White Rice

Options
I always get super hungry around midnight. Would eating 3 cups of white rice be okay for weight loss? I plan to track the calories but I keep hearing that white rice will make you fat

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    White rice won't make you fat - excess calories make you fat. But that's a lot of rice. Couldn't you plan a more balanced snack/meal?
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Try slow carbs instead...brown rice, wild rice, lentils, beans.
    I won't be eating white rice regularly, that's too "fast" a carb for me. I like to keep my blood sugar regulated. You can test your blood sugar at home during the day to see if that food is okay for you!
  • rpachigo
    rpachigo Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'll add quinoa and kaniwa alongwith brown/black rice. I avoid white rice like the plague
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Do you like white rice? Do you want to eat white rice? Does the amount of white rice fit in to your daily calorie and macronutritional goals?

If so, then sure, go for it.
    I won't be eating white rice regularly, that's too "fast" a carb for me. I like to keep my blood sugar regulated. You can test your blood sugar at home during the day to see if that food is okay for you!

OP does not indicate that they suffer from a metabolic disorder that would require monitoring of blood sugars.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    You don't need to test your blood sugar unless you have an illness that necessitates it
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    That sounds dull but won't make you fat if within your calorie allowance

Personally I only eat basmati by preference ...but I wouldnt eat it plain ever
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I love rice. Even plain.

3 cups is a lot of rice. If it fits in your calories, go for it.

I really wonder what the rest of your meals and macronutrients are like though, if you have enough calories for 3 cups of pure carbs after dinner...
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    If you know you roughly always have 700 cals left after dinner why not add this to your meals so you do not get hungry so late. Extra fats and protein can help you keep full for longer and are calorie dense, carbs like white rice can leave you hungrier and not so satisfied.
    The rice will fill you up but can sit heavy inside if going to bed.
    And will it be plain? I'm not a big rice eater especially for an Indian lol, but sounds a bit dull.
    Also remember to weigh not use cup measurements , you may find yourself eating more cals than you think
    Personally my go to is something short and sweet if I have extra cals

As said before if it fits your cals try it and see if it helps
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I have had a bit of an addiction to rice lately...1c cooked rice, 1 slice white cheese, 1 fried egg...totally delicious...
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Do you like white rice? Do you want to eat white rice? Does the amount of white rice fit in to your daily calorie and macronutritional goals?

If so, then sure, go for it.

OP does not indicate that they suffer from a metabolic disorder that would require monitoring of blood sugars.

Neither did he say he doesn't. It's just my input based on the information given. You give your answer, I'll give mine, have a nice day!
  • april1779
    april1779 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure you realize just how much 3 cups of rice is, are you just figuring that 3 cups of rice is how many calories you have left? I'm new to this, but sometimes when I have calories leftover and am feeling hungry in the evenings, I'll have nuke some steel cut oats with fruit. It fills me up and is yummy :) Some might find that too filling, but it's only 1/4 of a cup, 150 calories before fruit, and I'm satisfied. I don't eat much rice since I started this, I find it's too many calories without being very satisfying.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Weigh the dried rice before cooking and measure it that way. "3 cups" is not very accurate and with something like that it would be very easy to go over on calories.

Personally I think if I had 700 calories left over I'd be able to find something a little more interesting than a pile of plain rice though
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Weigh the dried rice before cooking and measure it that way. "3 cups" is not very accurate and with something like that it would be very easy to go over on calories.

Personally I think if I had 700 calories left over I'd be able to find something a little more interesting than a pile of plain rice though

Chicken wings for the win!
  • justinfarmer919
    justinfarmer919 Posts: 37 Member
    Options

I agree with that. Avoid the carbs before bed and go with a good protein source!!!!
  • earth_echo
    earth_echo Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Given the arsenic levels in rice, I say pick some other food!
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Wow - if I had 700 calories left over at the end of the night, I'd rather go with a bowl of ice cream! At least you get some fat and protein. And if you add fruit, you can increase its nutritional value too.

I love white rice, but that does seem like a LOT.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options

I agree with that. Avoid the carbs before bed and go with a good protein source!!!!

Why would you want to avoid carbs before bed?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

that is only relevant if OP has some kind of medical condition ..

If not OP can eat any kind of carbs at any time....

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Wow - if I had 700 calories left over at the end of the night, I'd rather go with a bowl of ice cream! At least you get some fat and protein. And if you add fruit, you can increase its nutritional value too.

i would go with oreos and milk myself....