Supplements

Options
I have started my weight loss journey 3 days back and I am consulting an online personal trainer as I live is a very small town with minimum facilities. I have lost 1 kg in 2days. My trainer has told me to start taking following supplements from today.

Multivitamin (morning)
Vitamin B12 (morning)
Zinc 50 mg (morning)
Ashwagandha
Fish Oil Tab 3g
Vitamin D3 3000 iu daily
Probiotic (Night)
Magnesium Citrate (night)
Zinc 50 mg (Night)

can anyone advice if these are good for weight loss or anyone have experience good result or any side effects of taking those supplements or just a generally if taking these is a good idea or not?

Also doing daily workout with proper diet plan on daily basis.

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    None of them have proven weight loss benefits.

Have you had a blood test to see if you are deficient in any of these vitamins or minerals?

Ashwagandha some people have found it anecdotally gives them energy but no more than having a banana which would then give you nutrients also.

What qualification does this person have?
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    As RuNaRoUnDaFiEld states, these vitamin supplements will not enhance, improve or speed up weight loss. What works for weight loss is calorie deficit.

Eating a variety of foods, incorporating vegetables, proteins and fats will ensure that most people receive sufficient minerals and vitamins. So, unless you have specific knowledge that you are lacking an a certain area you do not need to supplement.
    I will however admit that I do take a daily Vitamin D3 and Fish oil tablet. I feel that, for me, both are justified in that - I live in the North of England and throughout the winter I get virtually zero sunlight exposure (hence the Vit D3) and I have recently stopped eating as much oily fish as I was in the past (I think I kind of overdosed on it - I can't seem to stomach that much these days) so I introduced the fish oil tab to make up for that.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    The zinc is several time what you need (30mg/day is plenty), and you may need to do the Magnesium both morning AND evening. For the most part it looks good.
  • ajaysharma316
    ajaysharma316 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My thing is that I dont eat fish so maybe the trainer has recomended me that. Also the nature of my work is 10 hours of desk job, so dont get any much sunlight.
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    I think if your trainer recommends anything; supplement, type of exercise, type of food you should be asking why and not stop asking why until you get a convincing answer. Her/she should be able to justify each and every on of those sups on your list -although he/she may (quite reasonably) say that many are low cost, zero negative effect and are there as "an insurance policy".

But still, ask your trainer.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I don't take any supplements for weight loss purposes.

I take a standard multi-spectrum multivitamin just in case I don't meet all of my vitamin needs daily through diet, although I try to eat plenty of fruit & veg.

I take Glucosamine & Chondroitin and Cod Liver Oil because I have joint issues.

That's all. None of them have anything to do with weight loss.
  • Hartman1986
    Hartman1986 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Vitamins and Supplements don't really do anything for weight loss unless your body is really short on those vitamins. My guess is your trainer is recommending them as a buffer in case you don't consume enough through your food.

Most of what he recommends I've not had any experience with but the B12 Vitamin acts like an energy supplement in some people. It's used in MUCH higher concentrations in energy drinks. I don't know about any negative effects of it.
  • Selkie_Runner
    Selkie_Runner Posts: 41 Member
    Options

Most of what he recommends I've not had any experience with but the B12 Vitamin acts like an energy supplement in some people. It's used in MUCH higher concentrations in energy drinks. I don't know about any negative effects of it.
    Most people have plenty of B12 in fact if you are healthy your body will normally have plenty unless you have a known deficiency or are unlikely to be eating foods that contain it (e.g Vegan or Vegetarian) B12 is likely to be pretty pointless and more a placebo for most people

OP none of the things you are taking are really needed if your eating a balanced diet. they wont have any effect on weightloss. Do you have any medical reasons to take them?

• michael_jordan7
    michael_jordan7 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'll quote Michael Pollan here, "Be the kind of person who takes supplements, then skip the supplements and save the money.". His point being that people who take supplements are healthier in general, even though the supplements themselves have been shown to have no benefits.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    100mg of zinc is way too much. The RDA for men is around 12mg. Upper limit is 40mg. So yeah.

Also zinc works synergistically with copper. A ratio between 8:1 and 12:1 is ideal. By taking 100mg of zinc that is not happening and you are putting your health at risk.

• jwerkman0
    jwerkman0 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is to get blood work done to see if you deficient in any category. Otherwise you just throwing away money.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,393 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Why would a trainer recommend supplements. Over prescription of supplements, especially the minerals, can have adverse affects on you.

BTW, the magnesium citrate and probiotics would do a pretty good number on you. Citrate is what hospitals use to get your bowels moving. And probiotics can help that too.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    A multivitamin is not really going to hurt you if you aren't eating a well balanced diet.

Fish oil is good if you don't eat fish.

You don't really need the D3, you can get adequate Vit D from the sun in like 10 minutes a day.

Probiotics can be good if you have GI issues, but do your research.

Unless you've been tested and have a deficiency, I wouldn't bother with anything else.

And no, it is not likely that any of those will help you with weight loss.

I too have a desk job, so I eat while I work and then go outside for a walk on my lunch break. I kill 2 birds with one stone because I'm getting sunlight for my Vit D and exercise.

Good luck!
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Just take a multivitamin.
    NOT one he sells. One you buy at walmart.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Whoa....that's A LOT of zinc. Does your trainer have a background in this, because that's way too much.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    100mg of zinc is way too much. The RDA for men is around 12mg. Upper limit is 40mg. So yeah.

Also zinc works synergistically with copper. A ratio between 8:1 and 12:1 is ideal. By taking 100mg of zinc that is not happening and you are putting your health at risk.

Ooops....I see now you've already been told this.
  • tristen_leigh
    tristen_leigh Posts: 214 Member
    Options

I disagree with this person as usual. I definitely would not recommend a cheap multivitamin. Do some unbiased research about multivitamins - I take a powder form called Sport Formula that I purchase a nutrition shop and I really like it.

I've always been told the only things you NEED are the things you're lacking. The only way you'll know that is with a blood test.
  • StealthHealth
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You don't really need the D3, you can get adequate Vit D from the sun in like 10 minutes a day.

"In the UK, our skin isn't able to make vitamin D from October to March, as the sunlight hasn't got enough UVB radiation."

Source: NHS
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,393 MFP Moderator
    Options

I disagree with this person as usual. I definitely would not recommend a cheap multivitamin. Do some unbiased research about multivitamins - I take a powder form called Sport Formula that I purchase a nutrition shop and I really like it.

I've always been told the only things you NEED are the things you're lacking. The only way you'll know that is with a blood test.

Just because it's at walmart doesnt mean its not good (well sometimes). They have Nature Made vitamins, many of which are certified by the USP.

Has your brand been validated to ensure it provides what it says?
  • barkercraig617
    barkercraig617 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Suggestion search out a ketogenic diet it is a lot like an Atkins diet you do for a short amount of time high protein which focuses on depleating belly fat. It works I have Don it.

No there is no vitamin or pill that's going to make this all go away it comes down to exercise and good nutrition. Yes I understood where I can all day sitting behind a desk is hard to get that time for a little workout but that is what is going to make the difference there is a effort in making a change. good luck, any questions would love to help.