Pre-workout thoughts

Options
Just ordered a pre-workout powder....does anyone use a pre-workout? What are your thoughts? My friend uses one, he works out every single day...he said some can make you jittery but he recommended one that he uses which he has good results with. When asked if he can feel the difference from workouts without it versus using it...and he said absolutely.
I should get it within the next couple of days...so we'll see. I basically want it for my 12/13 hour work days that I am unable to get my workout done in the morning and really need the energy/push to get through it after work. I follow someone on Facebook who uses one as well and she loves it.

Replies

• Achaila
    Achaila Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I just drink a 5 hour energy. I used to spend a lot on supplements, but they just make me itchy anxious, but don't actually help me move at all. I just pick up at 5 hour energy at 7-11 on the way to the gym. Seems to be all I need!
  • cvlvft
    cvlvft Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you don't like the itchy feeling it gives you I would try drinking coffee (black) before your workouts it'll get your heart rate up and blood flowing. Try that then compare it with your pre-workout drink.
  • mscote12
    mscote12 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Well, hopefully this one doesn't give me itchy or jittery feelings....I should get it Friday. I will probably try it Sunday morning before my bootcamp class...
  • bigbodybake
    bigbodybake Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I used to use them religiously, until the day I felt like I couldn't breathe. I swore I could not work out without them, they drove me to increase strength and energy. Then one day my body started hurting, breathing felt impossible, I passed out. I haven't used them now for almost 2 years. I am stronger, faster and more energetic than ever.

I would and have recommended passing on them. You don't need tons of sugar and caffeine to get a good workout, they even hamper your progress.

Good luck
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    At first, I was expecting a Buzzfeed-style post about what you think directly before a workout. I was going to say that mine are either "Oh, god do I have to do this? Can I just eat less and achieve the same thing? Do I really want to move? UGHHHHH!!!!" or "OMG. I'M SO EXCITED! I'M GONNA RUN AND I'M GONNA GET ON THE ELLIPTICAL AND I'M GONNA PICK SOME STUFF UP AND PUT IT DOWN AND IT WILL BE THE BEST TIME OF MY LIFE."

There is no in between.

But to address the real question. Coffee. Coffee is good.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I use coffee but sparingly. Coffee lacks a lot of needed nutrients like electrolyte, vitamin #'s.

If possible I use Gatorade.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Achaila wrote: »
    I just drink a 5 hour energy. I used to spend a lot on supplements, but they just make me itchy anxious, but don't actually help me move at all. I just pick up at 5 hour energy at 7-11 on the way to the gym. Seems to be all I need!

Aren't those like $3-4 dollar each? You can easily find preworkout that will be cheaper in the long run.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in them

Well I know they exist, they're not mermaids after all, but if your diet is en pointe no need or particular benefit

I tend to drink emergen-c during most workouts though...cos vitamins and minerals and taste

Also this
    Forty6and2 wrote: »
    At first, I was expecting a Buzzfeed-style post about what you think directly before a workout. I was going to say that mine are either "Oh, god do I have to do this? Can I just eat less and achieve the same thing? Do I really want to move? UGHHHHH!!!!" or "OMG. I'M SO EXCITED! I'M GONNA RUN AND I'M GONNA GET ON THE ELLIPTICAL AND I'M GONNA PICK SOME STUFF UP AND PUT IT DOWN AND IT WILL BE THE BEST TIME OF MY LIFE."

There is no in between.

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I don't fuel up before a workout. Lunch was plenty, thank you, and my blood sugar is pretty stable now. I am generally hungry after one though, and enjoy a yogurt and banana.

@Forty6and2 I had the same thought.
  • spacecadetz06
    spacecadetz06 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Love pre work outs. Gets me in the mood before a heavy session. Better ones have less crash for me like Olympus labs. But be careful with the stims they put in everyone reacts differently.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Not looking to load myself up with a bunch of stimulants.
  • mscote12
    Options
    The one he recommended, which is the one I purchased is C4...it is not something I plan to use every single time I workout, just on those days that I know I should workout and I do not have the umph to get myself there...I work two jobs, 12/13 hours a day 3 days a week at desk jobs--those are the days I feel a preworkout might be helpful.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    mscote12 wrote: »
    The one he recommended, which is the one I purchased is C4...it is not something I plan to use every single time I workout, just on those days that I know I should workout and I do not have the umph to get myself there...I work two jobs, 12/13 hours a day 3 days a week at desk jobs--those are the days I feel a preworkout might be helpful.

If you workout after a 12 hour day and take a bunch of stimulants, do you expect to be able to sleep afterward?
  • mscote12
    Options
    Yes I do...if I find I am having trouble sleeping when using the pre-workout...I will make adjustments or stop using them, easy as that.
  • natashakassel956
    natashakassel956 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use c4 and it honestly makes you want to run miles, it helped me loose the weight that I need to loose, and I am being honest! Drink it right before you work out and it will kick in and push you through it!
    Hope this helps!
  • mscote12
    Options
    @natashakassel956 Thank you for your input :smile: Good to hear from someone who uses the exact product I am about to try
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Forty6and2 wrote: »

There is no in between.

That was my thought as well!
    Mine are time dependent it seems. If at lunch during work - then "yay! big break from work!"
    If at ANY other time "Ugh changing sucks. Travelling sucks. My basement sucks. Why does everything on either side of exercise suck so much"
  • bmayes2014
    bmayes2014 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I used to use C4 for about 4 or 5 months before every workout. I just wanted to try something new. I got the itchy (beta-alanine) feeling and was okay with it. What I didn't realize is that is was driving my blood pressure through the roof for the rest of the day. The doctor took me off of it with a quickness. I do not (yet) have a high BP diagnosis. I am doing all that I can to prevent having to go on meds (although it may be inevitable because of genetics). Anyhoo, I don't use anything anymore but good *kitten* music and I am still able to hit the gym hard and kill my training sessions (leg day included ;)
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I work out first thing in the morning when fasted so all I have is a cup or two of black coffee and then I drink my BCAA preworkout. I alternate between Scivation Xtend and Bpi Sports Best BCAA. I like the taste and the little boost it gives me until my first meal.