Fat girl cycling

Options
Thistimesforrealxox
Thistimesforrealxox Posts: 11 Member
edited March 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi everyone, so iv just brought myself a woman's mountain bike and look forward to using it! I have a lot of weight to loose but feel super nervous about people laughing or heckling me when I'm riding my bike. Any tips?

Replies

• CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome. Well done on getting an MTB. You'll have loads of fun. I don't know where you live, but I live in rural England and have found the cycling community very friendly. Here there are different groups of cyclists... the serious road riders, the not so serious road riders, the mountain bikers, the leisure cyclists, the touring cyclists.... but generally most are friendly, wave when passing etc. I've never been heckled by other cyclists.
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I think that you'll be okay - I ride a bike and still have a lot of weight to lose. If anyone who sees me cycling has a problem with how I look on it, then that's THEIR problem, not mine. At least I am doing something in order to improve my fitness. Having said that, I've not had anyone heckling/laughing at me (or else I'm so thick skinned I don't notice). But as CollieFit says, the actual cycling community is very friendly and incredibly supportive. Just ignore anyone who isn't. You'll have loads of fun on your bike - it's a wonderful feeling.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine. One of my dearest friends is heavy, but loves cycling. I've ridden several hundred miles with her over the last couple of years, both alone and in organized group rides and I've yet to hear one peep from even the fittest, skinniest, carbon frame riding, spandex wearing roadie. We do a lot of riding on a popular mix use trail, and, at worst, people just ride past her. At best, they're friendly and encouraging.

Welcome!
  • Hilltopper1997
    Hilltopper1997 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yeah to mountain bikes! I will tell you that my mountain bike was super important in building my confidence in my own strength. I agree with all of the above. There are all kinds of bikers and almost all are very gracious and supportive. Just get out there and do it! Find some friends though. Safety first. You don't want to be on the trails alone.
  • Thistimesforrealxox
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies, feeling a lot more confident about it now. :)
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    If you can hear them heckling, speed up! I'm not sure if anyone has laughed at me, but I usually can't hear much anyway due to wind, or am too focused on the road.

If you feel a little self-conscious, check with your city/community and see if there are dedicated bike and pedestrian trails that do not run along busy streets. The people who are typically on these sorts of trails are probably more focused on the scenery or their own workout to even notice you. I'm not saying it's foolproof, but you won't encounter the possible riffraff you would riding through traffic.
  • drmryder
    drmryder Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting a bike!!!! You will love the feel of kicking it while enjoying the scenery!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    People get heckled at for just about anything these days. It's how YOU let it affect you is what you should think about.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Awesome! You will do great!

I have never seen anyone on a bike be heckled or laughed at (unless they were deliberately clowning around for attention). In my experience, the biking community and even other fitness enthusiasts are very friendly. I am reeaally slow (runners can pass me uphill), have to stop a lot, and practically fall over every time I stop (need to work on that), but no one has ever been even the slightest bit unkind to me. I know several cyclists, including my husband, and all of them are very supportive of any person starting to ride. I think at worst, you will have some people ignore you when they pass you rather than saying hello.

My advice is just focus on yourself. Make sure your bike is properly adjusted for you. Take water. If anyone tries to offer you advice, take it because they are trying to help you improve. Let faster people pass you. Always be friendly to anyone you see (my husband pointed out once how important this is for hiking and biking because people you smiled at and said hi to may be more inclined to help if you get in trouble). Most importantly, have fun!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    So what if they do? Most people aren't even looking at you and don't care what you are doing. I have had one person yell stuff at me while bicycling "Hey fatass get on the sidewalk!" I also had a group of young punks honking and being *kitten* while pushing my daughter in the stroller. So what? Who cares? I ride my bike 5 days a week during the summer and in the 5+ years I have been riding, I have been heckled ONCE. Get some thick skin. People can be jerks.
  • Thistimesforrealxox
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'm terrible for letting people's opinions get to me, gotta get some balls and get on with it I suppose, looking forward to it either way! :)
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Personally all I think when I see someone out moving...walk, run, ride...is "good for you". And I admire people that are heavier more because I know it can be mentally/physically tougher when you are carrying a lot of weight.

And the funny padded pants are worth it. :)
  • fromnebraska
    fromnebraska Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I used to worry about this too, but I've never had anyone make negative comments when I bike or run. If anything, I've had people stop to offer help when I've had a flat or had an issue with my saddle (seat). Which bike did you buy?
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Hecklers might happen, but it has nothing to do with you. For example, I heard some teenagers yell something with "fatty" in it to me just last weekend on a run. I'm 5'4" and about 118 pounds. Some people just do dumb stuff like that for no discernible reason and it reflects solely on their mental abilities, not your body or actions.

Once you start spending a lot of time outside, those incidents will probably happen to you on occasion if you're in any kind of populated area, but 99.99% of the people you pass are going to be neutral or friendly and the few that aren't, aren't the kind of people whose opinion matters.
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I've heard some nasty comments when I started jogging in the community. Generally from some snot nosed kid driving by. Best advice is to remember you are lapping everyone on the couch. In the warmer weather there are generally several people out on my route. My favs are the ones who have the jiggly bellies waving back to me. I know they, like me, are out there to be better. I always wave and keep going. I'm grateful for everyone out there that struggles along the way. There's a gal I pass every now and again going to opposite direction on roller blades. I think I need them now. Best of luck to you on your journey. Remember it's not about the common folks who you will never see again, but about the person looking back at you in the mirror everyday. Keep your focus and you.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Live your life without giving the negative opinions of others getting in your way.

Have you ever seen a person stop a fat girl on a bike and tell her to go home, she's too fat to be on a bike? Nope. Just carry on focusing on your own opinions of yourself and enjoy your bike.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    Hecklers might happen, but it has nothing to do with you. For example, I heard some teenagers yell something with "fatty" in it to me just last weekend on a run. I'm 5'4" and about 118 pounds. Some people just do dumb stuff like that for no discernible reason and it reflects solely on their mental abilities, not your body or actions.

I think that's important. It seems like women are more likely to get heckled, and I've had people yell things at me out of moving cars a lot while running. I usually can't understand them. I doubt it's my weight as same thing happened when I was much thinner. More about them than you. I bet all the cyclists are thinking, "good for her!"
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.”
    Eleanor Roosevelt
  • mlcollins89
    mlcollins89 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Well done on getting that bike and making a better life for YOU. If people laugh or heckle (what kind of person does this?!) that's THEIR problem. You just keep peddling away.
  • Burger2066
    Burger2066 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    People will heckle, it is just how they are. I get heckled on my bike all the time (usually just a car honking), and I did when I was in shape to ride a 100 mile ride in the Texas summer... So don't take any heckling to be about your physical shape, people just have a fear of bikes just like when dogs bark at them. Ha. You're doing this for you, not for them. Stay focused on that.