Pre-workout thoughts

Options
2»

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I like having a coffee, or the mio energy and electrolytes. Sometimes it is coffee pre and mio during. At once point, I was even taking ginseng, but even if I took it earlier in the day, it still disturbed my sleep.
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Forty6and2 wrote: »
    At first, I was expecting a Buzzfeed-style post about what you think directly before a workout. I was going to say that mine are either "Oh, god do I have to do this? Can I just eat less and achieve the same thing? Do I really want to move? UGHHHHH!!!!" or "OMG. I'M SO EXCITED! I'M GONNA RUN AND I'M GONNA GET ON THE ELLIPTICAL AND I'M GONNA PICK SOME STUFF UP AND PUT IT DOWN AND IT WILL BE THE BEST TIME OF MY LIFE."

There is no in between.

But to address the real question. Coffee. Coffee is good.

That was my thought as well!
    Mine are time dependent it seems. If at lunch during work - then "yay! big break from work!"
    If at ANY other time "Ugh changing sucks. Travelling sucks. My basement sucks. Why does everything on either side of exercise suck so much"

My other thing is having to talk to people at the front desk at the gym. If I don't go to the gym, I don't have to have human contact! But I also work at my gym so I'll inevitably have to have contact with them anyway.
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I use C4 as well, I find it definitely gives me the energy to get through my 2 hour workouts. That being said, since I'm personally pretty tiny I use it as both a preworkout and an intraworkout. If I down it too quickly or on an empty stomach the beta alanine makes my face tingly.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I just pop an effervescent vitamin c in some water. :/
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I think by and large they are a marketing gimmick. All that stuff just makes me jittery and hyperactive and cranks my blood pressure up all day long which I'm already hypertensive, so a no go. Even if you're not hypertensive, having your blood pressure jacked up all day because of stimulants produces the same effect on the body...which isn't a desirable thing. It's just a bunch of hype...ermergrd, if you don't take this your workout is going to suck...

For the average and even above average Joe/Jane, I see little benefit to cramming a bunch of stimulants into your body...some coffee and a solid diet should do you just fine IMO.
  • ryanbrowning115
    ryanbrowning115 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    mscote12 wrote: »
    Yes I do...if I find I am having trouble sleeping when using the pre-workout...I will make adjustments or stop using them, easy as that.

From my experience there was a little too much caffeine for me with C4. While it gives you energy, having the main active ingredient in a preworkout be caffeine can be counter productive if you are looking for something to help you with focus and pump, and not keep you wired all night. I like Liporidex PRE/T because I can take it in the evening and it does not keep me up, but also has ingredients that help bring more blood to your muscles, instead of just caffeine which can restrict blood vessels and have the opposite effect. I would take recommendations from people, but ultimately do your own research and see if you have the option to sample things first to find what works best for you.
  • mscote12
    mscote12 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. I did try half a scoop of C4 this morning before my bootcamp class...the serving size is 1 scoop but I was a little nervous since I didn't know what to expect. I will try a full scoop next time...at least it tastes good lol