Homemade yogurt ?

Options
FitnessGirl11mfp
FitnessGirl11mfp Posts: 232 Member
Does anyone have any recipes for homemade yogurt and how would I know the serving size and calories in order to log it ?
I have a ton of leftover milk and I thought yogurt might be a good way of using it up.

Replies

• lcardona4543
    lcardona4543 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I bought a yogurt maker and followed the recipes included with the maker. I tried makimgg it before in a crock pot. Epic fail. I like plain and add fresh fruit to reduce the sugars.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    This will give you the proportions.

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-yogurt-at-home-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-125070

I set the milk yogurt mixture in mason jars set in a cooler where I had also put a cup of boiling water - warm and moist. I left it overnight.

Expect the home made to be thinner. You may try straining it through cheesecloth.
  • FitnessGirl11mfp
    Options
    I bought a yogurt maker and followed the recipes included with the maker. I tried makimgg it before in a crock pot. Epic fail. I like plain and add fresh fruit to reduce the sugars.

Thank you so much! I'll have to buy one and give it a try :-)
  • FitnessGirl11mfp
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    This will give you the proportions.

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-yogurt-at-home-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-125070

I set the milk yogurt mixture in mason jars set in a cooler where I had also put a cup of boiling water - warm and moist. I left it overnight.

Expect the home made to be thinner. You may try straining it through cheesecloth.

Ok thank you! I'll try it out and see if it's a success :-)
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to make homemade Greek yogurt ever since I bought my slow cooker! It seems way to easy to be true, but the ingredients are basically just a gallon of milk and some yogurt to start the process! Anyone have any tips or experience making fat free Greek yogurt in a slow cooker?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I've heard if you want a thicker yogurt to add some powdered milk to it but I've not tried it yet.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,942 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I know someone who makes yogurt from yogurt and milk but I'm not sure what to do just from milk. With yogurt and milk I think he "bakes" it overnight at like 110F in the oven. something like that. Use plain yogurt, add flavour after. Every time you make it, use new yogurt from the store, don't keep using your homemade stuff over and over. Its a food safety/bacteria culture control thing.
  • JeimyLyn
    JeimyLyn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I used to make homemade yogurt in the crockpot, but if you don't get the timing right, it can end up a really weird texture (like stringy and elastic!). I ended up getting a Dash Greek Yogurt Maker on Groupon. It's a lot easier. The only thing that makes it Greek is straining it, so the yogurt maker comes with a strainer. The why that gets strained out can be added to a lot of things for extra protein but I could never really peg down what the calorie content is though.

One of the why recipes I really liked was this whey lemonade where you just mix the whey with some water, lemon juice and stevia. It sounds weird and was a little weird at first, but I ended up drinking it all the time!
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    mockchoc wrote: »
    I've heard if you want a thicker yogurt to add some powdered milk to it but I've not tried it yet.

I did this over the weekend, and I can say that it makes the taste a little off to me. My best friend adds gelatin to hers to thicken. I'll be trying that once I get my bulk order later in the month.

I added the milk powder to the cold milk then heated the milk to 180F, then let it cool to about 110F. I then ladled out a cup or two of the milk and whisked in 1/2 cup of plain yogurt, and then poured it back into the pan of milk. That was all mixed up and then ladled into mason jars. I had preheated my oven on the "warm" setting while the milk was heating so it wasn't cold when I put the mason jars in. I turned on the oven light and left it for about 9 hours and it was fine when I got up. :)

ETA: I just put everything into the recipe builder and knowing how many ounces of yogurt I had (mason jars are handy like that) I set a serving size at 1oz.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I make home made yogurt from skimmed or whole milk

Its easy and for thicker or greek yogurt just drain off more whey.

Its simple.
    I use

2000 gram of skimmed milk
    100 gram of Nonfat yogurt. ( starter)

1. Warm your desired milk to 160-180F
    2. Take it of the burner and let it cool down till about 110F
    3. Put your starter( yogurt) in it ( i use 100 gram Nonfat yogurt WITH LIFE ACTIVE CULTURES) tHE CULTURES PART IS not OPTIONAL YOU NEED THOSE!
    4.Wrap a towel around your pan and put it in the oven with the pilot light on for 8 to 12 hours. You dont have to do the oven on. ( i preheated the oven for just 30 seconds)
    5. Take it out and drain it ( with a cheese cloth) The longer you drain it the thicker your yogurt. Every 246 gram whey you drain is 59 calories less of your finished batch of yogurt.
    6. Put it for 12 hours in the fridge before you eat it. ( i do the draining in the fridge).
    7. And ready is your batch ( Greek) yogurt. You take the amount of calories of your milk. And subtract the amount of calories of the whey you drained off.

And walla fresh homemade yogurt which cost not even half the price of store bought yogurt. I make from a gallon milk about two tubs of yogurt. About 1000 gram. I make sure i drain off around 1000 gram of whey. Any that is drained of to much i mix back in the yogurt.

Be aware you can save some of this batch to make a new starter again. But you can only do this a couple of times. I prefer the buy my starters.
    Never use a "flavored" starter. And always use a starter with life/active cultures. Dont use ultra pasteurized milk.

The temperature and the time of culturing in the oven will decide how sour it will become. The draining off liquid ( whey) how thick it will be.

95069916.png
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Natural yogurts are typically very close in calories per volume to the milk that was used to create them, so 200 ml of the yogurt would have about the same calories as 200 ml of the origin milk.

I don't have any particular recipe since we always do the very basic and traditional kind: heat milk, let cool to the point where it won't kill the bacteria, add previously made yogurt, stir, bundle in a bunch of heavy blankets and leave overnight. For greek yogurt, put in a multi-layer cheesecloth and hang somewhere with an empty bowl below it to catch the whey until it reaches the desired consistency. Knead salt into it to taste (we eat traditionally plain savory greek yogurt, the sweet stuff is very uncommon)
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    Options
    Natural yogurts are typically very close in calories per volume to the milk that was used to create them, so 200 ml of the yogurt would have about the same calories as 200 ml of the origin milk.

I don't have any particular recipe since we always do the very basic and traditional kind: heat milk, let cool to the point where it won't kill the bacteria, add previously made yogurt, stir, bundle in a bunch of heavy blankets and leave overnight. For greek yogurt, put in a multi-layer cheesecloth and hang somewhere with an empty bowl under it until it reaches the desired consistency. Knead salt into it to taste (we eat traditionally plain savory greek yogurt, the sweet stuff is very uncommon)

Seems to be not true
    When you drain of the whye ( protein) that is for every gram 4 calories less. ( Whey is loaded with the proteins)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

I don't have any particular recipe since we always do the very basic and traditional kind: heat milk, let cool to the point where it won't kill the bacteria, add previously made yogurt, stir, bundle in a bunch of heavy blankets and leave overnight. For greek yogurt, put in a multi-layer cheesecloth and hang somewhere with an empty bowl under it until it reaches the desired consistency. Knead salt into it to taste (we eat traditionally plain savory greek yogurt, the sweet stuff is very uncommon)

Seems to be not true
    When you drain of the whye ( protein) that is for every gram 4 calories less. ( Whey is loaded with the proteins)

I meant the plain yogurt, not the drained (greek). I apologize for not making myself clear. To know the exact calories all you need to do is weigh the drained yogurt and the resulting whey then subtract the calories using the "acid whey" entry.

example:
    You used 1000 grams of milk+starter yogurt: 600 calories
    It resulted in 500 grams of drained yogurt and 500 grams of whey.
    500 grams of whey has 120 calories.
    This means 500 grams of drained yogurt has: 600 (milk calories) - 120 (whey calories) = 480 calories, or 96 calories per 100 gram.

Of course these amounts are hypothetical for ease of calculations, you typically lose more or less whey than that, depending how hard you want your drained yogurt.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    Options

Seems to be not true

I meant the plain yogurt, not the drained (greek). I apologize for not making myself clear. To know the exact calories all you need to do is weigh the drained yogurt and the resulting whey then subtract the calories using the "acid whey" entry.

example:
    You used 1000 grams of milk+starter yogurt: 600 calories
    It resulted in 500 grams of drained yogurt and 500 grams of whey.
    500 grams of whey has 120 calories.
    This means 500 grams of drained yogurt has: 600 (milk calories) - 120 (whey calories) = 480 calories, or 96 calories per 100 gram.

Of course these amounts are hypothetical for ease of calculations, you typically lose more or less whey than that, depending how hard you want your drained yogurt.

Indeed when you drained anything off it is the same :)
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    edited March 2016
    Options
    [/quote]
    Of course these amounts are hypothetical for ease of calculations, you typically lose more or less whey than that, depending how hard you want your drained yogurt. [/quote]

This is why i always take 2000 gram of milk and make sure i mix back to a 1000 gram total left ( greek) yogurt.

• FitnessGirl11mfp
    Options
    Wow! Thanks everyone!!! :-)
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Be careful! Making yoghurt is a slippery slope to wanting to make ALL THE CHEESE! Soon you'll start making mozzarella as a party trick. Yes, I'm speaking from experience...
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    Options
    trjjoy wrote: »
    Be careful! Making yoghurt is a slippery slope to wanting to make ALL THE CHEESE! Soon you'll start making mozzarella as a party trick. Yes, I'm speaking from experience...

whispers....too late
    mozerella
    sour cream
    fresh cheese
    butter and buttermilk

sighs
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    You don't need a yogurt maker, I used a heating pad and wrapped my quart jars with the yogurt mix in kitchen towlels, place on heating pad on med and put a large pot over them.
  • rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any recipes for homemade yogurt and how would I know the serving size and calories in order to log it ?
    I have a ton of leftover milk and I thought yogurt might be a good way of using it up.

Ive made it in the crock pot many times. Homemade is definitely thinner and the lower the fat content the thinner it is. You can add unflavored geletain if this bothers you. Also, expect it to take 10 hours or so to "set up" ( the final step).
    There are excellent instructions on Pinterest.