 . They have more cushioning on the heel than the front of the foot so i feel support when i land but don't lose power when i push off. I think all running styles are helped by different types of trainers and at our gym they run a test on you to see which is best (then offer to sell you the trainers haha) maybe there is something like that near you!
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, it depends on your needs as a runner. So far I only shop with New Balance because their customer service is unparalleled and they help me find the perfect shoe for me ONLINE. I've never had a better online experience with any other company before (for anything!).

Right now I'm sporting the NB 1225's. I have a problem with overpronation with running so I purchased a shoe (with help from NB representatives) to get me the best possible running shoe. It was well worth my money!
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I wear Saucony Grid Hurricanes because they are made for "Clydesdale" runners. I love them.
  • wildeone4
    wildeone4 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE my vibram five fingers! They are amazing!!!
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I *love* my vibram five finger sprints. I've been "wunning" 5 days a week in them. They are wonderful.

Sometimes I think it's a shame no one mentions them since they aren't that well known, but I don't want to be the person throwing what I love in other people's faces... but since you brought it up. I do Love them :D

I have lots of friends who run and wear them too (here in germany), and friends of mine ( one of whom is a chiropractor.) have a website to bring them to Europe (but I wont post it since I don't work for them, just love the shoes)
  • Tiffani3089
    Tiffani3089 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You should go to a local running store and check out what works best for your feet. I have a really high arch so I use asics and they are amazing and provide the support I need.
  • yes_i_can
    yes_i_can Posts: 419
    Options

Perfect answer! I wear Pearl Izumi synchroFloats, but only because that's what they put me in at the running store after lots of analysis and trying of about 8 different shoes.
  • jagfan
    jagfan Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I need an extremely supportive shoe based on my gait and my high arch. I have Asics GT 2160 which the local running store suggested for me. When I went to get a new pair of shoes, I just bought the exact same shoe, except for the color!
  • Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I was suggested the Nike Free's by my doctor. I was having knee and join pain from running and it was because I was running with Nike Shocks. I switched to the free's and haven't had a problem since. They are light as air and feel great. I'd recommend them to anyone!

Do you wear a specific sock with these shoes? My husband got me these without me trying them first and I get blisters and shin splints everytime
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I have the nike free's and i LOVEEEEE them no ankle pain, which i have chronically had. I recently got new insoles however because it has been well over 500 miles (trying to hold out until my bday!) and i have been slightly over training and was getting shin splints. I would like to get another pair of nike frees, but i think i am gonna front the cash to get a gait analysis because everyones foot and running stride is sooooo different.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I run in both Vibram KSOs and Inov8 Road-X Lite 155s. I like them both. Never going to run another inch in a more traditional type of running shoe.