Running 2- 3 times a week but gaining weight

Options
2»

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    KittyS1986 wrote: »
    I am on my feet all day as I work with small children so I have a fairly active job. I try and stay away from salty foods and bread as my body doesnt like them. No its a gradual gain and it isnt time of the month.

How many small children?
  • Txgal555
    Txgal555 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've found the same thing happening to me. I lost a lot when I started training, now as my body has adapted, I'm slowly gaining weight, though I'm logging and eating a deficit.

The advice my doctor gave to me (was seeing her for something unrelated to weight but I mentioned it) was to take a break from the scales, but concentrate on measurements - waist, hips, thighs, etc. I'm definitely seeing a difference in centimetres lost, especially from "bad" fat places (tummy) and her attitude was that this is just as significant as weight loss.
    She also recommended upping my water intake significantly - running is dehydrating and you don't always drink back your fluid deficit afterwards. Dehydration will impact on your body's ability to metabolise energy and digest effectively.

Weight loss is not as straightforwards as CICO - the body is a black box which consumes energy in different ways and with different levels of efficiency. I found that, after a 3 week plateau/marginal weight gain, suddenly everything came together - run speed improved, run efficiency and technique improved, weight came off, centimetres came off, etc. You might find the same thing too.

Very well said
  • KittyS1986
    KittyS1986 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all those helpful ideas I will definatly check and double check everything.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Oh - random though (and still don't know how long you've been running, unless I missed it. Medication can mess with you, too - any new meds (don't tell us)?
  • KittyS1986
    KittyS1986 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi Ive been running about one month after having a break. No new medication
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    If it's just 1-2 lbs and you are weighing/measuring all your food, I would guess water retention the most likely culprit. Like BeYouTiful94 said, when you start a new exercise (especially running or lifting) your muscles start hanging on to water in order to repair themselves. Sounds like you did lose weight in Feb, just less than you wanted. I'd also make sure you aren't overestimating how much you burn from running if you are eating exercise calories back. Or only eat back half of what MFP/Runkeeper might give you. I find MFP to be pretty inflated for my runs, but that's just personal experience. I don't actually run as fast as any of the normal running entries on MFP.
  • amy1810
    amy1810 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    In my personal experience thos is actually a common distance runners problem.
    I found when i was running upto 30km per day my belly actually started looking and feeling softer. The problem is your body begins to adjust and adapt to repetitive exercise as it expects it.
    I found mixing in HIIT workouts and strength training as well shorter HARD hilly 5kms did the trick. Within a week the abdominal changes were visible and i even lost 1kg unintentionally.
    If you are eating properly i would recommend changing up your workout schedule
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    amy1810 wrote: »
    In my personal experience thos is actually a common distance runners problem.
    I found when i was running upto 30km per day my belly actually started looking and feeling softer. The problem is your body begins to adjust and adapt to repetitive exercise as it expects it.
    I found mixing in HIIT workouts and strength training as well shorter HARD hilly 5kms did the trick. Within a week the abdominal changes were visible and i even lost 1kg unintentionally.
    If you are eating properly i would recommend changing up your workout schedule

This. Sometimes you just need to shake things up (at least i do....esp when training for a race)!
  • RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Without having read everyone elses posts my intial thought... you've just started running. Running causes microscopic tears in the musculature of the legs which require repair. Your body is pooling additional blood and fluids in the legs to assist in repairing the damage. I would consider this normal as I tend to weigh more the day after a run. 1-2 pounds in a person who weighs 200 lbs is really only a 1% body weight fluctuation.

Calorie loss from running is also too often over\understated. The 100 calories per mile that is often quoted is for an average male (150 lbs). Your most accurate assessment of the calories burned running would be thru the use of a Heart Rate Monitor as it is the most accurate measure of your workout intensity (assuming your follow the directions and figure out your correct zones and settings)

As for diet, be careful of hidden calories and also for quantities. I've been doing this for years and routinely remind myself of quantity via measuring cups and reading the label. Keep in mind that if it goes in your mouth it counts... this includes beverages and their fixings (i.e. cream, sugar?... an Extra Large Tim Horton's coffee with two cream, two sugar is approx. 300 calories.)

It may take discipline, but you'll get there!

If you need a little advise, feel free to add me as a friend. I've coached running clinics from Learn to Run, 5K and up to Half Marathon clinics. Advice is free, you get to do the hard part!

Cheers,
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    KittyS1986 wrote: »
    Hi Ive been running about one month after having a break. No new medication

Thanks! I really think it's too early to worry too much. Keep progressing and watching your intake, but remember to be moderate in your approach. The really awesome changes happen very slowly. I just switched from a casual TM run here and there to training and in over two weeks, the scale hasn't moved a muscle. I was actually up a pound today - grrrr. But then - meh. I'm doing the right things, I see changes in my body, and I'm fortunate enough to be physically capable of running. The weight will come down. Good luck to you!
  • luciahough
    luciahough Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You could not be eating enough. Your body could be going into starvation mode. Do you feel hungry all the time?? Try to up your calories by a bit and see what happens! You need more fuel think. You think especially if you're training!
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    luciahough wrote: »
    You could not be eating enough. Your body could be going into starvation mode. Do you feel hungry all the time?? Try to up your calories by a bit and see what happens! You need more fuel think. You think especially if you're training!

Seriously???? Starvation mode is a myth.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    luciahough wrote: »

Please - enough of the myths.

Get Real and read point #10 here: http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/

Or an entire article dedicated to the subject:

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/
  • juliegoodallmummy
    juliegoodallmummy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My instructor at the gym today was telling the class how much we overestimate how many calories we burn with exercise. Gadgets like Garmins etc also overestimate, as do treadmills. You may be thinking a 10k run has burnt 500 calories but it might be closer to 250 calories. Apparently heart rate monitors are more accurate in calorie burning estimations. You may be simply eating more calories than you are burning. It's easy to do as running makes you hungry.