Recomp Advice, getting very close to my goal weight and looking for some guidance on where to begin!

Hello! I am 4'11 and currently weighing in at 102.6 with my goal range set at 97-100 lbs. I lost the weight eating between 1000 and 1300 calories a day over about 8-9 months and living a pretty sedentary lifestyle so very predictably as I've gotten much smaller, weight loss moves very slowly.

My original plan was to wait until I was solidly into my goal range to begin the recomp. process, knowing that I might gain some fat back in the process of figuring out what my actual maintenance level is and with some accidental bulking (?), but considering how slow things are moving at this point, would there be a benefit to beginning the recomp now but eating at a slight deficit still? I suppose I'm a bit confused as to how it all works and when I switch over exactly what I should be eating. My goal macros are currently 40% carbs/25%fat/35%protein...I don't always hit that much protein but I try to.

As it stands my TDEE is about 1325kcal (according to various calculators and observation of when I lose weight vs. when I maintain).

I am a complete beginner to formal weightlifting. I took a few body pump classes a couple months ago and didn't mind them but there wasn't a huge focus on form and because it was high # reps/low weight it almost felt more like cardio than lifting. I am looking to eventually adopt a very simple plan that I can do 3 times a week. I am a full time med student and don't have a lot of extra mental space for planning workouts right now haha., but I do have access to a gym. I have heard good things about StrongLifts, is there anything else that you would recommend as a better fit?

So, should I start recomp now? Wait until I hit goal and just buckle down on the calorie deficit and weighing/logging? Eat back calories? Not eat back calories?

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Hi:
    I suggest you read MFP "Most Helpful Post" at the beginning of this message board.
    Here is a link
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300324/most-helpful-posts-goal-maintaining-weight-must-reads#latest
    You will find a very good thread on Recomposition
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Start lifting weights now - eating at a small deficit with adequate protein until you reach your goal weight. Since you are new to weightlifting pick a full body program and run it 3 times a week with a rest day in between the workouts.

Stronglifts is a very simple progarm and would probably be perfect for your needs: http://stronglifts.com/5x5/ Work on perfecting your form before you start adding weights.

Are you sure your TDEE is 1325? That sounds like a BMR number. I am 5'0" and 100ish pounds. I am pretty active and my TDEE is 2000 but I am also a lot older than you. You might find that you can eat a little more once you are working out. It may just take a little experimenting to find a number that works for you.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    bioklutz wrote: »
    Start lifting weights now - eating at a small deficit with adequate protein until you reach your goal weight. Since you are new to weightlifting pick a full body program and run it 3 times a week with a rest day in between the workouts.

Stronglifts is a very simple progarm and would probably be perfect for your needs: http://stronglifts.com/5x5/ Work on perfecting your form before you start adding weights.

Are you sure your TDEE is 1325? That sounds like a BMR number. I am 5'0" and 100ish pounds. I am pretty active and my TDEE is 2000 but I am also a lot older than you. You might find that you can eat a little more once you are working out. It may just take a little experimenting to find a number that works for you.

+ 1
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    bioklutz wrote: »

+2

I am 5'3" 110 pounds and I easily eat 2000 calories without gaining an ounce. What I do like to do is cycle my calories, so if I am not working out that day I don't eat as much as the days I lift.

Stronglifts is good, as is The New Rules of Lifting, as far as beginner programs go. Be progressive with your approach. Good luck!
  • hev481
    hev481 Posts: 45 Member
    Thank you all for your recommendations! Definitely looking to start this weekend and will take a look at The New Rules of Lifting and compare to see whether it vs Strong Lifts is a better match!

I will definitely increase my intake on days that I'm lifting, and for sure protein, and see where it gets me --> aiming for a small deficit. Since I'm currently eating 1100-1200, I will start at 1500 and increase/decrease from there as needed!
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    What kind of deficit are you eating at right now? I ask because as someone who started at 1.5 per week, then dropped to 1, now at 0.5 that it takes a while to learn how to eat more calories on a regular basis. I'm still figuring it out 2 weeks into 0.5.
  • ginalove1960
    ginalove1960 Posts: 60 Member
    Don't eat back calories til you are at your goal weight. When I get there, start eating them back.
  • sglanville81
    sglanville81 Posts: 5 Member
    Hi All, I'm 111lbs 5ft 2inchs with a BMI of 20.2. I am probably what I call skinny fat, and not happy with my very pear shaped hips. My question do I continue to drop pounds or should I start recomp? Have included a photo to help 5hb6r3x7hhpn.jpg
  • hev481
    hev481 Posts: 45 Member
    Hi All, I'm 111lbs 5ft 2inchs with a BMI of 20.2. I am probably what I call skinny fat, and not happy with my very pear shaped hips. My question do I continue to drop pounds or should I start recomp? Have included a photo to help 5hb6r3x7hhpn.jpg

A lot of hip width is genetic and determined by your bones. Additionally, as a female, estrogen naturally tends to encourage fat storage around the hip area even when there is loss just about everywhere else. I would say start to recomp! It will definitely improve your appearance by firming the area and giving shape to the rest of your body to balance out your hips. However, it is important to have realistic expectations and know that no amount of exercise will narrow your hips beyond the width of your skeletal frame.