Getting Bigger: When to buy new clothes?

Options
TimaTeemz
TimaTeemz Posts: 18 Member
Hey everyone!
I've been doing great with my weight gaining journey. Some of my pants are starting to get tighter. I haven't reached my final goal yet, but plan to by April.

For now I've been mostly wearing clothes that have stretch or my looser fitting clothes.

When's a good time to start shopping for new clothes for your new body? For those of you who have reached your goals, when did you buy bigger clothes? Was it before you reached your goal(in preparation) or after you reached it?

Height: 5'2
Weight: 123
Goal Weight: 131

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You have a little less than 10 lbs, I'd wait a bit. What I do is try to get some really good bargains or go to higher end thrift stores for clothes to wear in between stages. I guess it's a little different for me as I'm gaining but want to cut afterward though.
  • TimaTeemz
    Options
    Good point. I think I might shop for some temporary pants and then also buy a few new pairs for once I reach my goal
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    if you get to a point where you need to buy new clothes you may have over shot your bulk .....
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily -- depending on the style, women's clothes can be much more form-fitting than men's. It also depends on how you're outgrowing your clothes; I have lots of jeans that fit my waist just fine the whole time I was bulking but no longer fit well on my quads.
  • arditarose
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    if you get to a point where you need to buy new clothes you may have over shot your bulk .....

Eh. Not necessarily. If I were going to stay at this weight or stay after gaining another few, I'd have to buy a bigger pair of jeans to look nice probably. I was wearing 26 inch waist jeans at the end of my cut, even if my waist only went up to 27/28...27 inch jeans were not made for women who have a butt as big as me now. Women's clothes are weird.
  • TimaTeemz
    Options
    I've outgrown most of my pants in the thighs and hip area. gonna be rocking leggings and dresses until I reach my final goal. thnx for the input guys!
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    We already solved that problem back in the 80's.
    d3w5vh3rri8s.jpg
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Eh. Not necessarily. If I were going to stay at this weight or stay after gaining another few, I'd have to buy a bigger pair of jeans to look nice probably. I was wearing 26 inch waist jeans at the end of my cut, even if my waist only went up to 27/28...27 inch jeans were not made for women who have a butt as big as me now. Women's clothes are weird.

I agree, and you don't know everyones' pants situation. I stopped buying pants a month before I ended my cut so I could "make room" in my tiny pants so that when I bulked they would end up fitting properly again. Now they are starting to get tighter during month 4 of my bulk. But if my tiny pants were already tight at the end of my cut, I would probably be up a size as well. I'm pear shaped so pants are a huge deal and shirt sizes don't matter unless I get seriously overweight.
  • arditarose
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    We already solved that problem back in the 80's.
    d3w5vh3rri8s.jpg

lolol. I actually did buy some sweatpants, though not QUITE like that.
    arditarose wrote: »

I agree, and you don't know everyones' pants situation. I stopped buying pants a month before I ended my cut so I could "make room" in my tiny pants so that when I bulked they would end up fitting properly again. Now they are starting to get tighter during month 4 of my bulk. But if my tiny pants were already tight at the end of my cut, I would probably be up a size as well. I'm pear shaped so pants are a huge deal and shirt sizes don't matter unless I get seriously overweight.

Right. I bought pants at the end of my cut when I was itty bitty (though I didn't know it then). It's not like I'm going to be going from a size small to medium shirt anytime soon.
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    Options

Women's clothing is different...my bulk went exactly as I planned - 14.5lbs in 6 months, 3% body fat, and I went from a size 4/6 jeans to a 9/11...I'm down to 1 pair of jeans, one pair of sweatpants, and one jersey dress that fit (shirts aren't that bad since I don't hold much fat at my waist and my bust didn't get too much bigger) I was glad I still had them on hand because now that I'm cutting I don't want to buy any bigger clothes that I won't need.

After my cut I may have to buy new jeans to accommodate my new muscle growth in my quads and glutes...not sure if I'll ever fit in the 4s again

To OP - I won't buy new clothes until I'm at a point that I'll want to stay...definitely rock those dresses and leggings. The alternative is to shop at a thrift store or sale racks for some in-between clothes if you're bored with what you have.