Remaining Calories

Options
I emailed Chris and Heidi Powell, I asked them if I should eat the calories remaining in either apps. I want to lose more than 2lbs per week. They recommend that I do not eat the remaining calories in order to create a greater deficit. Any other opinions would be helpful. Thanks :smiley:

Garmin: goal 1500+ active 773= adjusted goal 2273
Adjusted goal 2273 - Consumed 1302 = remaining 971

MFP: goal 1500 - food 1303 + exercise 724 = remaining 921

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Who?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Eat back at least half your calories burned
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    you need to fuel your body; would you ask a car to perform the same with less gasoline?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have no idea who those people are. I don't suggest eating at a 40-45% deficit unless under medical care.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You have the opinions of both Chris and Heidi along with the opinions of Garmin and MFP. Aaaaaaand now you're crowdsourcing to collect even more opinions? Is this an election? Super Thursday for Calories?

I don't have any idea how those people are but the advice the have given you is very very bad.

Chris Powell
    Heidi Powell
  • jofjltncb6
    edited March 2016
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I have no idea who those people are. I don't suggest eating at a 40-45% deficit unless under medical care.

But Chris and Heidi say otherwise.

So do that for a few weeks and learn for yourself how awful training is at an extreme deficit. It's a lesson when learned firsthand is not quickly forgotten.

ETA: Okay, fine...or listen to the other much better advice you've gotten so far in this thread instead. :wink:
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I don't know who Chris and Heidi Powell are, but they sound like two people I would not take further advice from on how to lose weight in a healthy manner.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I don't know who Chris and Heidi Powell are, but they sound like two people I would not take further advice from on how to lose weight in a healthy manner.

I don't know. Have you seen Chris? I haven't seen Heidi but for his eyes, I'd forego my exercise calories. I'd probably end up in a hangry rage but I would until then.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

I don't know. Have you seen Chris? I haven't seen Heidi but for his eyes, I'd forego my exercise calories. I'd probably end up in a hangry rage but I would until then.

This isn't a choose-your-option thread in chit-chat.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    They wrote a book about lifelong weight loss in 21 days.

Next stop for them . . . a guess spot on
    Igm16ED.jpg
  • malinalee700
    malinalee700 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    They are they trainers from the Extreme Weight loss series.
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Who?

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    They are they trainers from the Extreme Weight loss series.
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Who?

Still never heard of 'em...but based on that title, I stand by my previous post.
  • malinalee700
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Wow, I didn't expect to see such fast results for responses. I wish the first few would elaborate as to some science based reasoning or links, reasons that back the opinions would be helpful....I do appreciate the feedback...
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    His show is called "Extreme Weight Loss" so I'm not surprised his approach is going to be to drop the weight quickly. I expect Bob Harper would advise similarly.

He is very VERY pretty but that doesn't necessarily mean his advice is sound. But then again, I have no idea how much detail you gave them in your email, as to how much weight you have to lose and how long you plan to keep a greater deficit, and exactly what your deficits and intake look over the course of weeks or months.

According to the examples you gave, it appears that you're not even hitting your 1500 calorie goal, though? If that's the case, I don't see why you're staying so far under. Especially if you're exercising.
  • malinalee700
    Options
    could you elaborate as why you think their opinion is bad?
    DavPul wrote: »
    You have the opinions of both Chris and Heidi along with the opinions of Garmin and MFP. Aaaaaaand now you're crowdsourcing to collect even more opinions? Is this an election? Super Thursday for Calories?

I don't have any idea how those people are but the advice the have given you is very very bad.

Chris Powell
    Heidi Powell

• malinalee700
    Options
    HI Malina: On the Extreme Cycle, we recommend consuming 1500 calories a day, and we also recommend that women never go below 1200 calories a day. And you don't want to eat back any calories you burn through exercise and your daily activities - those go towards your daily calorie deficit, which leads to lost pounds. It's like this: calories consumed - calories burned = calorie deficit (lose weight) -or- calorie surplus (gain weight). Hope that helps! smile emoticon

A rule of thumb for figuring the amount of calories your body uses each day is to multiply your weight times 12. Consuming lower than that figure will help you lose weight, and any additional calories burned through exercise will only further you in your goals. We recommend creating a 500-1,000 calorie daily deficit for successful weight loss. Find out more about calories here: http://heidipowell.net/5366.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    The only reason people on their show succeed at all is because they start out morbidly obese and have an incredible support system. Even then, many fall short as soon as they are given any leeway.

Find a sustainable solution, eat enough to fuel your body.
  • jemhh
    Options
    I posted my thoughts on this yesterday and don't feel like typing them out again so here's the link:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10344934/why-is-slow-weight-loss-good/p1
  • jemhh
    Options
    HI Malina: On the Extreme Cycle, we recommend consuming 1500 calories a day, and we also recommend that women never go below 1200 calories a day. And you don't want to eat back any calories you burn through exercise and your daily activities - those go towards your daily calorie deficit, which leads to lost pounds. It's like this: calories consumed - calories burned = calorie deficit (lose weight) -or- calorie surplus (gain weight). Hope that helps! smile emoticon

A rule of thumb for figuring the amount of calories your body uses each day is to multiply your weight times 12. Consuming lower than that figure will help you lose weight, and any additional calories burned through exercise will only further you in your goals. We recommend creating a 500-1,000 calorie daily deficit for successful weight loss. Find out more about calories here: http://heidipowell.net/5366.

So these people view exercise as a means to lose weight. I view exercise as a way to become more fit, thus I fuel it. I don't see the allure of being famished and exhausted but hey, different strokes for different folks.