Gym or Diet or both?

Options
Curious to see the people's point of view

Replies

• HStheBusyBee
    HStheBusyBee Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Both! Although I think that diet has to be the biggest priority. Can't out-run a bad diet.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    both
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    From a general point of view, diet is for weight, exercise is for fitness and wellbeing. Doing both kinda helps each other out though so exercising while losing weight will speed up your loss and switching up some things in your diet can sometimes leave you feeling like you have more energy so you can exercise more.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Depends upon your goal.

But, generally I prefer to see exercise as a tool for health and physical performance whilst eating is a tool to fuel yourself or manage ones weight.

In practice, for me that means both.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    "Both" is absolutely the best answer. If one or the other, diet. But both is by far the best choice.

I can tell you from experience that you can't out-exercise a bad diet. As a wanna-be bicycle racer, I rode and trained my a** off but the weight didn't come off until I took control of the diet. The old axiom of weight loss being 90% done in the kitchen is true.
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should see it as a diet, but a change of lifestyle (stop it and it will pile up again). But officially just the calorie reduction should help, however the gym will provide additional calorie burn which is an extra tool.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Like the replies so far, for weight loss, eat at calorie deficit, for overall health improvement, move more. Whatever physical activity you enjoy and will stick with.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Depends.

Your diet is for weight loss/maintenance/gain, while exercise is for general health.

I was a prime example of not being able to outrun a bad diet. Before I really understood calorie deficits and weight loss, I thought I could just run and lose weight. Yeah, some probably can (if they're overeating by a smaller surplus), but even with running I was eating too much so I wasn't losing weight. Once I got my calories in check, weight loss happened.
  • trinty425
    trinty425 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I think it is easier to start with adjusting your diet. Planning meals, using a scale, logging your foods, etc. Then while doing this start adding extra physical activity. Park farther away from stores, take the stairs instead of elevator, etc. Once you feel pretty solid on the diet changes...it comes more naturally rather then a chore to try to remember....then add in "official" exercise like elliptical, workout video, etc.

I feel diet is the most important. You cannot just make up for bad eating with just the gym. But then exercise with good eating is the best combo because they aid each other and boost weight loss.
  • tryin2die2self
    tryin2die2self Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    "Lose weight in the kitchen and build muscle in the gym." If you are looking purely at balancing out calories, for me, it is 80% diet intake/20% exercise
  • tryin2die2self
    tryin2die2self Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Both! Although I think that diet has to be the biggest priority. Can't out-run a bad diet.

Well said!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Sex, weights, and protein shakes.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options

Well said!

Perhaps, but more accurate would be, can't out run eating more calories than you burn.

• Manly_hood
    Manly_hood Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Everyone wrote valid points and I believe diet will be more than enough if the goal is just to loose weight but it may take bit longer. You can loose weight quickly if u diet and going to gym at the same time. One thing I am sure is gong to gym doesn't help to loose weight unless u don't control your diet.
  • Manly_hood
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    Depends.

Your diet is for weight loss/maintenance/gain, while exercise is for general health.

I was a prime example of not being able to outrun a bad diet. Before I really understood calorie deficits and weight loss, I thought I could just run and lose weight. Yeah, some probably can (if they're overeating by a smaller surplus), but even with running I was eating too much so I wasn't losing weight. Once I got my calories in check, weight loss happened.
    True calories check really helps
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    minujijin wrote: »
    Everyone wrote valid points and I believe diet will be more than enough if the goal is just to loose weight but it may take bit longer. You can loose weight quickly if u diet and going to gym at the same time. One thing I am sure is gong to gym doesn't help to loose weight unless u don't control your diet.

Some exercises will speed up weight loss - Long steady state cardio for example. Others will slow down weight loss - Strength conditioning work for example.

The difference is LSS Cardio will encourage both fat and muscle metabolisation* whereas strength conditioning will decrease muscle metabolisation*.

Fat loss is a sub-set of weight loss.

* when in calorific deficit.
  • Manly_hood
    Options
    minujijin wrote: »

Some exercises will speed up weight loss - Long steady state cardio for example. Others will slow down weight loss - Strength conditioning work for example.

The difference is LSS Cardio will encourage both fat and muscle metabolisation* whereas strength conditioning will decrease muscle metabolisation*.

Fat loss is a sub-set of weight loss.

* when in calorific deficit.

That's something new info to me. Can u pls give some examples for LSS ?
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Diet = looking good with clothes
    Diet + exercise = looking good without clothes
  • Deckhand562
    Deckhand562 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    75in2013 wrote: »
    Diet = looking good with clothes
    Diet + exercise = looking good without clothes

LOVE this!