Surgery date is coming faster than I'm ready! **Women only q

Options
I run 42.4 miles in 3 days at the Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend in January 2011. I spent my miles holding my bra up to keep the weight off my shoulders. I have all the typical problems that qualify me for a breast reduction. I met with two doctors and both agreed along with my regular doc who sent me for the referral. I finally got the insurance approved for the surgery but I'm starting to freak out. Wondering if anyone else has been through the surgery and had second thoughts during the weeks leading up to the surgery. I know the benefit of no more back pain and the indents in my shoulders. I'll be able to run without pain (well without the pain from this problem) However I'm a small 42 DD. I say small b/c docs says I'm on the smaller side of what they normally see however I do still suffer from the problems. I'm worried I'll have too much removed. I have always been "big" chested. I don't want to go from big to small. I want to still look normal and have a chest (if that makes sense). I have to have a certain amount removed via insurnace reasons. I have the surgery on July 8th but worried I should cancel it since I'm not 100% sure. I can't have it done until next February if I don't go through with it in July. (Due to races, vacation plans, and a few other reasons) Am I just freaking out for no reason? Has anyone else experienced this? I'm usually the one taking care of family not being the one who needs help and I'm not looking forward to being off my feet or the needy one.

Replies

• allystone
    allystone Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I had a friend go through it and she stated it was the best thing she's ever done, Just do it. It'll make for a better you.
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    One of my in-laws had it done as a teenager. She went down to a full C and was THRILLED. After that I always saw her in a bikini top.

HOWEVER, if you are unsure, wait.
  • Perfectlycrooked
    Perfectlycrooked Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I don't think they'll make it so durastic that it's scary. I think they'll only remove what's necesary to make you more comfortable. I think you'll be glad you got it done anyways(:
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who had it done too, she went down to a C, she is SOO happy
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    My advice is to do it, and enjoy. I would suggest talking to your doctor about the preservation of milk ducts if you plan on having kids (some docs will tell you they can't, but that's just laziness talking--there are methods for protecting/preserving them). Other than that, I don't see anything but good in this for you. Good luck!

Kris
  • Soccer_Chick
    Soccer_Chick Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Bump to ready later.

Good luck.
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    I haven't known anyone or had it done myself, but this is what I think... I think the girls are getting in the way of YOU. I see that it bothers you and you want a solution. In fact, you have a solution and you're worried because surgery is no joke. I think that's normal. I think they won't take too much and that there will be a recovery period, but you will be glad you did it. Best of luck to you and our thoughts are with you in recovery if/when you do it..
  • demery12371
    demery12371 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I had mine done in 2003 and I had the same worries but the end result was what pushed me through. It was the BEST thing I have ever done for myself. They took 4 pounds and I still had plenty of breasts left and looked like I lost 20 pounds because I was able to stand up better/straighter and my migraines went completely away...

I reccommend this to anyone!!! (Well larger chested women anyway) :)
    Good Luck and You'll do just fine!! :)
  • Tereztaylor07
    Options
    I had a friend who had it done and she is still thrilled 5 years later. Just personal experience but I have lost a cup size from a full C to a B and at first it sucked a little. But I actually think my chest looks great a little smaller, and it's nice to have perky little boobs instead of big ones. You will still look great so I wouldn't sweat it.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RoseVernon
    RoseVernon Posts: 88
    Options
    If you're not completely sure I think you should wait. I was a 36E and sometimes 36EE depending on the bra style. After I lost 25 pounds I'm now a 34D and love my new size. I'm wondering after you're done with your weight loss journey if you loose a lot from your chest too. What does your husband think about it?

Best of luck and well wishes either way!!
  • Kathryn72
    Kathryn72 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My SIl and her BFF both had breast reductions about 13 years ago. Neither one of them have regretted it for a second. They were about your cup size and have both gone down to probably a C cup. Both are still very well endowed but now they can wear bras from "regular" stores, shirts that button up properly, tops and jackets that fit. Both of them looked like they had lost 20 pounds.

Recovery will be strenuous, but you're in good shape, right? When SIL had her surgery, she had a 4 year old, 2 year old and 1 year old at home and she wasn't allowed to lift anything!! If she can make it through under those circumstances, I think you do just fine!

Best of luck!
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    This is what I was thinking. It seems some of us loose a cup size or so with weightloss not sure how much more to your goal. I would say talk to your doctor about your concerns.
    If you're not completely sure I think you should wait. I was a 36E and sometimes 36EE depending on the bra style. After I lost 25 pounds I'm now a 34D and love my new size. I'm wondering after you're done with your weight loss journey if you loose a lot from your chest too. What does your husband think about it?

Best of luck and well wishes either way!!
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I know you said women only, but I could not resist. My only thought is to see how you look AFTER you hit your weight loss goal. You have 32 lbs to go.

I have lost 42 lbs, and I lost it everywhere--places I did not even realize I had fat (arm pits, throat, jawline) plus all the obvious places (belly, butt). I would expect that you might get some reduction just from weight loss. If it is still an issue after you reach your weight target, you could still get the surgery.

Also, I have a friend who doubles up on the sports bra when she runs, so that might help in the meantime.

Just my $.02. I understand the hesitation for surgery.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    no more kids for me. 3 csections later and I'm done (love my kids but 3 is all I can handle!). I talked to them and they said no matter what they have to remove the min amt required by insurance. I just hope it's not too much. They can't give me a "cup size" b/c everyone's tissue is a different weight. I have 2 friends who went through it and they said it was the best thing they've ever done. They were bigger than me but they look great. They said pain they had in their back is gone. They also said they didn't realize some of the pain they were having until it was gone after the surgery. I've been thinking about this since last September. I started training in July 2010 for races and thats when I started to realize the problems. I've honestly tried a lot of things to help (2 sport bras, different styles, etc...) My doc was shocked I haven't looked into it sooner.

I have a family daycare of 12 kids. No lifting 10lbs or more for the first few weeks. I have a niece, sister, and a cousin that can help me so I can keep daycare going. I won't have this option in the future if I wait. Just got really lucky to have them this summer due to college plans. Plus my husband travels a lot for work so this would be an issue in the future too.
  • Daisy_May
    Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I had a reduction 2.5 years ago, first let me say it was the best thing I have ever done in my entire life, I wish I had of done it way sooner! I went from a 38H to a 38 DD.

But if you’re looking for actual advice on how recovery was I'm not going to sugar coat it because it was better off being prepared. I was sent home the same day and I think it was a really bad move on their part, I was a mess, a drugged up mess though so I don't remember much from the first day or two but I'm told I was not in good shape.
    The first week I slept almost all the time, the pain was pretty bad but I made sure to get up and at lest walk around to avoid blood clots. I had a home nurse come and change my dressing and empty my tubes and this is where my problems started, she kept the tubes in WAY longer then my surgeon instructed and I got a pretty bad infection. So with that it took me a good month to get back on my feet and another month before my energy came back.

With all that being said, I couldn't be happier with my decision. My scares are minimal but I did lose sensation in most of my breasts (other then the nipple, thank god for small favours!) my back pain is completely gone and I can buy pretty bras now!!

A few hints from my recovery, buy a body pillow or two I propped myself up on both sides with them and it helped.
    Buy PJ's that button up, trust me you do not want to lift your arms to change.
    This sounds gross but pads (like for your period) really made the best dressing for the wounds.
    Sleep, sleep sleep! Give your body the rest it needs and don’t' rush back to your day to day routine!
    I also froze a few meals so I wouldn't have to worry about cooking for the fist week :-)
    If you have any questions feel free to email me!
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I can't say, all I can say is that I think I would do it. If I was having pain, if they were causing me grief and interfering with the things I love to do, I'd do it.

I'm wishing you all the luck!

Kris
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I had the surgery Oct. 15, 2010. I'm now a full D. To be honest, it was a hard recovery. It was a rough two weeks, and a hard recovery. I was lucky and didn't need tubes, but it was still a tough recovery. Ok, and I was lucky that I had an AMAZING surgeon, and my mom and step dad are both RNs, so they could check on me over the first week.

That being said, I am sooooo happy with my decision.

A DD is the borderline for getting the operation, and if you are still planning on losing weight, I might say put it off. If you are already at your ideal weight, then go ahead. If you have any doubts, it might be better to wait. It's not something to take lightly, that's for sure.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I know you said women only, but I could not resist. My only thought is to see how you look AFTER you hit your weight loss goal. You have 32 lbs to go.

I have lost 42 lbs, and I lost it everywhere--places I did not even realize I had fat (arm pits, throat, jawline) plus all the obvious places (belly, butt). I would expect that you might get some reduction just from weight loss. If it is still an issue after you reach your weight target, you could still get the surgery.

Also, I have a friend who doubles up on the sports bra when she runs, so that might help in the meantime.

Just my $.02. I understand the hesitation for surgery.

I did talk to my regular doc about this same thought. We looked back at my medical chart over the past 10 yrs. My weight has gone up and down from 150 to 240. I seem to keep getting bigger even when I took the weight off. Once my husband gets home this week from working on the road we really need to sit down and talk. It's hard to discuss over the phone something like this. He's my best friend and I know he'll be honest. (He thinks waiting would be a good thing too to see what happens but he also watches me run with tears from pain.) It's hard to struggle through something I love to do when I know surgery would help.

I know this probably sounds crazy to some but I also haven't told very many people. I'm affraid what they'll think. My mother in law has already given me a hard time b/c she thinks I'm crazy to do it. (She's an opinionated woman, 350lbs, nurse who only sees bad things happen since she works in the hospital on surgery floor. She thinks I can just put up with it and learn to deal with it)
  • BillieBrink
    Options
    I had it done 10 years ago and 6 pounds taken off. It is wonderful. The surgery actually gives you support that you did not have before. As all of your friends busts are sagging, yours will not be. Right after surgery, I had funny little pains in my back because I was actually standing up straight and my shoulders were back where they are supposed to be. The confidence is great too. My fellow co worker just had it done last year, she is very happy. The recovery is not easy but it is well worth it for the rest of your life! Good luck, I would not delay. I wished I had done mine before I did it.