Good workouts to do in short amount of time (like lunch break etc...)?

I'm so excited to be getting back on track! I'm going to try and implement much more calorie burning exercises throughout my day. I think that's the main area where I'm slacking in my efforts to get it together after the holidays (yea I know I procrastinated!).

I work behind a desk with little to no physical activity 40 hours of my week and I do yoga (more of the calorie burning sytles like ashtanga and bikram) at home as much as possible. But I am still not burning a lot of calories because I don't have a lot of free time on my hands. This is where I'm seeking your alls advice. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who could use help with this.

What are some good calorie burning workouts that I might be able to do on my lunch breaks? Does anyone have any good ones they have found helpful or fun? Of course I can't go back to work drenched in sweat, but I'm sure there is something that might have worked for some of you who understand the on-the-go lifestyle. I have hour lunch breaks. So I'm thinking if I spend 10 to 20 minutes eating a healthy meal and the rest of the time do some excercising, I'll burn more calories and have more energy!

Thanks for the help and I hope this discussion helps more people than just me!

Ok...
1...2....3........Go!

Replies

• justjumpit278
    justjumpit278 Posts: 96 Member
    I have the same problem! I'm behind a desk for 45 hours a week - definitely doesn't help my weight problem!
    Every time I go use the bathroom (which is a lot because I drink tons of water!!) I do 10 squats or lunges. It's not a lot but it adds up to 50-60 a day. I also like to do calf raises when I can (like waiting for the copier to finish).
    Wall sits would also be an easy thing to do. And of course, you can go for a walk! If you have a sturdy chair or table, you can do tricep dips. Jumping jacks are also a good cardio workout.
    Can you keep a set of dumbbells or a resistance band at your desk? Do some bicep curls, upright rows, overhead shoulder presses, or tricep extensions.
  • JollyHodgers87
    JollyHodgers87 Posts: 165 Member
    edited March 2016
    I have the same problem! I'm behind a desk for 45 hours a week - definitely doesn't help my weight problem!
    Every time I go use the bathroom (which is a lot because I drink tons of water!!) I do 10 squats or lunges. It's not a lot but it adds up to 50-60 a day. I also like to do calf raises when I can (like waiting for the copier to finish).
    Wall sits would also be an easy thing to do. And of course, you can go for a walk! If you have a sturdy chair or table, you can do tricep dips. Jumping jacks are also a good cardio workout.
    Can you keep a set of dumbbells or a resistance band at your desk? Do some bicep curls, upright rows, overhead shoulder presses, or tricep extensions.

That's a great idea! I thought I was a crazy person because the last time I was working on my weight/ health goals (and I can't believe I'm admitting this) months ago, I would sneek and do squats, push ups, and sit ups in the bathroom at work. I had to be quick too so no one would think I was sick! LOL

If you don't mind my asking, how many squats do you do each time or throughout the day roughly?

I hadn't thought about wall sits, walking, or jumping jacks yet. I couldn't get away with the dumb bells. If I was in my own office I would but I'm right out in the open. Haha. Anyway, maybe someone will post more advice here and we will become pros. Hopefully! Thanks for responding and keep up the good work!

• amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Walking is something I do several times a day at work. I also sit at a desk 40 hours a week so just walking to the bathroom isn't enough. I work out after work as well (usually running, but I'm too much of a sweater to do this during the day)...so during the day I take two 15 minute breaks, one in the morning and one in the afternoon and I walk at least one mile each time...usually down the street and back, using a gps monitor. At lunch I eat, then take a 30 minute walk. You'd be surprised how much walking can burn and you get fresh air and head-clearing time away from your desk.
    Best of luck!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    I walk every day at lunch. 1.3 - 1.5 miles in 30 minutes, depending on the route I take.
  • JollyHodgers87
    I walk every day at lunch. 1.3 - 1.5 miles in 30 minutes, depending on the route I take.

I may try this when it gets warmer. Why do I live in a place where my face hurts to walk outside?! LOL It's too nasty out most days.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I cycle during my lunch break...usually knock out about 16 miles depending on terrain and weather conditions.
  • JollyHodgers87
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I cycle during my lunch break...usually knock out about 16 miles depending on terrain and weather conditions.

Wow! That's impressive!
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    I work behind a desk and get an hour lunch as well. I go for a 30 min walk on my lunch break and get up every so often from my desk to move my legs. I also walk in place or do arm circles or jumping jacks while at the copy machine. If you can find 5 min every hour to move your body, you'll be amazed at what you can accomplish at the end of the day.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member

That's what I do. 1.5 miles takes me about 23 minutes, give or take, and that leaves 7 for eating lunch. WhenI run, I get it done in 12-15 minutes, but my students don't appreciate me as much after the runs
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    I throw on my tennies and walk my lunch hour either outside if weather isn't too hot or circle my lobby. Honey badger don't care.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Walking is something I do several times a day at work. I also sit at a desk 40 hours a week so just walking to the bathroom isn't enough. I work out after work as well (usually running, but I'm too much of a sweater to do this during the day)...so during the day I take two 15 minute breaks, one in the morning and one in the afternoon and I walk at least one mile each time...usually down the street and back, using a gps monitor. At lunch I eat, then take a 30 minute walk. You'd be surprised how much walking can burn and you get fresh air and head-clearing time away from your desk.
    Best of luck!

I do something similar, walk at lunch and run or lift weights after work since I also sweat too much on a run to just change and go back to my desk. I treat myself and listen to audio books on my walks so I look forward to them every day. Eat at my desk after when I get back. I try to get what I'm going to get done before I get home so I don't lose motivation and end up sitting around more all evening. Also plan fun events that involve walking on weekends, hiking, meeting friends to walk around local parks, etc.
  • mish26
    mish26 Posts: 60 Member
    I really like the Sworkit app for short workouts. You can set it for as little as 5 minutes, and as long as an hour. I think. I haven't actually used it for a while because I forget about it.
  • mlcollins89
    mlcollins89 Posts: 87 Member
    Not sure if you want something that'll keep the sweat at bay, but when i'm in a crunch for time I do the Nike Training Club (app) 17min HIIT workout. I swear throughout the whole thing but at the end of the 17min i'm dripping sweat, breathing heavy and happy I got it done
  • JollyHodgers87
    mish26 wrote: »
    I really like the Sworkit app for short workouts. You can set it for as little as 5 minutes, and as long as an hour. I think. I haven't actually used it for a while because I forget about it.

I only have like 80 calories left for dinner. Over indulged a little on my lunch. Downloading the Sworkit app now because it's all I'll have time for tonight. Thanks!

• sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    I also have an office job. I am lucky to be in an office that has a fitness room that I can use if my workday isn't too crazy (I change clothes). When I don't feel like changing clothes I do squats at my desk (20 x5). My best friend in the cubicle next to me has a set of free weights she uses and keeps under her desk. We have tall-ish walls so their is a little privacy. My favorite though is running the stairs. We have 4 flights of stairs so a few times a week I lace up my running shoes and run up and walk down the stair well. It doesn't take long to get the heart rate up doing that!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Leslie Sansone walk at home had workouts from 5 min to 1 hour. You tube.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    I do Focus T25 before work. It's only 25 minutes and you will be sweating so before work is best
  • JollyHodgers87
    edited March 2016

Found this helpful. I've started doing this. Good way to burn 50-100 extra calories a day. http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-15114/a-1-minute-fitness-routine-you-can-do-in-the-bathroom.html
    It's a video of a bathroom workout. Basically it's like this. Every time you go to the bathroom at work, you use the sink to do 10 arm curls, and ten sink push ups, then 10 squats. After about 4 times, it adds up to about 5 minutes for me. So I log it as 5 minutes of calisthenics on here. It's totally cleanly since you are off the floor and are going to wash your hands anyway. And it's so quick my coworkers won't question what I'm doing in there so long! LOL I do still feel like a crazy person doing it, but it works.
  • healthyhabits98
    healthyhabits98 Posts: 7 Member
    Could you invest in a desk cycler? That way you can exersize while at work. Also once it gets warmer try walking or biking to work.
  • JollyHodgers87
    Could you invest in a desk cycler? That way you can exersize while at work. Also once it gets warmer try walking or biking to work.
    That is too cool! I've never heard of those!