How often do you exercise?

Options
I have been exercising 6 days a week for around 45 minutes. My body is exhausted! How often do you exercise to keep up the weight loss? I know I need to listen to my body and take a break but it's hard because I'm so scared of gaining the weight back.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I treat exercise just like any other lifestyle change. My diet is the most important factor for weight loss. Exercise is for fitness and will give me a little wiggle room during maintenance. You won't gain weight during rest days, unless you are eating too much.
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    6 days a week, but I change types of exercise. I Jog 1 day, video series the next. I change up my routine as it was stressing my knees too much to run daily.
  • no_day_but_2day
    no_day_but_2day Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I hate taking rest days too. You're not going to gain weight back in a single day unless you pig out on 5000 calories or something. I recommend active rest days. Walking, swimming, or just simple biking but not to your maximum effort. It will feel like a workout but you will be giving your body the rest it needs. I workout every day too but I do it because I love it. I don't plan to take rest days because I'm always afraid I'll take a rest day on Wednesday and then something will come up on Thursday to where I can't work out and then I'll feel terrible because that's two days in a row. I have a slight addiction though. :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I don't exercise to lose weight, that's what my calorie deficit is for.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    5-6 days a week...for fitness, not for weight loss.
  • Helloidentitycrisis
    Helloidentitycrisis Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym for around 2 hours (40-45 minutes rowing, 60-80 minutes lifting with a lot of that being rest time) M, T, T, F. Wed/Sat I'm usually pretty pooped, then on Sunday I'm usually active but don't officially workout.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Exercise is to build your lean body mass, it takes conditioning. I exercise every day because I enjoy it and it feels good and it empowers my life.

Fat loss and body fat control is all about food intake. Fat loss happens very slowly and the body weight scale is very limiting and won't tell you the whole story. If you are in a big fat loss phase then you will have bigger changes, then it will slow down. It's mostly only good to look at the scale every month or so and look at the trend over time. Once you get down to the last 1-15 pounds the scale is mostly useless.
  • ScoobaChick
    ScoobaChick Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I Zumba almost every day but my body is so used to it that I don't feel sore afterwards. I lift three times per week but need 1-2 days rest between each session. It all depends on what you are doing and how long you have been doing it.

You need to start slow though and take rest days at the beginning and build up your exercise schedule. A lot of people on here have been working out for years and so are probably not the best comparison. Don't do anything that hurts.

What type of exercise are you doing?
  • Helloidentitycrisis
    Helloidentitycrisis Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I Zumba almost every day but my body is so used to it that I don't feel sore afterwards. I lift three times per week but need 1-2 days rest between each session. It all depends on what you are doing and how long you have been doing it.

You need to start slow though and take rest days at the beginning and build up your exercise schedule. A lot of people on here have been working out for years and so are probably not the best comparison. Don't do anything that hurts.

I'm not saying this is bad advice but I just want to edit this slightly:

Don't do anything that hurts excessively.

If I don't hurt, I probably didn't work out - whether I went to the gym or not, haha!
  • ScoobaChick
    ScoobaChick Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Don't do anything that hurts excessively.

Well there is a huge difference between the discomfort of DOMS or pushing your lifting limit and actual tearing pain. Nothing should ever be painful (uncomfortable yes but not painful).

If the pain is sharp you are doing something wrong!

• drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    12x per week. Row and run 60km/week, 2 lifting sessions, 2 climbing gym sessions, and one all-day outing on the weekend rock or ice climbing.
  • jtolman619
    jtolman619 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I exercise every day for 30 minutes, although Sunday I do yoga so it's kind of a rest day for me.
  • mandietippets
    mandietippets Posts: 55 Member
    Options

I've mostly been using the elliptical and doing some strength training. I have degenerative disk disease and several herniated disks. The exercise makes me feel great (usually) but I worked out pretty hard yesterday and am having pretty significant back and sciatic pain. I'm thinking I it's just my body telling me I need a break. Eating very clean too which is probably the main reason I'm losing weight.
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Exercise really isn't a way to "lose weight". It's more to look better, and be stronger. Diet is your main source of losing weight, since you need to be in a calorie deficit. You should not gain weight simply from taking a break, your body actually needs rest from work outs. Gained weight is from eating too much, or simply water weight, not that you should reduce your water intake. Your body can naturally fluctuate about 2-5 lbs.
  • furmickc
    furmickc Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Run 6 days a week, cross train (boot-camp style class) 2 days a week. One rest day a week. But as everyone above says, exercise has not been why I've lost weight. Diet is. 100%
  • Burger2066
    Burger2066 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I do strength training and cardio 6 days a week with an active rest day, so that I can get in hockey shape. I watch what I eat so I can weigh what I want to.
  • liftsalltheweights
    liftsalltheweights Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I lift 5 days a week (shooting for 7 every other week) and do cardio 4 days a week, sometimes 5 if I decide to throw in a treadmill walk on the weekend.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I use to go to crossfit 3-4 days a week and tennis 2x a week, but broke my ankle 3 weeks ago....no fitness at all right now and feeling like a blob....nice recovery break though! may start up some arm weights this week and praying for no weight gain! however I'm afraid i will lose muscle so it will all even out..."skinny/fat"..yuck!
  • beamie2687
    beamie2687 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I exercise anywhere between 3-5 days a week. I find that it makes me feel calm and accomplished and that I've been sleeping better. I do cardio every day that I work out, and lift at least 3 days a week. I almost always take an entire weekend day off, and the other day I'll adjust based on how I feel - yoga or more cardio.
  • RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Every Dang Day (unless life gets in the way)! But aim for variety... I do a combination of strength, boxing, treadmill, and exercise bike workouts... and hopefully soon back to running outdoors (if my mean old physio will let me :wink: )