Heartburn while eating very healthy, no heartburn when eat junk

Options
Hey everyone,
I have been eating very well and logging all of my food for the past 30 days. Problem is I have been getting horrible heartburn! I am so uncomfortable and I can barely sleep! Today (after a month of great eating) I was exhausted and ate lots of cereal and very few fruits/vegetables.....and low and behold...no heartburn. So I would really like to loose the weight and eat all my wonderful fruits and vegetables, but I do not want to suffer with heartburn! any ideas?

Replies

• 2fastasleep
    2fastasleep Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Can't help but can sympathise. Last year I tried swapping bread for veg and ended up very, er, windy. Needless to say that didn't last too long!

But hey, cereals aren't junk are they? They're food (I sincerely thought)
  • devorahna
    devorahna Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Well I ate some m and m's too. Its just frustrating because I ate perfectly for 30 days and get awful heartburn ,and then i eat carbs and chocolate and I feel much better! frustrating because I want to loose 20lbs!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Do you eat late in the evening or maybe too much volume?
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Heartburn can be a symptom of gallbladder problems.
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Which vegetables and fruits are you eating? Some can be very acidic, whereas something like cereal is much easier to digest. I can't eat too many tomatoes or grapes without getting heartburn.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    You can look more closely at which fruits and veggies you are eating. Cucumbers and green peppers upset a lot of people, fruits high in acid, like citrus and pineapple, can also upset your stomach.

Also, are you getting fats with your healthy eating? Fats help the digestive process.

Good luck!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Why is cereal considered "junk" while veggies are "very healthy?" It seems to me that, in the context of your digestive issues, it should be the opposite.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Why is cereal considered "junk" while veggies are "very healthy?" It seems to me that, in the context of your digestive issues, it should be the opposite.

For me it is. I have Crohn's and veggies, fruit, fiber, nuts, seeds, legumes, spices, etc are horrible for me and create an array of GI issues but my body has no problem (usually unless in bad flare where even water irritates me and in moderation) digesting potato chips, chocolate, white bread, white rice, potatoes, etc.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Zantac per my doctor. Don't have a gallbladder. I can eat chips, crackers, cookies...junk...no problem.

Not eating low carb, just trying to eat more protein so that's a bigger part of my diet overall and it has been ouchy...wakes me up pain and tightness ouchy. And, no, not my heart, ruled that out.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a GI Dr?
  • belinda_73
    belinda_73 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I had similar issues and found a nutritionist that specializes in digestive issues, together we figured out what it was and now I can eat veggies.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Ya know, I have a funky stomach too. Seems like every other week it's different in a new challenging way. Since watching what I eat, I burp way more than usual and it drives me crazy. I have on and off heart burn, mostly when I'm hungry which is unfortunate. I had fish and French fries and ketchup last night- huge meal. No heart burn. Today I ate plain noodles with chicken and a small portion of peas, and a green salad and my stomach feels awful. Bloated and burpy, heart burn. And that was lunch, not dinner.

Honestly I can't figure it out either! Eating all the "healthy" options (basically anything that isn't edible right from the package), makes my digestion uncomfortable and not so healthy/packaged foods make my system feel normal/fine.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    It is probably the acid, or either a 'trigger' like onions are for me. Tomatoes are bad because of both, so I have to go off them occasionally, which I hate.

Try taking your Zantac closer to when you eat those foods. Drink milk with them (milk helps me a lot added to other foods), or eat alkaline veggies with them like kale, collards, broccoli. Bananas are the best fruit for when it gets bad. Sweet potatoes are good, too. This advice is just from personal experience and research, where the acidic nature of the foods is really why they bother me.

If you drink coffee, just cut that back some and you can probably eat the fruits fine. Coffee is a big trigger, unfortunately! I basically now drink coffee-flavored milk ;)

You can ask your doc about raising the dosage, too. Fruits and veggies are so good for you that it is nice to be able to eat them in quantity. It's possible your acid problem just got a bit worse and you only notice it with the more acidic foods.
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    If your eating lots of tomatos, onion, garlic, and anything spicey will make it worse i have dealt with this for over 25 years if changing your diet doest help see your doctor. My heart burn was real bad for a long time and it was because of a hernia that wanted to live in my esofagus
  • devorahna
    devorahna Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't think cereal is inherently bad but I do try and eat a lot of fruits and vegetables because a. you can eat more of them and feel fuller and get less calories b. I try to eat "clean" and basic which means more fruits and vegetables. Obviously I have to rethink how I am eating, because it does not agree with my body. I don' eat a lot of acidic foods, i guess I just need more carbs because they are more settling for the stomach.
  • rosecropper
    rosecropper Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I also have touchy stomach. I use a ninja blender to make smoothies out of fruits & veg and it helps reduce the discomfort.
    Fermenting grains, beans, lentils, quinoa, etc before cooking makes digestion easier too. Just put in bowl with enough water to cover, add some liquid from a carton of plain yogurt that had active cultures or buy the probiotic capsules & sprinkle a little into the soaking liquid and leave on counter overnight.
    You might try drinking more water with meals too. Produce has lots of fiber, needs more fluid to move through.
    If you like more starch to settle your tum, maybe exchange whole grains for the processed cookies & cereals.
    Since you are already taking Zantac, consider asking your MD to test you for h.pylori as it causes stomach ulcers and is treatable.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Heartburn can be a symptom of gallbladder problems.

^^ this x100. Go get checked out by your doctor.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Limit fruit and veg to breakfast and lunch and have a nice bowl of oatmeal for dinner.
  • jpswfe
    jpswfe Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have heartburn issues too. I've learned I can't eat certain veggies raw such as broccoli and cauliflower. I do take Prilosec daily and that helps tremendously. I suggest seeing your doctor.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Ashtoretet wrote: »
    Which vegetables and fruits are you eating? Some can be very acidic, whereas something like cereal is much easier to digest. I can't eat too many tomatoes or grapes without getting heartburn.

This^

Stick with fruit that has a higher PH. Bananas, melon, raspberries, cherries. Apples that are less acidic (high PH) are Fuji & gala.