Impatient with weightloss?

Options
Anyone else out there?
I want to remove the impaitience and obsessiveness I have over loosing weight, it's all I think about and literally can't wait for each day to be over so I get closer to feeling comfortable in my body.
I wish I could just 'enjoy' the journey and not be so obsessive about it.

Replies

• ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    xxteeleexx wrote: »
    Anyone else out there?
    I want to remove the impaitience and obsessiveness I have over loosing weight, it's all I think about and literally can't wait for each day to be over so I get closer to feeling comfortable in my body.
    I wish I could just 'enjoy' the journey and not be so obsessive about it.

I didn't start to enjoy until I made significant progress but rather than trying to enjoy every second, just look forward to fitting into a diff size jeans! You can't force an emotion but you can be proud of daily accomplishments :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Unless this is something that needs professional treatment, you can do a lot to work with your mind. Mindfulness, self love, that kind of stuff. Lots of books. I haven't read this myself, but check out, for instance, "No Sweat" by Michelle Segar.
  • michaelgooch123
    michaelgooch123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You're definitely not alone there :)

My first few weight loss attempts failed because of this. I was overwhelmed by the journey ahead and would go off track immediately. A year later I would think back to this and think "what if I continued that routine for the whole year?".
    The only thing that works for me is to continuously read success stories and before/after pictures of weight loss. It drills into your mind that if you keep working (no matter how little you feel you are progressing) you will get there eventually.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    you aren't alone but when you stick with it and start seeing results then you know the effort was worth it :smile:
  • olong
    olong Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm learning how to maintain right now. When I was in weight loss mode, I would take a tape measure to myself the first week of every month. There were times the scale didn't move for a weeks but up and down the same two pounds. My measurements, though, were noticeably decreasing! Even if you haven't been measuring until now, start. When you hit a plateau or just a few weeks when the scale seems to refuse to move, measure again!
  • Jenfromtheblock84
    Jenfromtheblock84 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Just keep your chin up and keep pushing. We are all impatient at first I think but you have to learn that this is your life long journey so it's going to take a while, especially if you have a bit to lose like myself. Celebrate your small accomplishments and keep small goals and the the time will pass so quickly. :)
  • xxteeleexx
    xxteeleexx Posts: 10 Member
    Options

My first few weight loss attempts failed because of this. I was overwhelmed by the journey ahead and would go off track immediately. A year later I would think back to this and think "what if I continued that routine for the whole year?".
    The only thing that works for me is to continuously read success stories and before/after pictures of weight loss. It drills into your mind that if you keep working (no matter how little you feel you are progressing) you will get there eventually.

This is EXACTLY me.. But this time last year I was actually 10lbs LIGHTER. So much for weightloss journey, I actually gained but believe it or not the whole time I was yo-Yo ing with trying to loose the weight.

Thankyou all for your Replies, I'm nice to hear that it's not just me and more common than I thought x
  • Shrinking_Erin
    Shrinking_Erin Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Keep at it. Even when you're grumpy and so over it. Just keep however you are feeling, wake up the next day and face whatever comes. Eventually it does get easier.
  • Suziq38
    Suziq38 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Don't give up.
    Stick with the program forever, day by day.
    I have had health problems with neuropathies and pain.
    I have had to take pain meds that put the weight back on.
    I now go to an acupuncturist, and that takes care of my pain.
    Now I have to lose the weight.

I weigh 159, and I want to weigh 150 as a short-term goal.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    If you're a reader, get a copy of Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Persig. It's a classic from the 1970's.
    I love his description of the Romantic vs the Classicist on bikes. The romantic just idealizes the act of riding the bike with the wind blowing against their face, but the classicist understands how to take the bike apart when it's not running well. Weight loss is a lot like this. People fantasize & daydream about how great they'll look in size XYorZ, how their Aunt So-and-so's criticisms will finally be silenced, how their ex will feel when they look fab at the company BBQ... but eventually every person who really wants to lose weight and keep it off has to embrace the classicist side and truly understand how their body really works. Understand calories, chart weight, track work outs, fine tune different approaches by seeing what works, make changes when things that worked previously stop working as well. In short, it requires tinkering with yourself like bike maintenance. And it's not something you hold your nose and do once. It's something you do forever.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    If you're a reader, get a copy of Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Persig. It's a classic from the 1970's.
    I love his description of the Romantic vs the Classicist on bikes. The romantic just idealizes the act of riding the bike with the wind blowing against their face, but the classicist understands how to take the bike apart when it's not running well. Weight loss is a lot like this. People fantasize & daydream about how great they'll look in size XYorZ, how their Aunt So-and-so's criticisms will finally be silenced, how their ex will feel when they look fab at the company BBQ... but eventually every person who really wants to lose weight and keep it off has to embrace the classicist side and truly understand how their body really works. Understand calories, chart weight, track work outs, fine tune different approaches by seeing what works, make changes when things that worked previously stop working as well. In short, it requires tinkering with yourself like bike maintenance. And it's not something you hold your nose and do once. It's something you do forever.

Great analogy!
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »

Great analogy!

Agree...very good analogy.
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options

Are we the same person? lol If I would have kept going with WW 3 years ago I would have hit goal a long time ago. Instead I got lazy and gave up but luckily didn't gain anything back. Just didn't lose like I wanted. Now I'm back at it again and doing really well with MFP. I do the same thing, too. I look at success stories all the time here and on a few other websites. It just keeps me motivated. I also like to set my phone background with some sort of motivational quote or picture since I'm always on it.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I understand how weight loss works, but struggle due to various medical issues and other abnormalities. Despite being Persig's example of a "classicist," I still get very frustrated and impatient. Then again, I believe most people who average less than 1 lb. per month (with several months straight of no loss at all) of loss would be impatient too.
  • ALG775
    ALG775 Posts: 246 Member
    Options

Loved that book! And great analogy. I think a big step for me is understanding the difference between restraint and restriction. If I feel restricted my first impulse is to rebelet (and eat an moan about how things aren't fair) Restraint feels different I feel better when I exercise restraint -as @scolaris says, if I understand the consequences of my action, I can choose freely.
  • beetlebailey698
    beetlebailey698 Posts: 11 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I am getting very frustrated with my rate of weight loss. I am doing 45 mins of Ashtanga Yoga every day and coming in well under my calorie goals for losing 2 lbs a week, but I'm barely losing 1 lb a week??
    I usually have a protein shake for breakfast, a small lunch, and then an approx 1000 cal dinner. Should I be trying to spread out my calorie intake better? Help! :D

btw---when I started I was around 312 lbs and after about 30 days I am 305.
  • PenguinGirl1234
    PenguinGirl1234 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    xxteeleexx wrote: »

This is EXACTLY me.. But this time last year I was actually 10lbs LIGHTER. So much for weightloss journey, I actually gained but believe it or not the whole time I was yo-Yo ing with trying to loose the weight.

Thankyou all for your Replies, I'm nice to hear that it's not just me and more common than I thought x

• PenguinGirl1234
    PenguinGirl1234 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Something that helps me is keeping a journal. I do this in a spreadsheet that tracks my weight on a weekly basis, and I just add a column for "thoughts." It is helpful because I go back a couple weeks or months and realize a lot of the negative things I felt or thought, but I see progress and realize that this is a process and I am moving forward!
  • trinty425
    trinty425 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It can be sooooo hard to keep on on eating good, logging everything, working out, etc. if you are not seeing any positive changes (or extremely minimal ones even). You start thinking...why am I bothering if nothing is happening? When you go to weigh....and you hold your breath...and the scale says your still the same weight...or...gained a pound?!?!

I was starting to feel this....after a month the scale finally said 1 lb lost....for 2 days straight now! So, I'm feeling a little optimistic now. But, I am also hesitant because what if this 1 lb lost is just a small fluctuation and doesn't stick?

Believe me, many people go through this. That is why you see and hear so many positive thinking comments. That is why it is so important to have people to support and motivate you. To keep your mental health up while you work on your physical health.

Just take it one day at a time!!
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes we would be in a better frame of mind if losing weight wasnt our entire focus - yes, for virtually all of us here, weight loss or maintenance is a big deal, but healthy, both physical and mental, is also a big deal. If I can get through a day and say that I made good choices all day, that I drank water, that I didnt give up even when my colleagues brought in a dozen doughnuts at noon, or that I can go home after work and know exactly what I am going to have for dinner and how many calories I will have at the end of a day for a glass of wine or some cracker chips, then thats a GOOD day. And if I didnt GAIN any weight then thats better! And even if I DID gain weight, I know its probably water weight. AND if I LOST weight, or can now fit into a size smaller - WOW What a super day! AND if I said one small thing to another poster and it helped them - jeepers - thats like winning the lottery!! Sometimes just shifting focus, and seeing things from a different perspective can make a difference. Count your blessings (and your calories!!)