Losing weight too quickly

Options
Hi
So first off I recently started AIP - I have hashimoto's and got fed up with my symptoms and how horrible I was feeling all the time. So in order to get myself on the right track I started by cutting out gluten, then caffeine, then soy and now I am on full AIP. I also consume about 2220 calories a day (as per MFP).

My starting weight was 203 lbs and now 35 days later i'm 182lbs.
From what I know 2lbs per week should be max but I am averaging more than that.

I want this to be a healthy life long change - I know that because of my Hashimoto's and general dietary sensitivities that I will never be able to go back to my old lifestyle... but I also want to make sure that I'm developing new healthy habits.

Any ideas?

By the way - I feel amazing! I have the energy I used to have from before my Thyroid problems. I have amazingly restful sleeps and I don't snore anymore.

Thanks for the help!!

Replies

• ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Right at first, sometimes you'll drop weight more quickly. It should even out in the next couple months. If you feel great, go with what you're doing. :)
  • ssmix
    ssmix Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the help!
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I think it will even out. If you're making sure the calories are coming in, and you're not over exercising you're probably fine. In my earliest days of my first loss, I was extremely heavy and some weeks I lost 5-6lbs, and that lasted for 2 months until it slowed to 3-4, and then down to a more normal rate. But I was craaaazy heavy.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I agree the first few weeks on dieting I lost 5 pounds a week, it has slowed down to 1 or 1.5 pounds a week over time.

Good Luck
  • John_Vianny
    John_Vianny Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Loosing weight too quickly can damage yourself if you dont do exercises.
    Cause the toxins which were inside the fat, are released in the blood cause of metabolism

So do exercises, and good luck.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I was losing too quickly and when I got a food scale I found out why. I was really overestimating how much I was eating!

But if it doesn't even out in a week or two you can revisit your goal to aim a little higher.
  • nikkithefatmodel
    nikkithefatmodel Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    How did u do it ?
    What did u eat
  • trinty425
    trinty425 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I too would recommend a food scale. I've found out these last couple of weeks that I have been overestimating my serving sizes of what I was eating on just about everything!!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    MFP gives you a calorie recommendation on your individual stats & goals, but that doesn't mean you won't lose more than that due to other variables. If you were really skimping on calories, it would be a concern, but it doesn't sound like you are. It will level out eventually, but right now just enjoy your success! :)
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I am assuming that your Hashimoto's is being treated by a physician? Make sure you check in with your doctor as that magnitude of weightloss may affect your medication dosage.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Loosing weight too quickly can damage yourself if you dont do exercises.
    Cause the toxins which were inside the fat, are released in the blood cause of metabolism

So do exercises, and good luck.

What? What toxins?
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    Did I miss something? How quickly did you lose 21 lbs? 2220 calories a day seems like a lot for rapid weight loss. Are you exercising? I would run this by your Dr. just in case your thyroid is over active and burning the calories. The fact you are eating, not starving and feeling good is great! Just make sure everything else is ok.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    If you're eating an adequate number of calories, and 2220 sounds like perfectly appropriate target, I wouldn't worry yet about the rapid initial weight loss. I'd suspect that you might have had a lot of inflammation and water retention going on, and the AIP has probably helped reduce a lot of that. Also, don't worry if your weight loss slows or stalls in the next month. Just keep doing what you've been doing and stay as consistent as possible. A food scale is a very good idea too, just to make sure that you're really eating 2220.

However...if you continue to see unusually rapid weight loss in the next month, I would see your doctor just to rule out anything else that might be contributing.
  • smcrimmon84
    smcrimmon84 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 lbs my first month too - not totally unusual to lose a lot quickly in the beginning but it should slow down. I would run it by your doc, just in case!
  • ssmix
    ssmix Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi

Wow, thanks everyone!
    So I started walking more and have been going to yoga/ Pilates. I know I need to strengthen up so plan to start strength training too.

In terms of keeping my doctor informed, I'm heading into see her this weekend as many of you are right, I've lost a lot and don't want to turn myself hyper with heart palpatations.
    I'm going to switch to a bilingual endocrinologist so I can get a better scope on everything. ( I live in South Korea and my current Doctor is great but our language barrier prevents us from being more proactive than just me on meds.)

I actually just picked up my food scale and plan to start weighing my food.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.